• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can the bank ‘UNCLEAR’ cleared funds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Can the bank ‘UNCLEAR’ cleared funds?

ooh, thanks for reply, lots of interesting bits here but lets break it down a bit, let's start with; why do you think the money was withdrawn on T+4? (the bank says it was T+2)

Comment

5th Dec counting it was T+4 ... actually it was T+4 plus a day that isn't a business day as you took it out on the Saturday.

btw - the banks defence is appallingly rubbish which is in your favour.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

erm, my maths isn't the best but if you agree it was paid in on the 5th, how could the 14th be T+4 (esp when the bank says it was T+2?)

- - - Updated - - -

glad you think their defence is rubbish though.

Comment

• Re: Hello Lovely People!

That's my memory on days .... here T+5 not T+4 but still before T+6 which wasn't until Monday. ( and T+4 is the relevance as thats 'available for withdrawal day )

Weds 5th - Deposit to post office
          Thurs 6th -
          Friday 7th - received at bank ( T day )
          s
          s
          Monday 10th -
          tue 11th - - T+2
          wed 12th -
          thu 13th - T+4
          fri 14th -
          s ----------------- took out money?
          s
          mon 17th - T+6
          tue 18th -

The bank saying it was T+2 in their defence is just ballhooks either way - you did the transfer on the saturday (?) so if the cheque was T on the 13th t+2 would have been on Monday 17th (which is when the transfer shows on your account) - but you are arguing against the banks defence - however I think you are arguing too far the other way in treating Weds 5th as T - as it is quite clear in the terms that cheques paid in at PO have two bus days before T.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

this doesn't really make sense to me, there's no reason to think it arrived at the bank on the 7th? off out to lunch back soon

Comment

I'm a bit lost, T is the transaction day, i.e. the day that the transaction happened, as explained in Kati's reference to Mr Cox

"(a) Depositing the cheque and branch processing: TOn, for example, the day of a transaction (T), the payee deposits the cheque at the branch ofthe collecting bank. Cheques may also be sent by post or, for a large business, be delivereddirectly to the processing centre of their bank."

In my case T must be the 5th, there is no other way to define the process that I am aware of. The bank can add an extra day/s, but either way, T=0 is the 5th, can we agree on that at least?

Comment

Nope xx
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

T is the 7th
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

hi

admittedly, i havent read all the thread, but,

I'm not sure what you mean of how it will appear to others, I can see that the bank has made a costly error, that could be a windfall for me that is all.
                    You must have known you wasent entitled to the funds, when you transferred them out, and, with these types of mistakes, it will be the cleark or admin worker that takes the consequences, if the bank did, unclear the funds after the time limit, that would probebly have been a manager, trying to correct the mistake of someone under them.

Do you think they will win because they have a case or just because they are the banks?
                    The checks was cancelled, you transfaired funds you knew did not belong to you,, teh problem your going to face is the actions you took to make it this way.

Did there actions cause you any loss ?

I think re-fairing it to a windfall is a bit of a stretch as well, banks tend to be ruthless to employees that have made mistakes that cost them. I bet that person would not call it a windfall.

Sorry to seem so blunt, but i would imagine any adjudicator is going to consider the same things.
                    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

From http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/as...ns.pdfwithdraw the money. If you pay a cheque into youraccount via a Post Office® the payment into youraccount will be delayed by up to two Business Days
                      From http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/cu...clearing-cycle
                      Cheques deposited after 4:30 or via the Post Office will be subject to one day's delay

These terms are not contradictory, on top of which the customer was assured that the funds had cleared.
                      From that viewpoint it can be argued the customer did have an entitlement to the funds

Cleared funds, past T*6, certainty of fate..... all add up to the funds are the customers

Also IMO this is not a matter of morals.
                      I understood this site prided itself on being non judgemental. It certainly isn't judgemental when it comes to supporting eg shoplifters, so why is there from some quarters a sense of disapproval here?
                      The courts may decide unjust enrichment has occurred, but that is a different matter from fraud which has not been suggested by the bank.

Comment

Alleged shoplifters they have not been convicted think this thread is going the way of to many others due to differing opinions.

Comment

OK Wales change to support others who admit wrongdoing!!

Comment

I do not condone or support wrongdoing or law breaking I DO support everyones right to a trial in a Court of law not subject to harassment and threats from the likes of RLP im sure everyone on LB agrees.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                              I understood this site prided itself on being non judgemental. It certainly isn't judgemental when it comes to supporting eg shoplifters, so why is there from some quarters a sense of disapproval here?
                              To qualify that we don't support shoplifting but we do support shoplifters (convicted or otherwise) who are the subject of civil demands which we believe are unlawful regardless.

Comment

hi

i understand your point [MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION], am not really disagreeing , the poster mentioned "am not sure how it comes across to others", i was just adding how i see this from the beginning, I understand the bank/teller may have made a mistake, i just think transfairing it out, when you know its not your funds, shows intent.

Ther T&Cs bit over when it should have gone passed the date they could automatically reclaim it, does not say, the person can keep the money, so i dont understand what the posters justification would be for not repaying it when requested. I have no opinion on what the poster should or shoulnt do, reading through othere people post on this thread, she has had some good advise.

I suppose the other consideration should be, if it goes wrong, how badly can it go wrong for the poster, being ordered to pay it back may not be the limit, In any fight, you have to properly consider the consequences of loosing
                                crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X