• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

On benefits and owe council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: On benefits and owe council tax

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
    What's done is done and imagine she feels awful about it but time to move one. Just so you are aware that if he comes back again - which he will do - you do not have to let him back in regardless of anything he says.
    Not even to remove goods?

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
      Yes they have only visited today, he told my partner that somebody came a few weeks ago but nobody was in ( didn't post anything through the door)
      There are a number of answers that could be used to counter any claim that visits have been made by bailiffs -

1. "Where is your evidence? No paperwork has been left. No paperwork, no visit, no fee."; or
      2. "Someone was in all day and no-one called/I've checked with my neighbours and they saw no-one call at this property."; or
      3. "Oh so you know how to use Google Street View?"
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

When asked he said he was certified and said as he was acting on behalf of the council they only send out certified, he has only put his name as Steve and put his contact number on the notice of seizure of goods for us to call him up and make payment
        You are entitled to his surname and would suggest you do contact him, ask him for his surname & Court he was Certificated at. Do not get into discussion or argument and if he refuses tell him you are considering filing a Form 4 Complaint as his fees are more than irregular in that they may be unlawful. If you can record the call.

Not even to remove goods?
        Yes, he will tell you he will attend with police & locksmiths to force entry but to do so he needs the permission of the Creditor. He then needs to go back to Court for an Order allowing him to do this - very rarely given. If it is granted he must then write to you giving a date & time when he will attend & only then if refused entry again may he force his way in.

Comment

Have you obtained the information given in Post 6?

Comment

When asked he said he was certified and said as he was acting on behalf of the council they only send out certified, he has only put his name as Steve and put his contact number on the notice of seizure of goods for us to call him up and make payment
            Call me a cynical ex-copper, but from what you have said it sounds very much to me that this bailiff may not be certificated, in which case his actions would be totally ultra vires. I would not pay any money to this bailiff until such time as it is confirmed that he is currently certificated in accordance with the Distress for Rent Rules 1988.

Comment

He has breached the rules in enough places for you to challenge, especial;ly as you are a family of six, he couldn't take the seating ans as PT says, the goods are insufficient so you can contend tye levy is merely to garner fees for "Steve2 who has to provide his surname and other details.
              Last edited by bizzybob; 26th March 2013, 22:54:PM.

Comment

Not sure from what you say if they levied on your car or not. The rest of the goods are of insufficient value.
                And the jalopy is on a loan from Lloyds-TSB.

Does that mean they are the owner of the alleged motor car?

Comment

When asked he said he was certified and said as he was acting on behalf of the council they only send out certified,
                  Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                  Call me a cynical ex-copper, but from what you have said it sounds very much to me that this bailiff may not be certificated,
                  It is possible that he accidentally told the truth and that he had indeed been certified - as a lunatic. msl:

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                    And the jalopy is on a loan from Lloyds-TSB.

Does that mean they are the owner of the alleged motor car?
                    No, with a personal Bank Loan you purchase the car and it it is yours.

Comment

Hopefully there are at least 4 of you in the household, they have to leave you enough seating for everyone and if there are 4 then both sofas are exempt. Looking at the rest above then including the car I cannot see anything above £1k being raised, I would therefore contend the Bailiff has only made a levy in order to gain a financial advantage for himself and his company. You are going to have to do some letter writing to the Council
                      This would seem to be confirmed by the imaginative or creative fees added by the bailiff.

Comment

No, with a personal Bank Loan you purchase the car and it it is yours.
                        A pity.

Might a log book loan be used to stop the bailiff grabbing it for his fees?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                          It is possible that he accidentally told the truth and that he had indeed been certified - as a lunatic. msl:
                          That wouldn't surprise me, CC.

Comment

Thanks for all your advice, been busy trying to raise funds begging family.

what would you advise as my next steps? Can't think straight with worry

the eldest who is 18 has even said she would go to her bank and get a loan to just pay the sum off.

Comment

Send in that Formal Complaint, indicating where the levy is basicvally worthless, so is seen as merely to garner fees.

Comment

As they haven't clamped my car should I hide it?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X