• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can the bank ‘UNCLEAR’ cleared funds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Can the bank ‘UNCLEAR’ cleared funds?

No sign of the reply here

Comment

oh no, I spent ages redacting that, maybe it was too big? never mind,

thanks for letting me know

NB

Comment

hi,

I've got a date for the mediation phone call, it will be on the 15th July, that was pretty quick!

NB

Comment

So two weeks in which to work out your bottom line!

Comment

Yes, you're right, the phone appointment is for one hour and I have to outline the case to the mediator, so need to get my arguments sorted but you're right also need to work out the bottom line.

The mediator has asked if there are any documents required before mediation. The bank has so far avoided providing some information, including the IBDE file information (i.e the electronic record of when the cheque actually arrived at the clearing centre. Do you think it would be possible to obtain this through the mediator? The cheque is not part of my case, but it could undermine the bank's case.

I guess there's no harm in asking......

Also, do you know what I need to do to get the notifications of a post switched back on? I seem to have lost that facility

NB

Comment

Hello Des8,

Yes, you're right, the phone appointment is for one hour and I have to outline the case to the mediator, so need to get my arguments sorted (which I will do following your very helpful suggestions), but you're right I also need to work out my bottom line.

The mediator has asked if there are any documents required before mediation. The bank has so far avoided providing some information, including the IBDE file information (i.e the electronic record of when the cheque actually arrived at the clearing centre. Do you think it would be possible to obtain this through the mediator now? The cheque is not part of my case, but I suspect it could undermine the bank's case. I guess there's no harm in asking......

best wishes,

Nicki

Comment

If the bank have mentioned the file (ie disclosed it) they must produce it.

To switch on notifications I think you go to your Profile.
                Click on Settings, then scroll down to General Settings where you tick to receive emails and then set the daily thread subscription mode to what you want from the drop down

Comment

hello,

thanks again, hopefully that will work now.

The bank has not mentioned it and if I'm right (and it was received on the 6th Dec as it should have been) it won't be in their interest to disclose it. Would that mean that I can't ask for it?

I asked the Ombudsman to obtain it as he could have done and it would have clarified the issue, he refused as he was allowed to do. He preferred to make an unevidenced guess, oops, of course I mean he preferred to rely on his own excellent judgment, to decide the issue.

NB

Comment

CPR 31 has much to say about disclosure.
                    CPR31.6 Standard disclosure – what documents are to be disclosed

31.6 Standard disclosure requires a party to disclose only–
                    (a) the documents on which he relies; and
                    (b) the documents which –
                    (i) adversely affect his own case;
                    (ii) adversely affect another party’s case; or
                    (iii) support another party’s case; and
                    (c) the documents which he is required to disclose by a relevant practice direction.

I would certainly bring this to the notice of the mediator, and even the court if necessary.
                    If they have their legal dept, or external solicitors working for them they must be aware of 31.6 (b) (i) & (iii)

You can make application through the court for disclosure of documents, but it costs and shouldn't be necessary

Comment

Great,

I will look that up and follow that through, thank you.

With regard to the missing tape recording, would that be 'discloseable' too? So far the bank has been able to convince the FoS and the ICO (but not me :tinysmile_twink_t2 that they can't access it, presumably they would be less likely to be able to convince a court that they can't find it in the circumstances?

thanks again xx

Comment

I think (!) a transcript of the tape recording should be made available, but if the Bank say they cannot find it, I doubt much can be done.
                        They haven't actually denied the call took place (have they?), so your affirmation of its existence and content should hold some force.

Comment

hello,

thanks for quick (and so early) reply. No the bank doesn't deny it, they fully accept that the call took place. In the context of the mediation it probably isn't too important, but I thought that (if, as I believe, they were playing with words and) stretching the truth with the FoS and the ICO, that that might be one thing but an outright denial to the court would be a different ball game perhaps!

I will ask for both however and see what happens.

I have changed my settings and am now getting notifications again so thanks for that too

NB

Comment

Hello,

an update, the bank has said

"1. The Bank is not easily able to access a copy of the original IBDE file. However, please find attached:

a. A copy of the credit slip used by you when paying in cheque number xxxx at the Post Office. You will see that the reverse of the credit slip shows that the document was processed at the Cheque Clearing Centre on 13 December 2012; and

b. A copy of cheque no xxxx. Again, the reverse of the cheque shows that it was processed at the Cheque Clearing Centre on 13 December 2012.

2. The Bank does not hold a copy of this call recording. This has been explained to you on a number of occasions.

3. Please find attached a statement for account number 089029 14172490 for the period 1 November 2012 to 31 December 2012"

I think I should write to the bank to say that it is would be unreasonable to withhold the IBDE file. Although the central issue isn't when the cheque was received at the clearing centre, it is about the 6-day issue and the bank taking cleared funds, the fact that the bank is not co-operating with providing the IBDE file, which should show definitively when the clearing centre received the cheque, would not be helpful to the court presumably. What do you think?

Nicki

Comment

I tend to agree.
                              The fact the Bank "is not easily able ....." is not really IMO a reason for not doing something, but it seems they really don't want to co-operate.
                              Perhaps just push gently once more but then let it lie, unless you get to court when you ensure the judge knows about the banks lack of co-operation.

Comment

hi,

yes, will do

xx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X