• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reply from Cabot - can anyone help/advise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reply from Cabot - can anyone help/advise

Hi,

Following from an initial letter from Cabot Financial, I replied as per another thread requesting a copy of my Consumer Credit Agreement under section 77-79.

i have had a reply to advise -

they do not have this info on file but have requested it, and they acknowledge the 12 day time limit will not be met, but anticipate it will be sent within 40 days.

Please is anybody able to provide me with information of where I stand now they have not met the 12 days, and what action I am now able to take?

Any advice or templates would be greatly appreciated..
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Reply from Cabot - can anyone help/advise

Hi
    First question is - have they issued a claim?

If not just sit back and wait. I had that letter in July 2016 and am still waiting

Make sure you keep copies of the letters and proof of posting etc - just in case

As it stands and assuming they haven't issued a claim they can not enforce the debt until they do although it might not stop them trying

Personally I would stop paying unless you have done so already . I will read your other posts to see if i can get more info

Comment

Can some one please explain how this information can not be obtained within the 12 days? The very fact that they all say 40 makes me supicious that they are indeed doing a SAR (dare i say fraudulently)request in the subjects name?

Comment

Who knows why they say 40 days but remember they have to contact the original creditor who then have to go a searching.

I think you have a healthy? case of paranoia if you think they are doing SARs as it is arguable for a start that the terms and conditions are not part of a SAR as they are not 'personal'

Maybe it is a stock response, maybe it is something in the agreement when they buy the debt - I have no idea but they have been doing it for years- as I said they said 40 days to be 18 months ago and I am still waiting

Comment

Thanks for the reply warwick65.

My issue is that Cabot have filed a default on my credit file and this has now left me with really bad credit. The original debtor filed a default a few years ago which still shows but they never sent me anything or chased it. I have managed to build my credit to a decent level.

Can Cabot file a default if they have not got any proof the debt even exists? And even after the original debtor has filled one?

Ideally I am wanting them to remove the default so my file returns to as it was prior to Cabot getting involved. Is there any way of doing this?

Thanks

Comment

If teh debt has been purchased by Cabot, then I think i am right in saying that the original default should be able to be removed as the default is no longer asscoiated to the original creditor, this would then return your credit file to the position it was prior to Cabot getting involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Onestepatatime View Post
              If teh debt has been purchased by Cabot, then I think i am right in saying that the original default should be able to be removed as the default is no longer asscoiated to the original creditor, this would then return your credit file to the position it was prior to Cabot getting involved.
              Hi,

Is this correct? I was under the impression that the default always remained with the original creditor? I haven't defaulted on Cabot so not sure how they can file a default? They may have bought the debt but they cannot prove it exists, so how can they file a default on this basis?

Plus, if the new default were to supersede the original default then I would be left with bad credit and have to build it up again....for another debt company to the same again? This cannot be correct?
              Thanks.
              Last edited by LJL; 2nd January 2018, 21:46:PM. Reason: add more info

Comment

Originally posted by LJL View Post
                Hi,

Is this correct? I was under the impression that the default always remained with the original creditor? I haven't defaulted on Cabot so not sure how they can file a default? They may have bought the debt but they cannot prove it exists, so how can they file a default on this basis?

Thanks.
                Have Cabot actually posted a new default or just picked up reporting from the original creditor - ? it should show the date of default somewhere .... sometimes when a dca takes over reporting it looks like a new default with a new entry with the red default markers ( thinking noddle) but the start date and drop off date is as the original ... just worth checking that out.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi
                  It all depends on the detail. Can you remember the actual date if default recorded by the original creditor?

If it was within 6 years then cabot can just take over the recording of the default with the same default date.

If it was longer than six years ago they can not add a new default.

It is really down to the date the original default was recorded and the date cabot are recording.

For example I had a debt that was defaulted Jan 2012 and sold a year later. On my credit file it shows two accounts- one the Original creditor with a balance if 0 and closed and one the new creditor with the actual balance and they both have the same default date.

