• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

am i too late to file the defence PLEASE HELP !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am i too late to file the defence PLEASE HELP !!

I received a claim form on the 20th Feb 2023 from Cabot and made an acknowledgment of service to defend the claim in full on the 7th of March, unfortunately because of other personal circumstances and putting myself into a very "dark" place i have completely forgotten to file my defence , do i still have time to request information / report / CCA documents , counting backwards I believe that Friday 24th is my final date, PLEASE could someone advise !! THANK YOU in anticipation
    Tags: None

Hi Macka

Welcome to LB

Not too late (although acknowledged late), but you need to act very quickly.

a) Answer the following questions, copy and paste back onto thread (without personal details).

Received a claim? Yes/No:
    Issue Date:
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:
    Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
    Claimant’s Name:
    Solicitors Firm:
    Original Creditor:
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) :
    Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
    Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
    Any Other Information or Background Details:

b) Send the CCA request, make sure you get Proof of Postage -

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...etter-example/

c) Send the CPR 31.14 request, make sure you get Proof of Postage -

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-of-documents/

d) The following is an example defence, amend it with the facts that you have, then post it on this thread without the personal details, you can file your defence via MCOL and send a copy in the post, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

Comment

You have 33 days from the date on the claim form to file a defence if you have acknowledged service. as you have not told us the date on the claim form we cannot ascertain what your deadline is.

Whether you have time left or the deadline has passed check the online service, if no 'Default Judgement' has been applied for then you can still file a defence regardless of deadline, however you'd be well advised to do it as quickly as possible if your deadline has passed to ensure you beat the claimant before they do apply for judgement.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post
        You have 33 days from the date on the claim form to file a defence if you have acknowledged service. as you have not told us the date on the claim form we cannot ascertain what your deadline is.

Whether you have time left or the deadline has passed check the online service, if no 'Default Judgement' has been applied for then you can still file a defence regardless of deadline, however you'd be well advised to do it as quickly as possible if your deadline has passed to ensure you beat the claimant before they do apply for judgement.
        thank you

Comment

Received a claim? YES
          Issue Date:20th Feb
          Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: YES
          Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000) £1200
          Claimant’s Name: CABOT FINANCIAL LTD
          Solicitors Firm: MORTIMER CLARK
          Original Creditor: NEW DAY RE FLUID
          Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : CREDIT CARD
          Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):THAT THE DEFENDANT ON OR AROUND 31/07/2019 (the AGREEMENT ) AGREED TO ISSUE THE DEFENDANT WITH A CREDIT CARDTHE DEFENDANT FAILED TO MAKE THE MINIMUM PAYMENTS DUE .THE AGREEMENT WAS TERMINATED FOLLOEWING THE SERVICE OF A DEFAULT NOTICE. THE AGREEMENT WAS ASSIGNED TO THE NAMED CLAIMANT ACTING AS SERVICE AGENT FOR THE NAMED CLAIMANT THROUGH THE APPOINTED REPRESENTATIVE HAS ARRANGED FOR THESE PROCEEDINGS TO BE ISSUED IN THE NAME OF THE CLAIMANT, THEREFORE THE NAMED CLAIMANT CLAIMS 1100 2. COSTS

Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):NO
          List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):SENT CCA AND CPR TODAY

CAN I UPLOAD AND SHOULD I INCLUDE A COPY OF BOTH LETTERS ON THE MCOL CLAIM SITE

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
            hi macka

welcome to lb

not too late (although acknowledged late), but you need to act very quickly.

A) answer the following questions, copy and paste back onto thread (without personal details).

Received a claim? Yes/no:
            Issue date:
            Have you acknowledged the claim?:
            Total amount claimed : ( approximately please do not use exact figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
            claimant’s name:
            Solicitors firm:
            Original creditor:
            Original debt (eg. Credit card/loan/overdraft) :
            Particulars of claim: ( please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
            is the debt statute barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):
            List any letters you have sent (eg: Cca/ cpr ):
            Any other information or background details:

B) send the cca request, make sure you get proof of postage -

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...etter-example/

c) send the cpr 31.14 request, make sure you get proof of postage -

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-of-documents/

d) the following is an example defence, amend it with the facts that you have, then post it on this thread without the personal details, you can file your defence via mcol and send a copy in the post, make sure you get proof of postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/
            thank you !!

Comment

Originally posted by macka View Post
              Received a claim? YES
              Issue Date:20th Feb
              Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: YES
              Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000) £1200
              Claimant’s Name: CABOT FINANCIAL LTD
              Solicitors Firm: MORTIMER CLARK
              Original Creditor: NEW DAY RE FLUID
              Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : CREDIT CARD
              Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):THAT THE DEFENDANT ON OR AROUND 31/07/2019 (the AGREEMENT ) AGREED TO ISSUE THE DEFENDANT WITH A CREDIT CARDTHE DEFENDANT FAILED TO MAKE THE MINIMUM PAYMENTS DUE .THE AGREEMENT WAS TERMINATED FOLLOEWING THE SERVICE OF A DEFAULT NOTICE. THE AGREEMENT WAS ASSIGNED TO THE NAMED CLAIMANT ACTING AS SERVICE AGENT FOR THE NAMED CLAIMANT THROUGH THE APPOINTED REPRESENTATIVE HAS ARRANGED FOR THESE PROCEEDINGS TO BE ISSUED IN THE NAME OF THE CLAIMANT, THEREFORE THE NAMED CLAIMANT CLAIMS 1100 2. COSTS

Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):NO
              List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):SENT CCA AND CPR TODAY

CAN I UPLOAD AND SHOULD I INCLUDE A COPY OF BOTH LETTERS ON THE MCOL CLAIM SITE

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP
              You don't need to upload a copy of the CCA and CPR letters.

