• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Date - Lowell Witness Statement 2 days before (URGENT)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Date - Lowell Witness Statement 2 days before (URGENT)

Hi All,

Will cut a long story short. Lowell issued a CCJ against myself (April 2017) to an old address (2009 I last lived there) which obviously I never saw and was unable to defend. I found this out as I received a Warrant of Control to my current address (been on the electrol roll for 2 years) which prompted me to check my credit file.

I put in an application to set aside and received a date for hearing (27th June) 3 days time.

Yesterday, via email I received Lowell's witness statement. (2 day prior to the hearing). I noticed that in the first part of it, it states:

"The Assignor is now unable to provide the Claimant with a written copy of the Agreement" (I have attached full paragraph to this post).

On that basis, am I correct in thinking when I turn up to court on Wednesday and request to see the credit agreement and Lowell are unable to provide it, that this will get dismissed?

Many Thanks,

S

Attached Files
    Tags: None

Hi All,

The hearing was today and the judge stated he would set the judgement aside.

He mentioned something about the claimant having to file within 7 days and the defendant (me) to file a defence within 21 days (I kind of didn't hear as there was traffic outside the window). Does this mean I still need file another defence within 21 days for the judgement to be removed?

FYI - Lowell did have a representative turn up for this, and it's not a particularly big amount, he pulled me into a room prior to the hearing to attempt to settle but was poorly conducted.

Best,

S

Comment

jaguarsuk can you help.

Comment

Originally posted by sj1988 View Post
        Hi All,

The hearing was today and the judge stated he would set the judgement aside.

He mentioned something about the claimant having to file within 7 days and the defendant (me) to file a defence within 21 days (I kind of didn't hear as there was traffic outside the window). Does this mean I still need file another defence within 21 days for the judgement to be removed?

FYI - Lowell did have a representative turn up for this, and it's not a particularly big amount, he pulled me into a room prior to the hearing to attempt to settle but was poorly conducted.

Best,

S
        Hi S

Yes you will have to file a defence if they file. If they don't then the court should order the claim struck out.

The pulling you aside is pretty standard fayre, it's informally known as a "Without Prejudice Chat" and usually would be the sides outlining what their position is to try to settle before going into court.

The fact they have informed you "The Assignor is now unable to provide the Claimant with a written copy of the Agreement" means there is absolutely no way you should settle as this is unenforceable without that agreement. If they claim based on an agreement then the court has to see it or else how can they determine what terms the parties agreed to?

EE could have allowed you to leave when you felt like owing nothing within their terms, but how would they know without seeing them?

In reality they would be fools to do anything other than file a Notice of discontinuance, but they probably will file in the hope they can scare you into settling.

If they do not serve you with copies of what they file then you will file a defence based on the Example Defence, but we'll be including that little nugget of gold from their witness statement in it therefore post it here before filing to enable a read through.

In the meantime send CPR 31.14 Request to turn the screws a little. You want a copy of the “24 month fixed term agreement (“the Agreement”) entered into on 6 June 2012” relating to the assignors account number 103097829.

Deadline for filing defence is 18th July 2018 at 4pm
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Hi JaguarsUK,

Firstly, many thanks for taking the time to explain that.

I received in the post today "General Form of Judgement or Order" (Attached are the orders).

A couple of points are, if Lowell do not file by 4th July, do I still need to file a defence or does it simply get thrown out?

My original defence to defend the judgement was it being statute barred, however the judge stated I wouldn't be able to use that as a defence (as it's not over 6 years). I don't even acknowledge this debt, I can prove I've never made a payment on the account through bank statements (Lowell claim I made a payment in April 2013).

Happy to pay for a solicitor to assist, does anyone know of any Brighton/Sussex way?

Best,

S

Attached Files

Comment

Hi JaguarsUK,

My original defence to defend the judgement was it being statute barred, however the judge stated I wouldn't be able to use that as a defence (as it's not over 6 years). I don't even acknowledge this debt, I can prove I've never made a payment on the account through bank statements (Lowell claim I made a payment in April 2013).

Happy to pay for a solicitor to assist, does anyone know of any Brighton/Sussex way?

Best,

S
            You (or the judge) aren't clear why he says the Limitation Act doesn't apply. Prima facie it would appear to offer a complete defence.
            As for proving: your bank statements can't really prove that you haven't made a payment in the last six years, and even if they did it could be alleged that you acknowledged the debt in some other way. But you can certainly require the other side to disclose any evidence of the alleged 2013 payment. Such an allegation, if unsupported by documentary evidence, is unlikely to persuade a court. If that is the case you can point to the fact that s.5 Limitation Act 1980 says that an action in simple contract cannot be commenced more than six years after the cause of action arose.
            The Court's directions are not a drafting triumph. Since the Claimant only has to serve on you the documents it has failed to serve until now, the Court didn't expect that it would fail to do that. I would have asked for an 'unless' qualification ('unless the Claimant do... by 4 July the claim is struck out without further order') but clearly you can't file and serve a Defence to the claim form if it is not served on you as directed. If you don't have one by 4 July then write to the Court and ask it to strike out the claim of its own motion.

Comment

Hi JaguarsUK,

Firstly, many thanks for taking the time to explain that.

I received in the post today "General Form of Judgement or Order" (Attached are the orders).

A couple of points are, if Lowell do not file by 4th July, do I still need to file a defence or does it simply get thrown out?

Best,

S
              The order doesn't state that it will be struck out, so you would probably have to apply for it to be struck out if they don't file.

I think they will file if they sent a solicitor to the hearing, so once you have their Particulars of Claim then you'll prepare and file a defence. Also, you'll need to file dates as instructed in Para 4 of the order.

pt2537 may be able to assist if you wanted to instruct a solicitor or have a look here: https://justbeagle.com/
              COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Did you hear back from the Claimant?
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Good Morning All,

Sorry for the slow update, I have been snowed under with work.

So, Lowell failed to send the original claim form to my updated address as agreed in the first hearing. They did however, manage to send it via email?

Am I correct in saying that I can file a defence based on their failure to produce these documents as agreed by the judge?

FYI - the CCJ has been removed from my credit report.

Comment

Did you agree to service by email ? Have you been communicating with them by email up to now ?

Did they provide evidence of the agreement as ordered by the judge or just a copy of the original claim ? And what date did you get that email ? They were meant to it by the 4th july ???

You do need to put your defence in by the 25th, get your defence prepared and give court a call to say you haven't received anything from the claimant ( it might have been sent to the court )
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst,

No I did not agree to service via email and I have never communicated via email. (Lowell have sent me original witness statement via email & now this "claim form and witness statement again)

Lowell sent the original claim form witness statement and a copy of the bill (copy of bill was included in original witness statement).

The timestamp on the email is:
                      date: 5 July 2018 at 17:04
                      No evidence of agreement purely just a copy of a bill from EE (again to note this was in original witness statement)

--- A silly question here but how do I file this with the courts? Do I send to Northampton or my local court where the hearing took place? (If so can I hand deliver).

Many Thanks,

S

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X