• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Idem Capital Securities CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idem Capital Securities CCJ

Hi
    I wonder if anyone can help, we have an old HSBC credit card that was sold to Idem some time ago
    We were originally on a DMP but stopped making payments a year ago as OH made redundant.
    Early last year we started asking for CCA and Idem were able to supply one, we had this looked into on another forum and were advised it was unenforcable, we have left things since then.
    Idem have now issued a CCJ claim form for this debt dated 24th July.
    Not sure now what we should do, can we contest it as we believe the debt is unenforcable, however Idem must believe it is.
    Or call them to negotiate a part settlement?
    Would they then cancel the court action?
    really not sure what we do and would appreciate any advice.
    Thank you
    Tags: cca, ccj, court, hsbc, idem

Check dates

Acknowledge Claim

CCA Request

CPR 31.14 Request

Comment

Originally posted by Confused1 View Post
      Hi
      I wonder if anyone can help, we have an old HSBC credit card that was sold to Idem some time ago
      We were originally on a DMP but stopped making payments a year ago as OH made redundant.
      Early last year we started asking for CCA and Idem were able to supply one, we had this looked into on another forum and were advised it was unenforcable, we have left things since then.
      Idem have now issued a CCJ claim form for this debt dated 24th July.
      Not sure now what we should do, can we contest it as we believe the debt is unenforcable, however Idem must believe it is.
      Or call them to negotiate a part settlement?
      Would they then cancel the court action?
      really not sure what we do and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you
      Idem are a nightmare to deal with, they dont accept they are in the wrong even when its staring them in the face.

Do you have a copy of the agreement? HSBC did have some problems with some of their agreements so its worth checking, also do you have a Default notice? They must serve a default notice to be able to claim the fulll balance due under the card.
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Hi there
        Thanks for responding, are the things you mention steps we need to take?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

Idem are a nightmare to deal with, they dont accept they are in the wrong even when its staring them in the face.

Do you have a copy of the agreement? HSBC did have some problems with some of their agreements so its worth checking, also do you have a Default notice? They must serve a default notice to be able to claim the fulll balance due under the card.
          Hi
          thanks for responding, yes we do have a copy of the agreement but when someone from another forum looked at it they advised it was not enforceable, it is very basic. Im not sure whether it was ever defaulted will have to check credit record however it has now dropped off.

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Confused1 View Post

Hi
            thanks for responding, yes we do have a copy of the agreement but when someone from another forum looked at it they advised it was not enforceable, it is very basic. Im not sure whether it was ever defaulted will have to check credit record however it has now dropped off.

thank you
            Hi,

ok i dont want to sound rude, but i never rely on what someone else says, unless i see the document i dont form any views, i had a case which ended up with another forum saying the agreement was enforceable, HHJ Worster in Phoenix v Cresswell came to a different conclusion entirely.

On the Default point, forget the credit file, that is irrelevant, defaults on credit files are not s87 default notices, they are often confused but are two different things entirely.

Check your records, very important, also what have IDem said in their claim? Id like to see the pleadings as i have struck out a load of claims recently for noncompliance with Doyle v PRA Group, so its worth checking the pleadings too
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Hi,

ok i dont want to sound rude, but i never rely on what someone else says, unless i see the document i dont form any views, i had a case which ended up with another forum saying the agreement was enforceable, HHJ Worster in Phoenix v Cresswell came to a different conclusion entirely.

On the Default point, forget the credit file, that is irrelevant, defaults on credit files are not s87 default notices, they are often confused but are two different things entirely.

Check your records, very important, also what have IDem said in their claim? Id like to see the pleadings as i have struck out a load of claims recently for noncompliance with Doyle v PRA Group, so its worth checking the pleadings too
              Hi

Will go back through the paperwork see if I can find a default notice from them, will try and copy the extract from the claim where Idem put the details.

Hopefully that is ok

Last edited by Confused1; 7th August 2019, 09:57:AM. Reason: edit

Comment

"They must serve a default notice to be able to claim the full balance due under the card."

