• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - CABOT Financial (UK) Ltd/Mortimer Clarke Solicitors/Capital One

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court Claim - CABOT Financial (UK) Ltd/Mortimer Clarke Solicitors/Capital One

Originally posted by KjGarly View Post
    Just got off the phone with CCBC and the lady I spoke to said the case was stayed on the 19th of this month. Wasn't sure if Cabot had applied to carry on due to being behind with claims at the moment but told me if they hadn't applied by the 19th and they try after then they'd need to pay a fee or something to start again.
    That's right Cabot will have to pay a fee to lift the stay and continue the claim.

If the stay is not lifted in a few weeks then you have some choices leave as is. Apply to the court for the claim to be struck out (fee payable), or invite the claimant to discontinue the claim at their cost.

nem

Comment

Re: Court Claim - CABOT Financial (UK) Ltd/Mortimer Clarke Solicitors/Capital One

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
      That's right Cabot will have to pay a fee to lift the stay and continue the claim.

If the stay is not lifted in a few weeks then you have some choices leave as is. Apply to the court for the claim to be struck out (fee payable), or invite the claimant to discontinue the claim at their cost.

nem
      Will the court notify me when I have those choices to make? Or will I need to ring them again in a couple of weeks? Thanks for all the help, without it I honestly wouldn't have known what to do at all, really appreciate it!

Comment

[QUOTE=KjGarly;644815]Will the court notify me when I have those choices to make? Or will I need to ring them again in a couple of weeks? Thanks for all the help, without it I honestly wouldn't have known what to do at all, really appreciate it![/QUOTE

You will be informed if the claimant lifts the stay. The rest is in your hands on what application to make and how to handle it we can suggest what is the best/most logical course of action.
        We have to assume at this stage that Carboot does not have the documents to prove its claim.

nem

Comment

Figured I'd just add this to my old thread rather than start a new one as it's to do with the Cabot claim. After more than 2 years they sent out the credit agreement etc. With the letter they sent out it included a copy of the signed credit agreement, reconstituted true copy of the credit agreement, statements of account and the T&C's. They are still obviously asking for the debt to be paid along with court costs. Now I think it's still stayed as in 2 years I haven't heard anything from the county court. So should I call up the county court and find out the status of the case?

What do I do next in regards to the letter received and debt? Looking at my statements the last payment to Capital One was on 07/03/2010 which is the date it defaulted right? Any advice on where I can proceed from here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

And just to add the letter I received was from Cabot, not their solicitors Mortimer Clark.

nemesis45

charitynjw
          Last edited by KjGarly; 29th May 2018, 08:18:AM.

Comment

Or can anyone else help with advice on what I could do next?

Comment

Just phoned the County Court just to get an update on the claim and the lady I spoke to confirmed it's still stayed with no attempts to unstay it and seems to think there will be no attempts to remove the stay.

Comment

Originally posted by KjGarly View Post
                Just phoned the County Court just to get an update on the claim and the lady I spoke to confirmed it's still stayed with no attempts to unstay it and seems to think there will be no attempts to remove the stay.
                I'd disagree with her, you need to post here copies of what you have received with identifying information removed. Seems strange they have sent a reconstituted version of the CCA as well as a signed copy of one.

You really should have followed Nem's advice to apply to strike out the claim after 6-12 months.
                COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

They may well make an application to the court to lift the stay and request summary judgment, so yes you'll need to post up what they have sent. The claim won't be statute barred as it was taken to court before the 6 years was up from default/last payment.

Have they also sent default notice and notice of assignment?

Any other issues with the debt ?

Any possibility from your end of making a reduced settlement offer ( full & final ) ?
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

OK, this is all I've been sent so far and only from Cabot not Mortimer Solicitors. Paying it off would be impossible on my current income and I am paying off another credit card I currently use and 2 other "debts" I have a family to provide for so after all my bills etc get paid out each month I'm left with very very little.

Can't say I've had any other issues with the debt, as mentioned this is the first time since the County Court claim in 2016 that I've had anything from Cabot. I didn't take pics of the T&C's from Capital One.

Comment

Hmm - not sure what the recon bit is meant to be but it's not what is illegible on the signed application form if that is what it's supposed to be. Also can you see any APR on there ?
                      Capital one recon agreements ( the terms ) are far longer than that.
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

SHort version that seems to be same but a bit clearer http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...gned-agreement and this is the terms - http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...2005#post59361 - the first page is the same as what you have ( you need to remove your copy as you left details on it ) so did they send the rest of the document?
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

The credit agreement looks illegible to me, so to say the recon is of the illegible terms should be challenged as it could be anything they have just made up to suit their case.

Also, no notice of default or assignment.
                          COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                            SHort version that seems to be same but a bit clearer http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...gned-agreement and this is the terms - http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...2005#post59361 - the first page is the same as what you have ( you need to remove your copy as you left details on it ) so did they send the rest of the document?
                            Didn't even notice my details on that one doh! They sent the rest of it I just didn't think I'd need to put that on too, shall I?

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post
                              The credit agreement looks illegible to me, so to say the recon is of the illegible terms should be challenged as it could be anything they have just made up to suit their case.

Also, no notice of default or assignment.
                              There was also a copy or print out of my credit cards transactions/payments/failed payments too which is 9 months worth. If I'm to challenge anything is there any templates or anything to help with it?

Comment

I don't think you need to - is it same as the one I linked you to - with interest rates etc on second page etc?
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X