Can you copy and paste your defence on this thread, removing all personal details.

Comment

You don't need to upload a copy of the CCA and CPR letters.

Can you copy and paste your defence on this thread, removing all personal details.
                1. The defendant received the claim no +++++++ from the Northampton

County Court 20/2/23.

2. Each and every allegation in the claimants statement of case is

denied unless specifically admitted in this defence.

3. This claim appears to be for a credit card agreement regulated

under the consumer credit act 1974.

4. It is denied that the defendant has entered into an agreement

with the claimant for provision of credit.

5. The claimants statement of case fails to give adequate

information to enable me to properly assess my position with

regards the claim.

6. The claimants particulars of claim fail to state exactly when

the agreement was entered into and states the agreement was

entered into on or 'around' 31/7/2019.

7. The claimants statement of case states that the account was

assigned from New Day to Cabot Financial UK Ltd without a date.

The defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

8. It is denied that New Day served any default notice on the

defendant pursuant to s87 consumer credit act 1974. The claimant

is required to prove that a compliant default notice was served

upon the defendant. The claimant is required to prove that any

default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of

section 88 (4a) CCA 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribe

form as required by the consumer credit enforcement default and

termination default regulations 1983.

9. On the 23/3/2023 via email and recorded delivery the defendant

sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to

Cabot Financial Ltd pursuant to section 77 or 78 of the consumer

credit act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

10. Mortimer Clarke has not sent any of these documents to the

defendant.

11. The claimant has failed to comply with section 77 (1) /s78 (1)

consumer credit act 1974 and by virtue of section (section 77 (4)

s78(6)) consumer credit act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

12. On the 23/3/2023 via email and recorded delivery the defendant

sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the

claimants statement of case under civil procedure rule 31.14 to

Mortimer Clarke Solicitors. I requested the claimant provide

copies of the agreement default notice and notice of assignment.

13. Under civil procedure rule 16.5 (4) where the claim includes

money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any

allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved

unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore it is

expected that the claimant be required to prove the allegation

that the money is owed as claimed.

14. The defendant respectfully requests the Court orders the

claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for the

defendant to fully plead his case else the claim should stand

struck out.

15. In the event the relevant documents are received from the

claimant the defendant will then be in a position to amend his

defence and would ask the claimants bear the cost of the

amendment.

16. It is denied that the claimant is entitled to the relief as

claimed or at all.

Comment

You need to look at:

a) Number 4), you haven't provided 'Any other information or background details:', you seem to be saying that you know nothing about the agreement. '4. It is denied that the defendant has entered into an agreement with the claimant for provision of credit.'

b) Number 9) needs to read, section 78 not 'section 77 or 78'.

c) Number 11) should readsection s78 not '77 (1) / s78' and (section s78 (6))not (section 77 (4) s78(6)).

Can you post your Statement of Truth?

Comment

I have been away and come back to a letter from Mortimer Clarke stating that they have received my defence and request for documentation under
                    CPR 31.14
                    They have referred the contents my defence to their client for their comments and will come back to me when they have their clients instructions.

They say !!!! that this may take some time if their client needs to go back to the original creditor for ind formation and or documentation to respond to my defence,
                    Therefore< they can confirm that their client is willing too agree to the extension of 28 days for myself to file my amended defence.
                    Pursuant to CPR 15.5 (2) they say for me to notify the court in writing of this agreement ,
                    they say in the meantime the matter has been placed on hold and no futher action will be taken in the meantime .
                    their original claim was issued on the 20th feb , I made my acknowledgement on the 7th March and filked my defence in time

Do i need to write to the court and make them aware of the letter sent from Mortimer Clarke or is that their responsibility ???
                    also When would their time be up on this claim

Thank you in anticipation

Comment

Do i need to write to the court and make them aware of the letter sent from Mortimer Clarke or is that their responsibility ???

You can do, no harm in doing that (you've a letter to state that you've got an extension).

You need to see what their response is before speculating.

But if they discontinue their claim, then that's a sure sign the matter is closed.

Comment

You can do, no harm in doing that (you've a letter to state that you've got an extension).

You need to see what their response is before speculating.

But if they discontinue their claim, then that's a sure sign the matter is closed.
                        Thank you very much for all your help, It truly gives peace of mind to be able to reach out to you guys, dark places slowly get lighter !!!!!!

Comment

The latter states that there is a 28 day extension whilst they await their clients instructions but have not notified me as yet , what should I do please ????

Comment

• echat11
                            echat11 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm not sure why you've started another thread.

The letter probably amounts to 1% of relevant documents in your case.

• macka
                            macka commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sorry , I’m not brilliant with IT ie threads etc !!!!

• echat11
                            echat11 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Originally posted by macka View Post
                            Sorry , I’m not brilliant with IT ie threads etc !!!!
                            I've asked Admin to merge threads. You don't need to do anything, until you get the requested documents. And a response from them.

All merged
                          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you both !

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X