• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sold as seen vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold as seen vehicle

Please help I sold a vehicle on eBay guy came and collected it but didn’t want to look at it , a few days later he’s demanding money for repairs , I offered him a full refund out of good will if he wasn’t happy but I wasn’t paying the transport fees he wanted on top. the mutual agreement was sold as seen, verbally , he says the mot is not ligitimate I checked online and it’s on there, it states rust on there , after he cleaned it he found a few rust holes and a few other issues, I later had a letter headed didnt match the description ,the description was in fair condition for its age , it’s 21 years old. He was asking for money or he will take it to small claims , I had a court letter yesterday for a money claim of over £4000 what do I do ?
    Tags: None

Hi Nick

First step is to acknowledge the claim online, that will give you an extra 14 days, 28 days in total to prepare and file your defence.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ledge-a-claim/

Fill in the Following:

Received a claim? Yes/No:
    Issue Date:
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:
    Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
    Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
    Any Other Information or Background Details:

Comment

Is it best to reject all of the claim or to reject and make a counterclaim against him for the stress caused and wasted time?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick headon View Post
        Is it best to reject all of the claim or to reject and make a counterclaim against him for the stress caused and wasted time?
        When you Acknowledge the Service, Reject all, that will give you more time to decide what to do. You can't Counterclaim for stress or wasted time. Read post 2.

Comment

I posted a while back about a vehicle I sold and the buyer didn’t want to check it over I described it to the best of my knowledge then a few days later they complain of a few issues and said it didn’t match the description , however as a good will I offered a full refund if they weren’t happy , but it seemed all the wanted was money back , and said that if they returned it , on top of the purchase price they wanted me to pay for their time and transport costs. He took me to a small claims court for a £4000 I have a mediation call Monday , how do the court take these matters ? I’m a private seller and he is a dealer , it seemed to me that this was his plan from day 1

Comment

So in mediation you are willing to pay nothing and he wants the full amount. You could agree with £25 for his troubles.

In court as you were a private seller then it's caveat emptor, buyer beware, unless you have misdescribed the car. As a dealer the court would assume he knew what he was doing.

Comment

So what will they ask me ? If I am willing to offer him £25 he is obviously going to reject that , so that will go to court and they will probably throw it out ,? Is that correct sorry to sound dull

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but under the Consumer rights act 2015...regardless of whether you're a private seller, you have done the right thing under the act. and as Ostell says, in your case, caveat emptor. But if you've offered the guy a full refund, I can see the judge seeing right through him.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X