• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Should Ched Evans be allowed to play football after sentence for rape?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should Ched Evans be allowed to play football after sentence for rape?

Rape is a violent crime –absolutely true. But what if he did not do it. None of us know for sure what happened at that hotel. If he did not do it then why would he have to apologise?
    The fact that such a crime is heinous does not determine whether he is innocent or guilty. Is he the only innocent person to have been sent to prison? I don’t think so. Ok, I know you might be thinking ‘trust ‘paddy’ to bring up miscarriages of justice but remember how the public were baying for blood after the Birmingham 6 and Guildford 4 were convicted. The Judge actually told the Guildford 4 that if the death penalty was still an option he would have no hesitation in using it. They were innocent, found guilty and the media and general public despised them. The public focused on the crime and not on the guilt or innocence of the convicted.
    BTW –I know that hotel and would be extremely Peed off if someone earning his sort of salary brought me there!!!!!

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
    ~ Anonymous

Comment

I do agree Paws - and I also think that there is "rape" and RAPE. I know that's an unpopular viewpoint but it is completely different to force yourself upon someone - in an act of violation - or to misjudge someone's intentions who appears compliant but is actually off her head - or, as has been implied in some cases, hoped for some sort of commitment and when it wasn't forthcoming felt humiliated and so forth :behindsofa:

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
        I do think it's odd that the mate who "procured" the victim and had it off with her first was found not guilty in view of the court's decision that she had no capacity to consent therefore CE is a rapist. Not defending him, btw.
        I think the jury decided that as she knowingly came to the hotel with the first defendent(who was found not guilty) that she did consent. However, CE was then called after that consent and he came to the hotel room. The woman later on had no knowledge of who she had been with so I think that the issue was whether you can give consent when you are totally plastered or not. The jury appeared to decide that MacDonald was not guilty as she had knowingly consented to going with him to his room. The issue is whether she was consenting to sleep with another team mate and this is where the jury decided that the consent was not given and therefore is classed as rape. The woman did not allege rape in the conventional sense, ie that she was compus mentes and that she was taken without her consent, but that she was not compus mentes and was effectively taken advantage of.
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Earlier in this thread I stated that I was wrong on a link to do with the criminal cases review commission. I am afraid I was actually correct.

Another thing I would add to this is whether you have seen ched evans own personal website: http://www.chedevans.com/

Not seeing much remorse there

Comment

It's a very tricky area, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
              Earlier in this thread I stated that I was wrong on a link to do with the criminal cases review commission. I am afraid I was actually correct.

Another thing I would add to this is whether you have seen ched evans own personal website: http://www.chedevans.com/

Not seeing much remorse there
              Well.

My personal opinion (not that it matters) is that the man's a complete plonker.

However - Paws is right that if he didn't rape her why should he express false remorse just to appease the powers that be? How cynical would that be?

We just don't know, do we?

Comment

The point I am trying to make is people are saying rape is a dreadful crime, so he should say sorry. If I was wrongly convicted of a violent murder I would feel fairly angry if everyone said ‘she stabbed that old woman 40 times and beat her head in so she should show remorse and apologise to the victim’s family’. (Actually that is a bad example as my MIL is coming to stay for Christmas!). :mmph:
                There are people on TV and in the papers talking about how rape and all violent crime against women can actually ruin the rest of the victim’s life. That is a fact but it is being delivered as an argument to convince people he is guilty and should show remorse! I do not know if he is innocent, I have heard he is a complete AH but what if he is not guilty of anything more than being a two timing, cheating git?

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
                ~ Anonymous

Comment

I do get it Paws - it's a dreadful crime but if you didn't commit it why should you be convicted for not showing remorse for a dreadful crime you didn't commit? (and so on).

It's a real problem with our adversarial legal system that (as you say) the awfulness of the crime is what sways the jury (or the judge) rather than whether or not the accused is actually the perpetrator

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                    I do get it Paws - it's a dreadful crime but if you didn't commit it why should you be convicted for not showing remorse for a dreadful crime you didn't commit? (and so on).

It's a real problem with our adversarial legal system that (as you say) the awfulness of the crime is what sways the jury (or the judge) rather than whether or not the accused is actually the perpetrator
                    I waffled but you hit the nail right on the head!!!!:okay:

~ Anonymous

Comment

OH, I had better retract that bit about my MIL. That post could prove it was pre meditated and anyway, she just might eat the mushrooms this time

~ Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by PAWS View Post
                        OH, I had better retract that bit about my MIL. That post could prove it was pre meditated and anyway, she just might eat the mushrooms this time
                        Mine's already dead...

Comment

Ched Evans: Sheffield United withdraw offer of training

Football club reverses decision to allow convicted rapist to use facilities following public pressure over former player’s future

Sheffield United has performed a U-turn and withdrawn an offer to allow convicted rapist Ched Evans to train with the club, citing the unexpected intensity of the reaction to their decision.

The club initially agreed to allow Evans to train with them following a request from the Professional Footballers’ Association, which has argued that the striker should be free to resume his career after being released from prison last month.

But it has been under increasing pressure not to offer Evans a new contract and has now reversed its decision to allow the player to train at the club.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...effield-united
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Okay, I know I am like a dog with a rat on this one and I will let it go I promise….but……
                            Let us for argument sake say he is guilty. All parties agree this was not a violent rape. He has been convicted and the fact that he is an AH is common knowledge. The victim, to my knowledge, has not sought any fame or publicity. In fact she has been abused and threatened.
                            So just how bad should the fallout be?
                            What worries me is that in light of the recent revelations regarding sexual abuse the media have played on the emotive issues that rape evokes. I believe many people are reacting to the banner line ‘flash footballer rapes young girl’. The word Rape screams out from the page and immediately a very violent and destructive crime is brought to mind. For many that is enough information to make a judgment on.
                            When the following two cases were news there was a certain amount of rumbling but not the furore that the Evens’ case has caused.
                            Luke McCormick. Released from prison in 2012 having served half of a 7 year prison sentence for causing the death of two boys aged 8 and 10. McCormick was more than two times over the drunk driving limit and driving at more than 100 mph.
                            On release from prison he restarted his career in with Truro City and then Oxford United. He then went on to re-join his old club Plymouth Argyle and was made captain this summer.
                            Lee Hughes. Released from prison in 2007 after serving half of a six year sentence for causing the death of one man and disabling another. He had been drinking whiskey all evening and driving recklessly. He left the scene and went on the run but eventually handed himself in. He already had a previous DUI conviction.
                            On release from prison he immediately restarted his career with Oldham Athletic.
                            Both the above culprits showed remorse for what they did. Are we simply angry that Evens has made no tearful admission or plea for forgiveness or is it because he has been convicted of rape?

~ Anonymous

Comment

And did both the above example set up a website claiming innocence or attack the victim after having been found guilty?

I think the issue is not necessarily the fact that he was found guilty but that he continues to look to attack the victim post conviction and he continues to have no remorse whatsoever for a sex crime.

The issue is not that he should have a career or even in a football club, the issue is that he does not do that as a player that are sometimes held up in high esteem. If you can get me a statement by Ched Evans that states that he regrets the actions of that night that he did then fine.

Lee Hughes faced the press and continued to push attention away from himself and towards the victims of his crime. http://www.theguardian.com/football/...wsstory.oldham

Luke McCormick pleaded GUILTY to the offence that he was charged with.

Ched Evans pleaded NOT GUILTY and has not shown remorse. There is a difference.

Comment

Public opinion with a little help from the media won this one.
                                Right or wrong??????????

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X