• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Guess who? Yep, Lowell (and friends)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guess who? Yep, Lowell (and friends)

Originally posted by thecrazyplumber View Post
    I had a text message this morning from the shysters at Hamptons. It was actually for someone else, not me. I called them and told them to remove my number from their records. This afternoon I got an automated voice message for the same person from Lowells, which we all know is the same company. I called them and gave the guy a real dressing down and told him if he didn't remove my number, NOW, I would consider legal action against them for breaching the Data Protection Act and for pestering an innocent person. He became quite stroppy and demanded to know who I was, I told him it was none of his business, so needless to say he got both barrels from me. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
    Report the matter to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) first thing tomorrow morning. What you have described is a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998. The ICO has the power to fine those who breach the DPA up to £500,000.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks for the information bluebottle. I shall do that tomorrow morning, really isn't their day is it!? lol.
      I hate these shyster, so called, legal people and parasitic debt collection agencies with a passion.
      It'll be nice to stir the hornets nest for them.
      Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks for the information bluebottle. I shall do that tomorrow morning, really isn't their day is it!? lol.
        I hate these shyster, so called, legal people and parasitic debt collection agencies with a passion.
        It'll be nice to stir the hornets nest for them.
        Thanks again.
        Ring the Helpline telephone number on their website. The ICO is likely to take such complaints seriously, especially if the Leeds Losers have disclosed any data to you about another person.

Comment

Well, that may be a down side, they haven't actually disclosed any info, other than the person's name. However, I happen to know who they are and what they are.
          What you don't know is the the person concerned is my daughter, although no way am I telling them that! They have her down under her maiden name, which is obviously the same surname as mine. She hasn't been called known by this name for 8 years now, as she got married, so it does prove that anything they think they have is from the bucket pile as it is so old and almost certainly SB anyway. Not sure if I should let on to the ICO that the person they were after is my daughter, what you think?

Comment

Well, that may be a down side, they haven't actually disclosed any info, other than the person's name. However, I happen to know who they are and what they are.
            What you don't know is the the person concerned is my daughter, although no way am I telling them that! They have her down under her maiden name, which is obviously the same surname as mine. She hasn't been called known by this name for 8 years now, as she got married, so it does prove that anything they think they have is from the bucket pile as it is so old and almost certainly SB anyway. Not sure if I should let on to the ICO that the person they were after is my daughter, what you think?
            If your daughter is of the age of majority or older, then the ICO can act. She is a person in her own right and is entitled to the same protections as you are under the DPA. In practice, this means that a data controller must not disclose data about you to your daughter and vice versa. I would let the ICO have full details and let them decide.

Comment

Thanks, your help is much appreciated and you appear to be much more knowledgeable than I with this stuff and yes, my daughter is 37 years old.
              Strange part is that during my heated conversation with this idiot, he also mentioned my name was attached to the same phone number, which happens to be my own contract phone, which I have had for 20 years of so. How did he get my number and name when, surely that in itself is private information too. I can't imagine why he would call me when it's my daughter he is seeking and how the two got associated in the first place, very bizarre. He also asked me for my name and was promptly told to go and do the impossible! Tell you what though, what a pompous bunch of little p**cks they are eh?
              Thanks again for the great advice, it'll be a pleasure making the call tomorrow. I will, of course, let you all know the outcome.

Comment

I have to say that the ICO are very helpful and, if they consider there has been a serious breach of the DPA, they will take enforcement action.

Comment

Watch this space, as they say! I'll post tomorrow when I've spoken with them.

Comment

Update on my thread for info. I have today telephoned the ICO office and spoke to a very helpful man. He has told me to write to Hamptons/Lowell group and raise a complaint under the Data Protection Act. I have now done so, sent a letter to each named company, sent recorded delivery and am now awaiting their response, which they have 28 days to do.
                    i'm also told that if I do not consider their response acceptable, I can then raise an official complaint with the ICO. I'll keep you all posted on future developments as they happen.

Comment

Hi having letters from lowell saying I owe money on an account to e on.... 215 pounds to be exact which I thought had been sorted 3 years ago after switching suppliers and being in credit on my account...... Never heard from eon for a while so I contacted them and said my account was cancelled and been passed on this was Frederick son at the time now lowell has it..... The letter is a letter of claim saying I have 30 days to take action...*
                      I belive this money is not owed and e on never tryed to settle the account with me pushed it on and my new supplier said they had now heard anything about a switch and I indeed owed them the 215 which was paid days later now I'm being chased

any help. Please

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X