• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

WON !! Richard Durkin v HFC / PC World supreme court judgment 26/03/14

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Richard Durkin v HFC / PC World supreme court hearing 28th January 2014

Halliday I couldnt' find it on here
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
      I think the court decided that there was no answerable breach of either the DPA or a duty of care, also that there were other issues which would have effected the plaintiffs ability to gain credit so no provable loss.
      In addition the court decided that the previsions of the act were sufficient to deal with cases like this and the application of common law tort was not necessary.

Wasn't the more damning issue with Smeatons case that Equifax had not been shown evidence of why they should out it right?

He was making an assumption that they should have made enquiries without him (Smeaton) first contacting them and raising an issue and the judges sided with Equifax saying that was unreasonable, that they could only be expected to rely on what the was passing to them as being an honest appraisal? (and they also showed they had reasonable checks in place )

I think however a lot of creditors have read to far into this and now seem to have tried to apply it as a broad brush in that even when a debtor is showing them reasonable proof to question the existence of damaging data, they seek to rely on this - I believe if put before a judge (as I say, with reasonable proof that the creditor has not shown the required due care) this alleged support would be easily defeated

Comment

Yes there were a number of issues and also the fact that the bankruptcy itself may not have caused the problem with his credit, which refers to consequential loss again, not just the fact that the incorrect data was placed.

There is a lot more on this aspect in Halliday.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          I hope common sense shines through, it usually does in the SCJ,
          It didn't in the bank charges case.

Comment

dont suppose we are likely to have a clue when judgment will be handed?

Comment

Judgment expected in about 6 weeks :beagle2222:
              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Baited breath, or what!

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                  Judgment expected in about 6 weeks :beagle2222:
                  If it is in Richards favour it could also have impact on our data protect act claim in our appeal.........hopefully!!
                  Sparkie

Comment

4 weeks to go ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I spoke with Andrew Smith QC on Monday and yes, looks like 4 weeks to wait still.
                      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...544#post410544
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

IMO There is one thing certain if the Supreme Court find in Richards favour ........creditors will be VERY carefull in registering a default on anyones credit file in the future...........instead of it being partly automated......they will have to have someone thinking about it and getting it 1000% correct.

Sparkie

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie1723 View Post
                            IMO There is one thing certain if the Supreme Court find in Richards favour ........creditors will be VERY carefull in registering a default on anyones credit file in the future...........instead of it being partly automated......they will have to have someone thinking about it and getting it 1000% correct.

Sparkie
                            You'd think that would be happening already with earlier Durkin judgments and Khoprahor (can never spell that)
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

An artist's account of the SC hearing

http://ukscblog.com/supreme-court-art-risky-credit/

http://isobelwilliams.blogspot.co.uk...upreme%20Court

I can make out Andrew Smith QC but is that our Kate sitting next to who looks like Richard?
                              Last edited by EXC; 17th February 2014, 08:01:AM.

Comment

That's such a lovely article.
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X