• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tm legal letter before action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tm legal letter before action

Received a letter before action from Tm legal regarding a debt that was purchased by perch capital from 118 money.The original creditor 118 money upheld my irresponsible lending claim then sold the remaining balance to perch capital.Are there any thoughts regarding the original credit agreement as to whether this would be enforceable in the county court as I believe the agreement with 118 money admitting irresponsible lending would render any agreement nullified .
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

You can make that argument to the Judge / Court, if they lodge a Court Claim against you.
    Then it will be down to the Judge / Court to make a decision.
    Have you got the relevant documents? 118 Money, irresponsible lending etc.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      You can make that argument to the Judge / Court, if they lodge a Court Claim against you.
      Then it will be down to the Judge / Court to make a decision.
      Have you got the relevant documents? 118 Money, irresponsible lending etc.
      Yes I have a email from 118 saying that they upheld claim and have sent two emails to Tm legal stating this but have had no replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangy1963 View Post

Yes I have a email from 118 saying that they upheld claim and have sent two emails to Tm legal stating this but have had no replies.
        Await a response, then update the thread.

If they don't respond, lodge a complaint, follow the complaints procedure on their website.

They can't just not respond.

Comment

What was the outcome?

Comment

They have responded saying the hold on the account has passed and threatening legal action ect.

Comment

They have responded saying the hold on the account has passed and threatening legal action ect.
              Did you lodge a formal complaint as per post No. 4.

Comment

Yes they replied by saying 118 had repaid interest and charges on the account and they have bought the remainder and are continuing to adhere to the credit agreement.
                I would of thought the agreement would be nullified and not enforceable after 118 had held there hands up to the irresponsible way they gave me account.

Comment

Yes they replied by saying 118 had repaid interest and charges on the account and they have bought the remainder and are continuing to adhere to the credit agreement.
                  I would of thought the agreement would be nullified and not enforceable after 118 had held there hands up to the irresponsible way they gave me account.
                  You have your Defence (irresponsible lending etc), if they want to look stupid in front of the Judge, so be it. Let them start proceedings i.e. Court Claim.

Comment

Just received the court claim from Northampton county court from Tm legal need a little help with this one as stated before this claim is for the remainder of a balance perch capital purchased from 118 money, 118 money upheld a irresponsible lending claim on the account and sold the balance to perch.
                    I believe the credit agreement would not stand up in court can anyone back this up with the relevant legislation ie under the consumer credit act.
                    Allso would I use this as my first defence or should I go through the asking for documents first any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Copy and paste the following back onto the thread, without personal details.

Received a claim? Yes/No:
                      Issue Date:
                      Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:
                      Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
                      Claimant’s Name:
                      Solicitors Firm:
                      Original Creditor:
                      Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) :
                      Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
                      Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):
                      List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
                      Any Other Information or Background Details:

Comment

Received a claim? Yes

Issue Date: 07 August 2024

Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: no

Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000). £800

Claimant’s Name: perch capital

Solicitors Firm: Tm legal

Original Creditor: 118 money

Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : loan

Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):The claimant claims payment of an overdue balance in the sum of xxxx incurred by the defendant under a 118 118 money unsecured loan account no xxxxxxxx .The defendant failed to maintain payments in line with the agreement and the account has now matured.The account was then subsequently assigned to the claimant and the defendant has been given notice of the accounts assigned.

Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): not statue barred

List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): no letters sent

Any Other Information or Background Details: original creditor 118 money upheld irresponsible lending claim, the balance was sold to perch capital.

Comment

a) First Acknowledge the Claim, you can do this online via MCOL, this will give you 28 days (plus 5 days postal) in total to work on your defence.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ledge-a-claim/

b) Send a SAR request to 118 Money, they have 30 days to provide all the data they hold on the account. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

c) Send a CCA request to Perch Capital they have 12 days to provide a copy of the original agreement. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...etter-example/

d) Send a CPR 31.14 request to TM Legal, they have 7 days to provide all the documents they are relying on to make the claim against you, again get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-of-documents/

e) This is an example Defence, start looking at it, don't fill or file it with the Court or their solicitors yet.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

Don't speak to creditors, solicitors etc over the phone, everything in writing. Keep on top of this, especially dates for filing defence etc. Workout when your Defence is due, 28 days from the date on the claim form (plus 5 days postal). If you can post on the thread 5 days before it's due we can help with your Defence.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
                            a) First Acknowledge the Claim, you can do this online via MCOL, this will give you 28 days (plus 5 days postal) in total to work on your defence.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ledge-a-claim/

b) Send a SAR request to 118 Money, they have 30 days to provide all the data they hold on the account. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

c) Send a CCA request to Perch Capital they have 12 days to provide a copy of the original agreement. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...etter-example/

d) Send a CPR 31.14 request to TM Legal, they have 7 days to provide all the documents they are relying on to make the claim against you, again get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-of-documents/

e) This is an example Defence, start looking at it, don't fill or file it with the Court or their solicitors yet.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

Don't speak to creditors, solicitors etc over the phone, everything in writing. Keep on top of this, especially dates for filing defence etc. Workout when your Defence is due, 28 days from the date on the claim form (plus 5 days postal). If you can post on the thread 5 days before it's due we can help with your Defence.
                            Hi there I have adapted the defence template as I have had no reply from all requests I have made.I trust when I submit my defence the court will give them time to reply, the only thing I am not sure about is to include in my defence at this stage the irresponsible lending admission by the original creditor 118 money,would I be able to update the defence if they reply back to the court with the documention I have requested .
                            many thanks

Comment

Hi there I have adapted the defence template as I have had no reply from all requests I have made.I trust when I submit my defence the court will give them time to reply, the only thing I am not sure about is to include in my defence at this stage the irresponsible lending admission by the original creditor 118 money,would I be able to update the defence if they reply back to the court with the documention I have requested .
                              many thanks
                              Providing mediation is 'unsuccessful', 'irresponsible lending' can be highlighted in your Witness Statement with corresponding evidence.

When you say 'adapted defence', what do you mean?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X