In most cases this would apply but it is a dangerous blanket statement. If the debt is fully in arrears PRA Group V Doyle has no application and you are on a hiding to nothing. If the Claimant claimed the arrears in the alternative, as there is no bar to claiming the arrears, that would also cause problems to that line of argument (insofar as the arrears).

As PT says, no views can be formed on the specifics of a case until such time as the documents relevant to that case have been considered.

I am not legally qualified and my comments and observations are not given, nor are they to be taken or relied upon as legal advice. Debt matters are often complex and public forums should not be seen as a substitute for professional legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebz View Post
                  "They must serve a default notice to be able to claim the full balance due under the card."

In most cases this would apply but it is a dangerous blanket statement. If the debt is fully in arrears PRA Group V Doyle has no application and you are on a hiding to nothing. If the Claimant claimed the arrears in the alternative, as there is no bar to claiming the arrears, that would also cause problems to that line of argument (insofar as the arrears).

With all due respect, while it is right to say that arrears are recoverable without a default notice, the Court of Appeal was very clear "there would have been both a complete defence to a claim for all outstanding sums under the Agreement " so ALL SUMS OUTSTANDING UNDER THE AGREEMENT means clearly all sums, on a credit card agreement i have seen the likes of Link try and argue that the balance is arrears but that argument is shot down quickly when you point out that a credit card agreement is an open ended agreement which revolves monthly. And thus a Default notice is needed the minute the creditor seeks the full outstanding balance or to stop the agreement rolling over.

Comment

With all due respect, while it is right to say that arrears are recoverable without a default notice, the Court of Appeal was very clear "there would have been both a complete defence to a claim for all outstanding sums under the Agreement " so ALL SUMS OUTSTANDING UNDER THE AGREEMENT means clearly all sums, on a credit card agreement i have seen the likes of Link try and argue that the balance is arrears but that argument is shot down quickly when you point out that a credit card agreement is an open ended agreement which revolves monthly. And thus a Default notice is needed the minute the creditor seeks the full outstanding balance or to stop the agreement rolling over.
                    And of course not to mention the debt purchase industry's lack of understanding of s86A-C too, that often causes them problems.

Comment

Thanks for your insight PT, I appreciate it, though I am not sure where notice of sums in arrears comes into the point I was (perhaps poorly) making.

My reading of Doyle was that, In that particular case, on its facts, the Judge held that "absent service and expiry of a default notice compliant with CCA ss.87 and 88, there would have been both a complete defence to a claim for all outstanding sums under the Agreement and an unanswerable right to strike out the claim".

I though the finding was limited to that case on its facts and its individual pleadings, not to all credit card claims generally. It will have application where the account is not fully in arrears and the pleadings are based accelerated recovery, so the bulk of matters, but would it not still turn on the facts of the case?

If, for example, a creditor who had restricted the line of credit, were to cease charging interest on x date, being a date before the next "due date" then, post that "due date" the agreement would remain fully in arrears as all sums are "past due". I cannot see in that instance that S87(1) would provide any statutory bar to the claim, as it would not be relevant to the cause of action (how would limitation apply then though, would it not apply to run from the date of each individual missed instalment, that's a complicated mess?). It is analogous then to a fixed term loan agreement that has not been paid within its term.

Likewise, if the Claimant claimed the arrears in the alternative or say all sums lawfully due and owing, as there is no bar to claiming the arrears, could that not also cause problems to the argument arising out of Doyle given Woodchester v Swayne & Co?

I think the point I was making (or trying to make) stands. It may well turn out that the point in contention is applicable and gives a valid defence, even a right to strike out as you say, but most of these points are technical and complicated. It is dangerous to blindly rely a "one size fits all" approach without a proper investigation in to both the pleadings and evidential documents relevant to the specific case.

I am not for a minute suggesting your statement is not sound in the bulk of cases, merely cautioning against persons taking a statement without proper consideration of its application to a specific case.

As an extreme example of people blindly relying on a "one size fits all" approach without a proper investigation and finding themselves in serious peril as a result … just look at the Freemen on the land blindly following a fatal argument, like lemmings on the path to financial ruin.

I am not legally qualified and my comments and observations are not given, nor are they to be taken or relied upon as legal advice. Debt matters are often complex and public forums should not be seen as a substitute for professional legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X