• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ and attachment of earnings threat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ and attachment of earnings threat

Hi all, wonder if u can help.......
    I've today received a letter from H. Cohen solucitors informing me that I have 10 days to get in touch with them (their letter is dated 7days ago!) or they will commence action to have an attachment of earnings against me as I have defaulted on a CCJ from March 2018.
    This came as news to me as I was unaware of a CCJ against me. On checking my credit file it appears I do indeed have this CCJ, but at the time it was awarded all paperwork was sent to an address that I had left 10 months previously in May 2017.
    I have had financial issues previously from an acrimonious divorce in 2012 and as far as I was aware all issues were now paid off. I never had the opportunity to pay or contest this CCJ as I did not receive any paperwork and until today was unaware of its existence.
    So tonight I will ring Robinson Way/ Howard Cohen's but what are my options?
    Is it too late to have it set aside and ask them to prove the debt? Even if it is correct I'm pretty sure that by March 2018 it was statute barred.
    Basically..............Help, please
    Tags: None

You need to apply to suspend enforcement (?if they have already applied for AoE - check when you call them if they have or not ) and set aside the judgment as you knew nothing of it until now and did not receive any documents as they were sent to an old address.

Also ask them to send you a copy of the claim form so you know what the original debt actually is. And ask who the judgment holder / claimant actually is. Robinson Way don't usually own a debt just manage admin for Hoist.? Ask them to put the enforcement process on hold while you get the info from them and the court, then you will consider your options regarding setting aside the judgment and whether, had you received it, you would have defended or made a settlement arrangement with them.

Applying promptly means from when you first knew of the default judgment - so you are fine to spend a few days getting the relevant info before applying.

If you know who the original creditor is it is worth sending a subject access request to them now as well - should help see if this was statute barred at the time the claim was issued ( if the judgment is march 2018 the claim may have been issued jan or feb 2018 so bear that in mind too )
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

You should write (email them) not phone them and tell them you did not receive the claim form, therefore have only just been made aware of the judgement. Ask them to consent to setting aside the judgement or else you intend to apply to the court to set aside the judgement pursuant to CPR 13.2 & 13.3.

Warn them that should they apply for an Attachment of Earnings Order you will apply for the application to be stayed and they be ordered by the court to pay the cost of the application to stay to you.

If they consent you will need to make an application to set the judgements aside and pay the fee (which depends on consent or not) for the application.

If successful you should ask the court to order them to pay you the costs of the fee back and then you'll have the opportunity to substantiate their claim, then decide whether you wish to defend or settle with them.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks for that both, much appreciated and a great help.
        I have emailed them requesting they postpone action due to the previous info I posted.
        I received the following immediate response.........

Thank you for contacting Robinson Way. Where possible we will reply by email but please note that if you are not opted in to receive emails, for security and data protection purposes, our reply to you may be by letter.

We are currently experiencing high volumes of emails and therefore it is likely that our response will take slightly longer than the standard 5 working days. We apologise for this delay and we will aim to respond as soon as possible.

If your query is urgent, then you may contact us on......

So, I won't get a return email as I won't be opted in. I am concerned re their letter stating in 10 days they'll commence action, if it takes them 5 days to respond that they'll just go ahead regardless.
        What is their process for obtaining an AoE? I'm 20 years+ with my company, have a decent reputation and would rather my payroll dept are not involved in this!
        Thanks again for the help so far............

Comment

So to update, they ignored everything and sent me a court application for an attachment of earnings, 14 days to reply! So they appear to just plan on steamrollering it thru, what do I do now?

Comment

Apply to set aside the judgement and send a witness statement in response to the application asking it be opposed due to your application to set aside, enclosing a copy.*

They have ignored your request, so all you can do is apply without consent.
            COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X