• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bet company settlement - are they now liable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I meant second chance above. Typo.

Comment

But the loss of chance follows the loss of the free bets.
      There is no loss of chance without loss of free bets. so I could see they should run together

​​​​​​​But hey I've been wrong before!

Comment

No the loss of the free bets happened afterwards

Comment

des8 the free bets were to be used to place the bets which are the subject of the loss of chance claim.

Having mucked that up, they then closed my account where the free bets were sitting, waiting to be used, based on the lie of verbal abuse of their staff.
          Last edited by dido; 8th January 2019, 11:51:AM.

Comment

This has been a long thread, and I don't intend rereading it!
            I understood that you had a dispute with the company.
            It was settled with an offer of cash and free bets, which you accepted.
            On the basis of that you bought information from a tipster but were unable to place those bets because the betting company had subsequently closed your account.
            The tips went on to win.

I would make it one claim
            They broke a settlement offer which caused you a subsequent loss.
            Why go through two court cases?

Comment

Lol thank you for all your help des8 . To clarify - they did not place the free bets in my account and so I could not use the tips I purchased which would have gone on to win. that is the Loss of the chance.

The current case is something I never even brought up here in this thread as it happened afterwards - i.e. their closing my account without my using the 1K of free bets which were in there. That's what the current Court case is pursuing.

Comment

I'm easily confused:
                " they did not place the free bets in my account "
                "their closing my account without my using the 1K of free bets which were in there."

Is there not a contradiction there?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                  I'm easily confused:
                  " they did not place the free bets in my account "
                  "their closing my account without my using the 1K of free bets which were in there."

Is there not a contradiction there?
                  No. They DID place the free bets in the account...eventually. And then they closed it.

Comment

Hello all.

I am ready to litigate this matter now. As you might recall, I am holding this bookmaker responsible for telling me I would have free bet credit available to use on a given day and this in fact was not the case.

I lost money I could have won betting using these funds, and am suing for these lost winnings. This is a loss of chance case.

des8*you previously stated I might have a case given that I only need to show I relied on the (incorrect) information. I am wondering whether the other side could argue that time was not stated by me of being of the essence, and what would be my counter argument to this? did it need to be stated as such?

Comment

I haven't read back (84 posts!) and can't think why time should be of the essence.
                      Why do you think they may try and use it as an argument?
                      I recall you were given some free bets which were not available when you went to use them.
                      Your chosen results following a paid tipster's advice & using those free bets would have won you a considerable amount.

Comment

Exactly des8
                        *but they have told me that their stating I would have access to the free bets that day is not good enough to claim loss of chance. They have told me I should have told them that I NEEEDED them that day. They think that I was obligated to tell them that time was of the essence.*

Comment

That sounds like a legal team grasping at straws to me

Comment

I thought so too. So if I relied on them when they told me that "the bets would be available that day" and they were not, they could not state later "well, he didn't tell us that timing was important"? It is enough that I relied on their information?

Comment

For time to be of the essence, it needs to be so stated within the contract, altho' in some contracts it could be implied (eg when dealing with perishable goods)

Comment

I've not read back the whole thread, but as I understand it you paid for tips and couldn't place free bets that were part of a settlement.

Rather than the winning amount, I think you'll end up with the value of the free bets you were denied and the amount you paid for the tips.

I have been wrong before, but I just don't see a judge awarding the winnings.
                                COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X