• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

WON !! Richard Durkin v HFC / PC World supreme court judgment 26/03/14

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Richard Durkin v HFC / PC World supreme court hearing 28th January 2014

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    It's likely to be a reserved judgment isn't it considering the "wider implications" ?
    that does depend. The Court of Appeal for example in Kotecha gave an extempore Judgment
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
      that does depend. The Court of Appeal for example in Kotecha gave an extempore Judgment

Stop showing off msl:

Ok most (or possible none of us) on here know what an "extempore judgement" is

Then I sourced this thread where Eloise01 explained eep:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...502#post320502

Comment

Stop showing off msl:

Ok most (or possible none of us) on here know what an "extempore judgement" is

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...502#post320502
        :eek2::eek2::eek2::fear::fear::fear::scared::scare d::scared:

Comment

It's likely to be a reserved judgment isn't it considering the "wider implications" ?
          I don't think SC do take aways full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
            I don't think SC do take aways full stop.
            Do you mean the Supreme Court don't factor the "wider implications" thing into their judgements?

I do hope that's true but I'm full of cynicism on this one.

Comment

Do you mean the Supreme Court don't factor the "wider implications" thing into their judgements?

I do hope that's true but I'm full of cynicism on this one.
              Perhaps I should add. If the Supreme Court rule in favour of this case then there will be hundreds or thousands of follow up claims in the pipeline .

Comment

No I just meant as they don't issue judgments on the day, they'll necessarily be reserved in any event.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                  :eek2::eek2::eek2::fear::fear::fear::scared::scare d::scared:

I share your pain Miss FM

At least this was the sensible outcome

Comment

Will the supreme court be considering the amount of damages awarded for the "injury to credit" (that is, the general damages as opposed to the quantified losses)?

I admit that this question comes from a selfish interest as i have SEVERAL companies that are likely to take a beating from me if this is given clarity in a positive way by the SC

(and I'm sure that many here are in the same position and waiting with baited breath)

To me, it only seems logical that a creditor placing a wrongful default should have to make payment to the injured party merely for the act of placing it there, otherwise they could use the "quantified losses only" argument forever and just carry on damaging a persons credit file without fear of consequence.

After all, in my case I have no existing credit, so if I am turned down for a credit card/loan etc how can that be quantified? it's purely about denying me the access to the credit that is available to most people.

I have been told by a very well respected forum member that Khoporaror would not be a sufficiently persuasive argument due to K being based around a contract to honour a cheque, and as I have had King v British Linen also denied to me by a DJ due to it being Scottish, this case really does seem like our only hope to get this issue sorted once and for all.

Or am I overplaying the likely benefits?

Comment

Scottish Law ....You can't get away with damaging someones credit status and get away with it....but
                      English Law you can..........is that Equal Rights to UK citizens........
                      Moaning old Sparkie

Comment

Sounds pretty damn right to me

Last judge I had was an absolute joke, and if anything that particular one irked me more than any of the others I'm considering taking on

A certain payday lender had marked a default on my file (it had been there approx 3 months before I noticed it) - this despite the fact I had never had a loan with ANY payday lender EVER

I took them to court and it came out that during the application process one of the CRA's flagged that the address was one I hadn't lived at for over 6 years, but because another CRA didn't flag this they felt it appropriate to allow the loan!

Despite this, the DJ said they had shown reasonable care and told me I was lucky they weren't applying for costs (despite it being squarely inside small claims)

As I said, this needs sorting if only so the various judges currently allowing banks to ride roughshod over peoples credit files (and lives!) get it set square in their heads it isn't acceptable!
                        Last edited by ncf355; 26th January 2014, 17:22:PM. Reason: spolling mishtak

Comment

A bit of a coincidence.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...merrights.html

Comment

Originally posted by Rico View Post
                            Section 9 is worth a read Rico. I know its not in existence yet ...but could give some more ideas.

Sparkie

Comment

Just a reminder that the Durkin case should be live streamed on the Sky Supreme Court site from 10.30 (tomorrow) http://news.sky.com/info/supreme-court

I say 'should' because there's a Privy Council hearing at the same time and Sky policy is that ''on days where more than one Supreme Court case is being heard, we select the case likely to be of greater public interest to be streamed on this service.''

But given that the other case is a judicial review from the jurisdiction of Antigua and Barbuda I can't see it being of greater public interest.

Comment

Seriously temmpted to take the day off so I can watch the progress of this

Hmm........

Is anyone else (as in other than the "main man") from LB attending?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X