• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gardening Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gardening Thread

Any bright ideas for modern looking plant pots on a budget?

I am thinking galvanised steel or something similar - or something that could be sprayed?

I am searching ebay for something I could buy in bulk as planters are so expensive.

would those coloured trug feeders you use for horses be any good?
    "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Truggs are not suitable as they are flexible, any amount of water would mean they would move and so would the plants, moving them around the garden would put the plants at risk of root disturbance, I would use Zinc pots, approach your local nursery, as Zinc pots rust pretty quickly (and they do not have time to respray them at this time of year), and you could negotiate a good price.
      You could always approach your local DIY centre B&Q etc, and speak to the manager about purchasing damaged fence panels, the wood bends so you could make shaped pots and troughs, wheel barrow planters etc from them (soak them in water to make them more pliable) then paint them.
      also purchase the dying pot plants, nurse them back to health and take cuttings from them to sell at the local boot fares.
      Also if you have a local Smiths news delivery firm, approach them and ask about purchasing the free seeds from the magazine returns.
      Lastly, see if local firms will let you have old/damaged pallets to make planters from.
      P.s whilst at the nursery, ask if they have any unwanted/old plants they wish to sell on the cheap, you may be suprised.
      Best of luck
      Nat West 1 £9k settled AQ stage.
      Nat West 2 £126 settled LBA
      HSBC practice run £1330.00 settled on the Court doorstep....almost.

Comment

Spring maybe here but i dont think i have ever had a window box or anything else with daffs, tulips and winter pansies all in full bloom together, but it is lovely.

Comment

I've got tulips and daffs flowering in the front garden, and a mad riot of self seeded pansies in the back garden, as well as a lovely pink heather. No doubt the lovely yellow Welsh poppies will be going on the rampage soon too.
          Is no longer here

Comment

I've got a a lot to do this spring/summer, when i moved in my lil house, had a small brown patch of soil so when it came to summer I dug up and mixed with manure as it was rubbish soil borderd off a little side for plants, veg, - Veg didnt quite manage it in the soil must be really bad but plants took off and so did the small rockery. However snow has killed all my seed sowing of grass and now im not sure to top up on seeds or dig over again - looking rather lithergic.
            ~Never has PPI refunds been owed to so many...by so few~

Comment

Hi everyone & Happy in particular

Just thought I'd share this tip from my son who's a head gardener: (I was bloody head gardener till he left school)

He says plant COSMOS beween the shrubs and plants

I grew these in a £18 mini greenhouse-transplanted into 20mm x 20mmsqares in a tray then planted in ground---he just sows them anywhere cos of the size of the estate he looks after

What a revalation---no more stupid little bedding plants for me

Photo tomorrow---lol---can't find it on camera.

Turbo

Comment

This is early season Happy--I'll post upa photo as now tomoorow---very tall plants now!

Comment

So, when can you sow the seeds?
                  Now or, do you have to wait until spring?

Comment

Hi Angry Cat

We were a bit late--didn't sow them in the plastic greenhouse till May/June

Several varieties sown

Wish I'd known about these before

Here's same photo position as earlier one - taken today

Last edited by Turboman; 14th October 2010, 10:06:AM. Reason: same photo twice

Comment

AC

just been down to Garden Centre - says on packet sow indoors Feb to April--but we sowed May/June

Turbo

Comment

Hey, I got some of this growing in my garden. What is it?

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
                          Hey, I got some of this growing in my garden. What is it?

Chickweed or Ground Elder--lol

Comment

hey thanks Turbo. Does she need to wear those gloves for chickweed?

Comment

Very topical DS---our local paper tonight on the subject

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...l/article.html

Turbo

Comment

no ****? I'm gonna report Wyevale soonest.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X