• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Judgement query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judgement query

Hi, Can I have some advice please.
    Money claim online done and was road to add any trading names of the business so I did.... .mr Joe blogs t/a blogs repairs.

Fast forward to beginning of march had final hearing which defendant didn't turn up (didn't turn up for anything throuought or engage apart from respond to initial claim notification online).

I was awarded a judgement where judge said this will impact him financially such as credit etc.... and he has 14days to pay when he gets the letter.

Both received the letter says I'm awarded the sum of £xxxx. The letter has at the top me and Joe blogs t/a blogs repairs. In the boxes to the right says me as claimant and defendant as Mr Joe blogs.

Hes told me he'll pay 50 a month on the 1st and not received it today and he's said he's closing the business.

I've told him that it's irrelevant closing the business as sole trader not limited company so debt will still be owing and that I will take further.

He said there's no ccj against him as he's checked his credit file. He also said any judgement or ccj will be against blogs repairs and not him.

Here's my questions.

Who's right about the name ?

Why wasn't the judgement a ccj but instead a judgement order?

Thanks.

Tags: None

ccj = county court judgement. That is what the "judgement order" is.

What means of enforcement have you tried so far?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi, so far he contacted me when he had the letter and said he wants to pay but can only do instalments so i agreed to the amount he said he can afford. This was about 2weeks ago and said he will set up a standing order 1st of each month starting February. Been messaging today that it is set up and showing as pending from his end - no sign of it yet.

The lady in the court when I called said because its not a default judgement which would have meant a recorded ccj i have a judgement order which is not a ccj i have to apply to the court to enforce the judgement to make it a ccj then back to court again to have bailiffs, etc....
      I'll post the letter in a few minutes after covering the data​​​​​​

Comment

Comment

Ask the court to add it to the register of unsatisfied judgements.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Oh can they do that? Thought I would have to complete a form and send a fee again to enforce it using other means.

Comment

Yes, if you want to enforce by other means.

Registering a judgement is not enforcement: it does not directly lead to your being paid. If the judgment sum is more than £600, consider getting High Court Enforcement officers involved.

Comment

Thanks. I'm just surprised that there is nothing on the register for him as I was led to believe when the judge awarded me the win.
                I paid £8 this morning to even check for myself.

if i can request the court to add it to the register why wasnt it in the first instance?
                and also am I right in saying that whether he shuts his business the debt is still his as he's a sole trader even if the court papers state Mr Joe blogs t/a blogs repairs?

Comment

Q2: yes.

Comment

Court has said that if he defaults then I approach them to enforce the order which then gets recorded on his credit file. Once recorded i can then take further action bailiffs, charge etc....

Comment

Originally posted by richje100 View Post
                      Court has said that if he defaults then I approach them to enforce the order which then gets recorded on his credit file. Once recorded i can then take further action bailiffs, charge etc....
                      He has defaulted, he failed to pay the judgement within the 14 days ordered and he has failed to pay the alternative agreement to pay you made with him. He defaulted yesterday and the wheels should now start turning on this.

In terms of enforcement if you make an application for a Warrant of Control (County Court) or Writ of Control (High Court for judgements over £600) the cost of that application is added to the value of the judgement, so whilst you have to pay now to escalate enforcement you would get that back in the end (assuming the Bailiff or High Court Enforcement Officers can get him to pay).

If it was me, I'd advise him that I'm intending to apply for enforcement, but you want to give him the benefit of the doubt before making his situation worse. Ask him to show you a screen grab of the payment and it's status and explain what he's doing to try to resolve it?

If his answer isn't satisfactory then you know he's just stalling and to get on with enforcement.
                      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. He made his first £50 instalment today and I've checked with my bank and he has set it up as a standing order so hopefully he continues.

Comment

I agreed to instalments because he said if it goes back to the court he would not be able to pay anything and would be less so I gave him benefit of the doubt and so that I'm seen as being reasonable.

Comment

Glad it has all been resolved and he’s now paying, you did the right thing being reasonable, not just for how it looks to court. He owes you money, but he’s clearly not having the best of time right now.
                            COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Good news that the money has started to come through.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X