As for taking cabot to task, if they write saying they can not produce the focus at all then carefully word a letter asking them to remove the default. I can't remember at the moment the judgement to quote

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    Have Cabot actually posted a new default or just picked up reporting from the original creditor - ? it should show the date of default somewhere .... sometimes when a dca takes over reporting it looks like a new default with a new entry with the red default markers ( thinking noddle) but the start date and drop off date is as the original ... just worth checking that out.
                    Hi,

i will check the details fully in a moment but I am certain it is a new default with a recent default date which opened and closed within a couple of days.

Comment

Thinking back i had this exact scenario, i raised a dispute on noddle saying that both defaults related to one account, before i knew it the original default was removed as account was effectively closed as had a zero balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Onestepatatime View Post
                        Thinking back i had this exact scenario, i raised a dispute on noddle saying that both defaults related to one account, before i knew it the original default was removed as account was effectively closed as had a zero balance.
                        Just checked and the original has gone and cabots details are now there. I distinctly remember there being a new default in Sept from Cabot opening and closing in a few days. Now as of Sept my credit score has dropped by a third and I have not defaulted on anything, no new searches or applications for credit' nothing?

It states account last updated Sept 2017 too?

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
                          Hi
                          It all depends on the detail. Can you remember the actual date if default recorded by the original creditor?

If it was within 6 years then cabot can just take over the recording of the default with the same default date.

If it was longer than six years ago they can not add a new default.

It is really down to the date the original default was recorded and the date cabot are recording.

For example I had a debt that was defaulted Jan 2012 and sold a year later. On my credit file it shows two accounts- one the Original creditor with a balance if 0 and closed and one the new creditor with the actual balance and they both have the same default date.

As for taking cabot to task, if they write saying they can not produce the focus at all then carefully word a letter asking them to remove the default. I can't remember at the moment the judgement to quote
                          I defaulted some time in early 2015 so guess I have a few years left with it dangling over my head. Was just more shocked the effect the default swap has on my file.

The original creditor never sent me a default notice and didn't inform me they were passing the debt Ono anyone....Cabot just appeared out of the blue in around August 2017.

Does this make any difference? Can I go back to the original creditor?

Comment

Hi
                            Without a few more details it is hard to say but my general approach is- if they aren't writing and giving you grief leave it be. Generally, from your point of view , should a claim ever happen it is better if the debt is with a debt purchaser

Here is one example- I have what I am told is a deed of assignment from one creditor to a now no longer functioning debt purchaser. In this deed it says that the OC will only help recover documents within 1 year of sale

So if they sold a debt in Jan 2017 and you sent a CCA request in March 2018 - that would be over a year and they would not be able to provide the original - nor would they be able to get details of the DN etc etc . Of course you probably could by sending a SAR to the OC but they don't have to know what you have

As I say, I was told this was a Deed of assignment- no idea if it actually is

So - I would be inclined to stay quiet and stick with Cabot

Comment

I defaulted some time in early 2015 so guess I have a few years left with it dangling over my head. Was just more shocked the effect the default swap has on my file.

The original creditor never sent me a default notice and didn't inform me they were passing the debt Ono anyone....Cabot just appeared out of the blue in around August 2017.

Does this make any difference? Can I go back to the original creditor?
                              I think your best course of action at this point is send a Subject Access Request SAR)to the original creditor together with the £10.00 statutory fee, this should get all the data the creditor hold on you/the account.

nem

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked and the original has gone and cabots details are now there. I distinctly remember there being a new default in Sept from Cabot opening and closing in a few days. Now as of Sept my credit score has dropped by a third and I have not defaulted on anything, no new searches or applications for credit' nothing?

It states account last updated Sept 2017 too?
                              The default would have been registered by the original creditor this must remain the same after a debt is sold. You have defaulted the original agreement.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X