• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

what has europe done for us debate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what has europe done for us debate

Please people, lets have an educated debate. I myself am pro-Europe, i am looking at the pros and cons of membership. If the national media will not give us an honest debate with both sides putting the argument across, then we shall do it ourselves.

WHAT HAS EUROPE DONE FOR US>>

When looking at this question, i cant help thinking of the Monty python sketch: "What did the Romans ever do for us?"

57% of or trade is done through Europe, one in ten of our jobs are linked to Europe.

We were known as the dirty man of Europe with turds floating on our beaches, outdated power stations, control on dangerous chemicals ( COSHH) working time directive, minimum wage, sex discrimination, equal pay, smoke free work place, redundancy and TUPE protection, Employment Rights Act, Environmental protection, funding for areas of industrial decline, annual holiday entitlement, consumer protection in anything we purchase in a retail outlet,single market, student exchange, protection of intellectual property, open borders,

The list goes on and on but the number one thing Europe has brought us is:

PEACE

LETS GET OUT OF THIS LITTLE ENGLANDER MENTALITY BEFORE WE GIVE IT ALL UP FOR A SHORT TERM POPULARITY STAKES
    Tags: None

Re: what has europe done for us debate

Don't want to disgaree with the sentiment that we cannot continue to act as an island with a wall around it - but I think that the women of the Ford River Plant might wish to take issue with your assertion that Europe was responsible for equal pay. The Equal Pay Act 1970 predated the UK's entry into Europe, and was the direct result of industrial action that started at the Ford River Plant and fanned out across the country. It was later incorrectly ascribed to women at Dagenham - the machinists who worked for Ford worked some miles from Dagenham at the Ford River Plant.

Comment

With any legislation, it is not the Statutory Acts that's the question

It is the Directives that have come from Europe since the inception of those Acts into existing English statutory legislation, for the benefit of its citizens against the wishes of what ever government is in power at the time

Comment

You say it has brought us peace, there does not have to be a war or any kind of conflict for people to feel totally unsettled being part of the EUC.

Comment

But the question is, how many people are unsettled, or even settled at our membership of the EU

That is being deliberately kept from us or any informed debate

The right wing media are constant in its attack, we all have brains

Let us make our own mind up

Comment

I can only speak of friends and people in my local area, but they want out. In fact speak to any one locally and no one wanted in, in the first place.

Comment

Because they have not been given the full facts of membership

Comment

I think more they have seen for themselves and experienced things themselves that have made it actually feel like them and us instead of how it was intended all of us equal.

Comment

may i ask

"what examples" have they seen themselves or experienced to have a negative view point of Europe

ENAID, you are an intelligent person, can you yourself think of any that effects your everyday life in a negative capacity

Comment

Well in fact everyday there are snippets popping up to the surface that affect us all, only today the Pension Scheme that enables spouses of British nationals abroad being able to claim a pension, I didn't know that, I knew people that went abroad could claim their rightful pensions but as it is now some are drawing a pension and have never even stepped front in this country.
                    On the other side I know of old ladies paying full and over the top insurance for holidays to Europe and carrying an E111, needing medical treatment but being pestered for their credit card before being attended to.
                    Just a little example that popped into my head about how we are treated in Europe as to how we treat the Europeans over here.

As for me personally, I think everyday life in all manner of ways is being affected and the more I hear what goes into the EU and elsewhere in the world from our little Islands the angrier I get tbh.

Comment

Can you please now give me just a small example of what Europe does to benefit us even in the smallest way, then I may just clam down a tad lol

I know and understand about the trade bit, but if we trading with skint countries where does that leave us?

Comment

Well the pension issue was not subject to European legislation, that is more our own Social Security Act and when it was introduced. To be honest i know nothing on pensions so i will sit on the side line

You can say what about people who have retired to Spain claiming the winter fuel allowance, same thing, our own legislation, not a European directive

I believe the E111 has been phased out, the EHIC replaced it in 2005. It offers free or reduced cost treatment within Europe

The EHIC is not a substitute for travel insurance any any one leaving the united kingdom is recommended to have independent insurance (common sense)

Comment

Am not talking Legislation am talking about how we treat Europeans in our country as to how they treat us over there.
                          Big difference, as we are entitled to zilch over there in any way shape or form when they come over here they can manage quite well, quite very well in fact.
                          If you had read my post properly, I stated the elderly lady in question HAD full and very expensive insurance due to her health issues, also carried the E111 that was of use supposedly then and was still pestered for her credit card before being treated.

Comment

Still need a good reason to be in Europe, just one will do lol

Comment

peace

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X