• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter of claim from Restons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter of claim from Restons

I've recently got a ' letter of claim' letter from Restons solicitors on 5th of Jan with a financial statement form to complete. Current debt for Halifax Credit card of £5000 taken out in oct 2003 and terminated Aug 2012.

I'm in some financial difficulty at present and can just about make ends meet . I intend to fill in the form and hope they accept a reasonable affordable payment plan.

-But Ive read some worrying accounts on MSE and CAG that they really aren't interested in payment plans and push for court-CCJs and then charging orders.

- they also clearly state in their blurb that if I should request a copy of actual credit agreement it does not have to be a signed copy of original . It can be a reconstituted copy or template.

Getting a bit worried... don't know whether to try to sort out a payment plan, or let it get to court to get a reasonable repayment plan.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Billybudd View Post
    I've recently got a ' letter of claim' letter from Restons solicitors on 5th of Jan with a financial statement form to complete. Current debt for Halifax Credit card of £5000 taken out in oct 2003 and terminated Aug 2012.

I'm in some financial difficulty at present and can just about make ends meet . I intend to fill in the form and hope they accept a reasonable affordable payment plan.

. . . . they also clearly state in their blurb that if I should request a copy of actual credit agreement it does not have to be a signed copy of original . It can be a reconstituted copy or template.

Getting a bit worried... don't know whether to try to sort out a payment plan, or let it get to court to get a reasonable repayment plan.

You have 30 days to reply to that Letter Before Claim so no need to make a hasty decision yet.

The LBC can feel intimidating with a 'game over' signal being sent. Nowhere does it say you can (and should) get legal advice even though you are being threatened with court proceedings.

In contrast there's plenty of information on how to pay the debt and what could happen to you once a CCJ is obtained with no mention of your right to defend any claim.

I suggest you take them up on their indirect offer to provide you with a copy of the credit agreement for this 2003 Halifax credit card. Send them a s 77-79 CCA Request with a postal order for £1 for the statutory fee.

There's a template here which you can use > https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...etter-example/

Who currently owns this debt being chased by Restons solicitors? Is it Arrow, Cabot or another debt purchaser?

I would also send a Subject Access Request to the original creditor (assuming it's been assigned) so that you get the full history of the account in readiness for any court claim, but that shouldn't even begin until or unless they comply with your CCA Request.

Even if the current owner accepts any offer you make that won't prevent them taking you to court, so it may be wise to explore all your options first.

Di

Comment

Thanks for your help Di - I have sent them a CCA request. The Debt that is being chased is owned currently by Cabot. Is it still worth sending the income/ expenditure form and statement? Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks for your help Di - I have sent them a CCA request. The Debt that is being chased is owned currently by Cabot. Is it still worth sending the income/ expenditure form and statement? Thanks again.
        My suggestion is to send Restons the reply to their Letter Before Claim to arrive before the 30 days expire.

If you tick Box D this refers you to Section 4 where you can list the documents you want them to produce in Box I.

You’ve no need to complete and return the Income & Expenditure section unless you want to admit the debt and pay at this stage.

I would also attach a copy of your s77-79 CCA Request so the person reading your response is aware it’s been sent.

Di

Comment

OK thanks Di, I have now done this. I'll be back soon with an update, thanks again for your help.

Comment

OK thanks Di, I have now done this. I'll be back soon with an update, thanks again for your help.
            You're welcome.

Di

Comment

Hello again and HELP!
              With regard to my Restons/Cabot MCOL case... I followed the procedures set out above and sent out CCA requests etc... prepared by defence and uploaded to MCOL within time. Several months later Restons have sent some dodgy photocopies of the credit agreement, latest terms and conditions and pages of printed statements (not copies of proper statements I used to get). I am not sure what to do now? is it time to get some proper paid instructions from a solicitor? no further action so far has been noted since my defence on the MCOL site.

Comment

jaguar1954

Comment

Can anyone help? Di?

Comment

Hello again and HELP!
                    With regard to my Restons/Cabot MCOL case... I followed the procedures set out above and sent out CCA requests etc... prepared by defence and uploaded to MCOL within time. Several months later Restons have sent some dodgy photocopies of the credit agreement, latest terms and conditions and pages of printed statements (not copies of proper statements I used to get). I am not sure what to do now? is it time to get some proper paid instructions from a solicitor? no further action so far has been noted since my defence on the MCOL site.
                    Have you received an application from them to lift the stay at the court and request summary judgment ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X