• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** DISCONTINUED ** Claim form received Mortimer Clarke/Cabot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jaguarsuk I've received 2 letters now - one from Mortimer Clarke saying they acknowlege my CPR 31.14 request and that they believe I have already 'inspected' the documents as they've been sent in the past by other parties such as the original creditor. They want me to confirm which documents I have (which I don't have any). They also then say they've requested the CCA and Assignment and they'll be forwarded in due course. It then says the client is willing to agree to extension of 28 days to file my defence and that I should notify the court of the agreement. My account it says in on hold until the docs are obtained.

Then today I receive a letter from Cabot saying they cannot get the info from the original lender. If it ever becomes available they will complete the request and pursue but until then the account is unenforceable. It goes on to say they aren't permitted to get a judgement or decree in Court but that they will still try and contact me to repay the outstanding balance which could impact credit rating etc etc. They still want to talk to me about a Payment plan..,,

My questions are - how likely is it they could get the original CCA? What happens now with the Court - do I still need to file a defence and or will the proceedings be on hold??

Thanks for reading and any comments.

Comment

Regarding the extension you need to inform the court - see http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...filing-defence

At the end of the 28 days ( date you were due to file your defence plus 28 days - or add 61 days to the date of issue of the claim ) you will still need to file your defence to ensure they can't pop in and obtain a default judgment. There's an example defence here >> Example Defence

Do you have a copy of the particulars of claim you could type out pls.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Regarding the extension you need to inform the court - see http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...filing-defence

At the end of the 28 days ( date you were due to file your defence plus 28 days - or add 61 days to the date of issue of the claim ) you will still need to file your defence to ensure they can't pop in and obtain a default judgment. There's an example defence here >> Example Defence

Do you have a copy of the particulars of claim you could type out pls.
        Hi Amethyst thanks for you reply. I did notice that the Claim is still live in the MCOL system - so I'm guessing they don't cancel it automatically then despite me having the Cabot letter telling me the debt is unenforceable?

The particulars are "By an agreement between Britannica Recoveries SARL & the Defendant on or around 2009 ('the Agreement) Britannica Recoveries SARL agreed to loan the Defendant monies. The Defendant did not pay the instalments as they fell due & the Agreement was terminated. The Agreement was assigned to the Claimant. THE CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 1 (the amount circa £2k and 2. Costs.

Comment

No, they won't cancel the claim - it's only temporarily unenforceable until they find the agreement so you do need to defend the case so it progresses on to a point that they have to either provide the agreement or discontinue.

Their particulars of claim say it's an agreement with Britannica Recoveries in 2009 .... it wasn't ... it was originally with Egg and sold ( assigned ) to Britanica in 2011 ( most likely ) so there will need to be evidence of assignment from egg to britannica as well as evidence of assignment from britannica to Cabot and your defence can say you did not enter into any agreement with Britannica ( or Cabot )

Do any of MC/Cabot's letters mention Egg at all ?

Inform the court of the extension as per previous link and then start putting your defence together.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            No, they won't cancel the claim - it's only temporarily unenforceable until they find the agreement so you do need to defend the case so it progresses on to a point that they have to either provide the agreement or discontinue.

Their particulars of claim say it's an agreement with Britannica Recoveries in 2009 .... it wasn't ... it was originally with Egg and sold ( assigned ) to Britanica in 2011 ( most likely ) so there will need to be evidence of assignment from egg to britannica as well as evidence of assignment from britannica to Cabot and your defence can say you did not enter into any agreement with Britannica ( or Cabot )

Do any of MC/Cabot's letters mention Egg at all ?

Inform the court of the extension as per previous link and then start putting your defence together.
            Thanks Amethyst - I will do that. No there is no mention of Egg on anything. Can I just ask - if I file a defence and they don't ever produce the CCA is there any way they will get a judgement? Their letter sounds like they don't think they'll find it but that could just be the way I'm reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by poodlebetty View Post
              Their letter sounds like they don't think they'll find it but that could just be the way I'm reading it.
              It's meant to in order to scare you into paying up.
              COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Amethyst and jaguarsuk - I've not had confirmation of the extension yet from the court - should I enter my defence anyway? My deadline based on the original dates would be 11th September so I'm just a little concerned that I might risk a default if they don't confirm. Thanks in advance

Comment

The court likely won't confirm it back to you, really it's an agreement by the partys, so the claimant has agreed
                  It then says the client is willing to agree to extension of 28 days to file my defence and that I should notify the court of the agreement.
                  not to ask for default judgment until after the end of the extension.

If you are concerned though I would give the court a call and check they have received your notification of the extension agreement. I don't believe they put a bar on the claim but if a default judgment was wrongly applied for it should easily be set aside.

#staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi Amethyst and jaguarsuk and MIKE770 - just a quick update - I notified the court about the extension. I then received a reply that the claim has been discontinued by the claimant. I realise this may not be over forever if the CCA is found but I am very grateful for the help you provided to get this far. Thank you!

Comment

reply letter fron the court office Notice of Discontinuance ? well done

Comment

Fandabbydosey xxxx

Yes it might not be over as they could come back as they discontinued before defence, but at least the imminent threat is dealt with - Congrats
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                          reply letter fron the court office Notice of Discontinuance ? well done
                          Yes - well an email but yes and I confirmed by logging into MCOL.

Comment

Originally posted by poodlebetty View Post
                            I realise this may not be over forever if the CCA is found
                            I think if they thought they had any sort of hope of getting the CCA they would have allowed you to file a defence and then let the claim become stayed until they could.

Never say never, but I wouldn't let this possibility play on your mind too much.

The Statute Barred clock keeps ticking now...

Congrats
                            COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X