• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Portfolio & Bryan Carter county court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Portfolio & Bryan Carter county court

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me!

I just received a county court claim form from Lowell & Bryan carter:

"The claimants claim is for the sum of £3000 being monies due from the defendant to the claimant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 between the defendant and hbos plc under account reference xxxx and assigned to the claimant on 15/08/2012.
    The defendant has failed to maintain contractual repayment and a default notice has been served which has not been complied with."

I understand I have to acknowledge this fairly quickly, the thing is I don't actually know what the debt is for. How can I find this out? And further, how can I defend this. Is there anyway?

Thank you in advance!!

Re: Lowell Portfolio & Bryan Carter county court

Originally posted by Miss View Post
    Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me!

"The claimants claim is for the sum of £3000 being monies due from the defendant to the claimant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 between the defendant and hbos plc under account reference xxxx and assigned to the claimant on 15/08/2012.
    The defendant has failed to maintain contractual repayment and a default notice has been served which has not been complied with."

I understand I have to acknowledge this fairly quickly, the thing is I don't actually know what the debt is for. How can I find this out? And further, how can I defend this. Is there anyway?

Thank you in advance!!
    Hello

Have you never had any account with Halifax or Bank of Scotland?

Did you receive correspondence about this before the claim was filed?

Comment

I had a Halifax account yes, did not know they were associated with Lloyd too. It was a credit card with like a £500 limit.
      I can honestly say I'm not sure if I've received correspondence before, I'm guessing since it's reached this stage I must have?

Comment

I think HBOS was taken over by Lloyds, but the credit card firms may still be licensed separately.

What was the Halifax account?

If the card had a £500 limit them its a big hike to get a claim of £3000.

There is a requirement for anyone to send a formal Letter Before Action at least 14 days before filing a county court claim. Normally you would have received that within the last month or so.

Comment

I understand I have to acknowledge this fairly quickly,
          You have 14 days to acknowledge and you can do that online. :typing: Once you acknowledge you have a further 14 days to submit a defence, plus 5 allowed for service = a total of 33 days from date on claim. You can use this handy calculator: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html
          the thing is I don't actually know what the debt is for. How can I find this out? And further, how can I defend this. Is there anyway?
          You need to follow the steps outlined below:

1: ACKNOWLEDGE THE CLAIM - you can do this online usually at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
          You'll need your claim reference and password from the front of the claim form

2: Send A CCA REQUEST to the CLAIMANT ( see here )
          This applies to all credit cards / loans / hire purchase / store cards type debt. It doesn't apply to Mobile Phones / Utilities or Overdrafts.

3: Send a CPR request to the CLAIMANT'S SOLICITORS ( see here )

This applies to everything unless they happen to have supplied you with a bunch of paperwork to back up their claim (v. unlikely)

Comment

Originally posted by Kafka View Post
            There is a requirement for anyone to send a formal Letter Before Action at least 14 days before filing a county court claim. Normally you would have received that within the last month or so.
            Bryan Carter normally send them 2 days before the claim saying they will issue one in 48 hours or send them saying a claim has already been issued.

Comment

Thank you for all your help! So can I just clarify, by defending the claim it means I do not agree to paying it back? If I defend it, what will then be my legal defense?
              thank you again!

Comment

Thank you for all your help! So can I just clarify, by defending the claim it means I do not agree to paying it back? If I defend it, what will then be my legal defense?
                thank you again!
                You are defending the claim because you don't know what it is, in the first instance. Beyond that there is a chance that they can't supply the correct paperwork so the claim can be challenged. In addition, if its a credit card account they are likely to have added on lots of charges that can be reclaimed, so even if they can establish that you do owe them money then you can counterclaim to reduce the amount.

Did you send those letters off?

Comment

No not yet, but I will do first thing in the morning! Will that be ok do you think?

Comment

thank you again!
                    Not agreeing to pay the debt is Not a viable defence.
                    You need specific reason why you think you are not liable for the debt.
                    Does this account appear on your credit reference files? I would suggest checking if you have not done so.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                      Not agreeing to pay the debt is Not a viable defence.
                      You need specific reason why you think you are not liable for the debt.
                      Does this account appear on your credit reference files? I would suggest checking if you have not done so.

Im not sure if it does or not. Do I still defend the claim if it is?

Comment

So, I've sent off the letters. However I'm still confused as to what debt this is relating to. On my credit file with my married name there is no debt registered at all. The letter received from the courts have my maiden name on it, I got married August 2008 and changed my name right after. The letter states this debt is from 2012. Could that be when Lowell acquired the debt at all? Or does that mean a credit card would have been taken out in 2012?

Comment

Checking your credit file may give more information on the debt.
                          Default date for instance.
                          As advised by Kafka get the CCA request and CPR done asap.

Comment

At post one it states a debt arising from an HBOS account did you have such an account with them or any other banking institution that later became part of the group or its successors?
                            Lowell would have updated credit files when it purchased the account.
                            We need to know what credit cards you have held so we can tie all this together.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                              At post one it states a debt arising from an HBOS account did you have such an account with them or any other banking institution that later became part of the group or its successors?
                              Lowell would have updated credit files when it purchased the account.
                              We need to know what credit cards you have held so we can tie all this together.

I've only had the one with Halifax, but it was way before 2012. That's why this is confusing. I think it was 2007-ish.
                              I have one now, with Barclays. But only owe like £60 and am up to date with payments. Does that help at all?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X