• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Counterclaim help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counterclaim help

Hi, my daughter received a claim from a builder who started work on her home and wrecked it. He left leaving the job in a mess and incomplete. He sent an invoice for the work he claimed he had done and at the same time, without giving her anytime to respond started a claim against her in the County Court two days after sending her an invoice.

After consulting a solicitor, she put in a lengthy counterclaim to put right the work ,and for the damage to her home that he caused.

I understand that he should respond to the court within 14 days of the Directions Questionnaire and send a copy of his completed form along with a copy of his response to her counterclaim to her as well- sorry if I am not explaining myself. Is this correct?

This date for filing a defence to counterclaim and Directions Questionnaire was two weeks ago. She has received nothing from him although she sent a copy of her completed Directions Questionnaire to him.

Could someone clarify the procedure and what she should do now if he has defaulted in anyway?
    Tags: None

Originally posted by cotongirl View Post

I understand that he should respond to the court within 14 days of the Directions Questionnaire and send a copy of his completed form along with a copy of his response to her counterclaim to her as well- sorry if I am not explaining myself. Is this correct?
    Yes

This date for filing a defence to counterclaim and Directions Questionnaire was two weeks ago. She has received nothing from him although she sent a copy of her completed Directions Questionnaire to him.

Could someone clarify the procedure and what she should do now if he has defaulted in anyway?
    You should complete form N255 and request summary judgement of the Counterclaim. On the form your daughter should write "Part 20" above the word Claimant in the top right hand corner and then her name in the adjacent box as the Part 20 Claimant, then "Part 20" above Defendant with his name in the corresponding box.

There's no fee, just send it to the court the claim has been transferred to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1422232
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Oh thanks for that. I am assuming that he has now defaulted?

If she rings the court and he has sent a defence to her counterclaim and not to her, does this still amount to a default?

I don't know if I made it clear in the post, that he did not follow any Pre Action Protocol at all (as new rules October 2017). No letter before action, no nothing, just an invoice followed by court claim..does this make any difference to how the judge would look at the case?

She keep writing to him to request information, but he does not respond.
      Last edited by cotongirl; 5th September 2018, 09:33:AM. Reason: extra information.

Comment

Oh thanks for that. I am assuming that he has now defaulted?

If she rings the court and he has sent a defence to her counterclaim and not to her, does this still amount to a default?

I don't know if I made it clear in the post, that he did not follow any Pre Action Protocol at all (as new rules October 2017). No letter before action, no nothing, just an invoice followed by court claim..does this make any difference to how the judge would look at the case?

She keep writing to him to request information, but he does not respond.
        Her judgement would be one in default if that's what you mean, if it is the case he has failed to file a reply in the allocated time.

If he has filed the Defence to Counterclaim with the court, but not served your daughter then this could be considered unreasonable conduct in the claim when consideration for costs is taking place pursuant to CPR 27.14 at the hearing. It would not allow your daughter to enter summary judgement on the Counterclaim as it would be defended.

Again his lack of following procedure is only relevant regarding any costs request at the hearing.

COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Did the counterclaim include a monetary alternative to the specific performance claim ?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Amethyst, yes she submitted a monetary counterclaim as he caused significant damage to the rooms he was not working in. He damaged her processions, and the materials she supplied to do the work were also damaged.

Comment

Okay so there's a monetary alternative value to "put right the work" rather than just specific performance. In that case the monetary value would be entered in the default judgment request - but yes check with court first whether a defence has been filed and not yet served.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Amethyst, yes she submitted a monetary counterclaim as he caused significant damage to the rooms he was not working in. He damaged her processions, and the materials she supplied to do the work were also damaged.
                Hi cotongirl. Your daughter sounds like she is in almost the same situation as us but further down the line. We are just formulating our counterclaim now and defence. It's proving difficult to say the least.

I'm sorry to hear it happened to you and i hope you get the default judgement that it looks like your are headed to.

Am i able to contact you with regard to any advice on formulating a counterclaim at all ? Sounds like ours will be very similar !

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X