• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Name Change Deed Poll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name Change Deed Poll

Hi
    I wish to change my name but not sure if i need to do this by deed poll or not.

Example:
    On birth certificate named: Tony John Smith Jones
    changing to: Tony John Smith

Simply not using the original last name anymore, since it is still legally still your name do you have to go through deed poll to legalise it?

Thanks for any help!

Tazjm
    Tags: None

Originally posted by tazjm View Post
    Hi
    I wish to change my name but not sure if i need to do this by deed poll or not.

Example:
    On birth certificate named: Tony John Smith Jones
    changing to: Tony John Smith

Simply not using the original last name anymore, since it is still legally still your name do you have to go through deed poll to legalise it?

Thanks for any help!

Tazjm
    Yes, often people use a different alias to be known by, but when it comes down to anything official their legal name has to be used.

If you want to be known by a name, have it on your bank card and identity documents it has to be legally changed.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

You don’t have to follow a legal process to start using a new name. But you might need a ‘deed poll’ to apply for or to change official documents like your passport or driving licence.

You can make your own Deed Poll https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-...dult-deed-poll

Comment

Will need "deed poll" for official documents.

I have done it.
        Last edited by paulajayne; 6th April 2018, 22:46:PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

Yes, often people use a different alias to be known by, but when it comes down to anything official their legal name has to be used.

If you want to be known by a name, have it on your bank card and identity documents it has to be legally changed.
          Hi, i have changed my name, about 2 years ago, but never used it, i changed it in memory of my father, and mother, i now want to use this name, will there be a problem, after leaving it so long?. thanks

Comment

When you say you changed it, you mean legally by deed poll?
            COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post
              When you say you changed it, you mean legally by deed poll?
              Hi yes, by Deed Poll, all legit, thanks

Comment

When you say you never used it ? Did you tell passport/insurance/HMRC/bank etc of the new name, was it enrolled at court ( https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-...ith-the-courts)? or did you just buy a deed poll 'service' from a company - and haven't got around to changing it anywhere and now want to?
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  When you say you never used it ? Did you tell passport/insurance/HMRC/bank etc of the new name, was it enrolled at court ( https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-...ith-the-courts)? or did you just buy a deed poll 'service' from a company - and haven't got around to changing it anywhere and now want to?
                  Yes, i used Deed Poll service, and have only just gotten around to doing it, thing is, if i offer this document to Banks, HMRC, Passport, etc, they wonder why i haven't did it a lot sooner, my Daughter became very i'll, she had a blood clot on her brain, caused through the birth pill, luckily, she's still here, many young girls don't get that chance, and to be honest, it broke me, and could focus, or face anything for a long time, and this was the last thing on my mind, so now i am feeling better about life, i want to change it. thanks

Comment

I think it would be an idea to make a new one - just type out the one you got the company to do and get it rewitnessed. You don't need to get a company to do it again. It is literally a form fill that you sign and date and get a witness to sign and date, doing it yourself you can just print a few copies out and sign all of them, and get your witness to sign all of them so they are all originals. I'd start with council tax, utilities then your bank before doing your driving licence and passport.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      I think it would be an idea to make a new one - just type out the one you got the company to do and get it rewitnessed. You don't need to get a company to do it again. It is literally a form fill that you sign and date and get a witness to sign and date, doing it yourself you can just print a few copies out and sign all of them, and get your witness to sign all of them so they are all originals. I'd start with council tax, utilities then your bank before doing your driving licence and passport.
                      Hi, thanks a lot, i was thinking the same thing, re doing it, as that would change the date, really appreciate your time, and advice, thank you best regards

Comment

I'm currently doing the same - although I've only just completed a deed poll form - just figuring out where to start with letting people know - the bank want you to have changed it on council tax first etc - so I'll likely do a proper thread to help others through the process as practical information is a bit limited.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X