• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tuesday 8th July - Latest News on the OFT v Banks Test Case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tuesday 8th July - Latest News on the OFT v Banks Test Case

so even the judge recons its a done deal behind closed doors then :-( very disapointing.

Borgbaiter

Comment

Seems he may think that, but is pushing for the case to continue to a proper conclusion.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

hi well at long last i have found the order from judge bryce as follows

AT A HEARING ON TUESDAY 8TH jANUARY 2008 before District Judge Bryce sitting at The law Courts Chapel Street Blackpool, Lancashire

the judge heard the Claimant in person: and council for the Defendant
        and made the following Order

1) The Claimant's application to be remove the stay is dismissed.

2) It is recorded that the value of the claim is £3117.02 plus interest.

Comment

After promising so much, today was a great disappointment.

RBS has not finished their penalty submissions so the court will sit again in the morning. There is a chance that the judge will hand down his judgment on whether historical T&Cs are subject to the fairness test so I'll attend.

Comment

Be nice if he does - you think its likely ? I assume he can't hand down judgement on the penalty aspect seeing as he is only just hearing the arguments for the specific clauses.

Some interesting bits came up today so not a complete disappointment in my eyes.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Thanks once again Nick for attending and Amethyst for relaying the info to everyone here. We all knew this would take time and include subsequent appeals. The matters are quite complex and IMO Judge Smith is being meticulous in dealing with each aspect of the case. His suggestions regarding the injunction, appeal timescales etc shows he is trying to keep a the case fluid and address as many of the publics concerns as soon as possible.

Hopefully tomorrow may bring something a bit more exciting than Amethyst :behindsofa: managing to scare the "plop" out of Tanz . Welcome outspoken, we haven`t been that scary so far have we?
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post

Hopefully tomorrow may bring something a bit more exciting than Amethyst :behindsofa: managing to scare the "plop" out of Tanz . Welcome outspoken, we haven`t been that scary so far have we?
                Oi, nothings more exciting than that xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Yes well done so far.

thought provoking comments along the way.
                  "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Great effort people thanks

It's disappointing that the OFT have not taken the Judges hint about applying for an injunction

Comment

It was a tough day to make any sense of today. There was so many isssues being covered and then revisited at such a pace it was diffcult to keep focussed so I appologise if I'm a bit vague on where we are.

Here is some further - random - stuff from today.

The judge is very concerned at still not being in a postion to give the go ahead to proceed with stayed cases. He was particularly concerned with claimants who were ''desparate'' for a refund. The OFT ruling on fairness appears to be holding this up.

There is talk of a further CMC in October.

The judge said that the appeal hearing at the court of appeal, that looks like it'll be in November, Will go on for ''months''

No indication has been given as to when the judgment on historical penalties will be handed down. It is possible the his judgment on historical UTCCRs will be tomorrow.

There was a wonderful moment when the HSBC QC was going through a customer scenerio of charges when it became apparent to the judge that one charge amounted to £48. The judge said ''£48? That's the highest one we've had so far!'' and he smiled to himself and shook his head in disbelief while scoping the bank's legal teams for a response! It was very funny.

Comment

Thank you for this information.

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post

It's disappointing that the OFT have not taken the Judges hint about applying for an injunction
                          The OFT won't be able to issue an injuntion until they rule the charges unfair.

The OFT have promised to make a decision by the end of July. They will then consult with the banks on their findings. The judge is keen to make the findings public asap.

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post

I had a feeling thats what the news was going to be. Maybe this will surprise us tomorrow you never know.

Comment

It appears that now they may win something the OFT are backing off & actually frustrating the process by delaying it

Comment

It starts at 10.30 this morning. I can't see it lasting very long.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X