• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice needed - Walker Love

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed - Walker Love

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help me with some advice.

I currently reside in the USA but I am from Scotland. Have been here in the USA for 18 months.

My old home in Scotland is currently occupied by a family member, who contacted me to say a letter had arrived from Walker Love. He is posting it out to me, so I will be able to give you a better update soon on what it contains.

I think it may be for one of 2 debts, one of which was originally pursued by Lowells (I read on here somewhere that Lowells sometimes work with Walker Love?)

The first debt defaulted 04.10.2013 (£2k) and the second one defaulted 01.11.2102 (£4k). Am I correct in thinking that both of these are Statute Barred under Scots Law (which is 5 years)?

Also, how does it work with me living abroad? Can they continue to pursue it?

Once I receive the letter, shall I write to them to inform them of the 5 years? And the change of address? Or just ignore it? Would rather contact them obviously!

I checked the Walker Love website and they list international debt chasing as one of their services....is this possible?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by scotinusa; 20th August 2018, 23:38:PM.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by scotinusa View Post
    1. The first debt defaulted 04.10.2013 (£2k) and the second one defaulted 01.11.2102 (£4k). Am I correct in thinking that both of these are Statute Barred under Scots Law (which is 5 years)?

2. Also, how does it work with me living abroad? Can they continue to pursue it?

3. Once I receive the letter, shall I write to them to inform them of the 5 years? And the change of address? Or just ignore it? Would rather contact them obviously!

4. I checked the Walker Love website and they list international debt chasing as one of their services....is this possible?
    1. Yes if the debts defaulted and no payment has been made since then 5 years from the default date the debt becomes stat bared.

2. They'll try, but the would have to start a simple procedure in Scotland and then try to enforce in the US. Costly and by all means not a certainty. If they do file contest jurisdiction as you no longer reside in the UK.

3. Write back, tell them it's stat barred and that you no longer reside in the UK, therefore are not subject to UK Law and therefore it's pointless them entering into a simple procedure. (last bit is a bit of a bluff in the hope it makes them bugger off)

4. Yes it is certainly within the EU, but I wouldn't know about the US and would tend towards them having little hope of enforcing a Money Judgement obtained in Scotland there.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

In terms of the debts being statute barred, do you know when you made payments on either debt and what is the nature of the debts?

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Both debts are for credit cards and I haven’t paid anything towards either of them in over 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by scotinusa View Post
          Thanks for the replies.

Both debts are for credit cards and I haven’t paid anything towards either of them in over 5 years.
          I think the 2nd debt will be time barred then but they may argue that the 1st isn't be the date of default. I am aware that there is currently a case under appeal to determine whether the default date or payment date is when the 5 years timebar starts from.

Comment

The 1st becomes 5 years since default on 4th October this year. Given that I’m abroad and not in any rush to respond, then could I effectively wait until then before I contact them?

Comment

Should also say that these default dates are from my credit report.....I’m aware that this may not be completely accurate?

Comment

It would be interesting to see what the letter says when you get it

Comment

Got the letter...as expected they are chasing an old debt, the one i mentioned above for 4K

Comment

The one that defaulted November 2012 ? and no payments were made since default ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Yes, that’s the one. I emailed them, detailing the statute of limitations and also that I no longer live in the UK.

They’ve emailed back to claim I made a payment in 2015 (which I haven’t) so I have asked for proof of this payment.

Comment

Good - the onus of proof is on them to show it isn't out of time. WHile you wait for response it is worth just getting hold of your bank statement from the date they say the payment was made to be sure ( and evidence that it wasn't).
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I have 2 UK bank accounts, one wasn’t opened until 2016 and the payment doesn’t appear on the other accounts statement.

so, I’ll wait and see what they come back with and

Comment

It will be interesting to hear the response!

Comment

I should also say that the email totally ignored my request to update my address as I no longer live in Scotland.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X