• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

OFT v Banks Judgment 25th November 2009 - 9.45am- Supreme Court - Test case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFT v Banks Judgment 25th November 2009 - 9.45am- Supreme Court - Test case

Bank charges:

The following judgment will be given on Wednesday 25 November 2009 at 9.45 am:

Office of Fair Trading (Respondents) v Abbey National plc and others (Appellants)

http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/

Re: OFT v Banks Judgment 25th November 2009 - 9.45am

New thread started for the Supreme Court Judgment build up.......

1st Question - how do i get a train from here to central london before 9.30am AND get the kids to school ? hmmmmm (why can't they do these things at midday)
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

This decision is the half way point in the OFT test case.
      Expect as well advice from the Master of the Rolls to the County Courts.

I fully expect the STAYS to remain in place.

Comment

And everyone can rest assured that this website will be the very first to announce the result of the judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
          And everyone can rest assured that this website will be the very first to announce the result of the judgment.
          Will there be text alerts for those not able to get to the web for sometime after the judgement?

......like me for one

Comment

Also, The Supreme Court are charging £350 for transcripts. In other courts you only pay for the photocopying. :beagle:

Comment

I doubt if the judgment hearing will consist of anything more than Lord Phillips reading the final page of the judgment which will be published anyway.

Although there's been some controversy regarding the cost of Supreme Court documents the transcripts for the first instance test case hearing cost £650.

Comment

ROCK & ROLL LBs

FIRST WITH THE NEWS AGAIN!
                The charges coming in to the banking industry every day will more than pay the banks total legal bill for the whole test case so why wouldn’t the Banks want to "ensure Justice at the highest level"

Comment

Well I will be there.

Dad

Comment

Re: OFT Test Case on Bank Charges update - Supreme Court Judgment coming soon !

Originally posted by stewie082 View Post
                    Bank charges:

The following judgment will be given on Wednesday 25 November 2009 at 9.45 am:

Office of Fair Trading (Respondents) v Abbey National plc and others (Appellants)

http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/
                    Is this the final one?Or Have we still we still got long way to go?

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
                      This decision is the half way point in the OFT test case.
                      Expect as well advice from the Master of the Rolls to the County Courts.

I fully expect the STAYS to remain in place.
                      There you go Maggie
                      The charges coming in to the banking industry every day will more than pay the banks total legal bill for the whole test case so why wouldn’t the Banks want to "ensure Justice at the highest level"

Comment

Re: OFT Test Case on Bank Charges update - Supreme Court Judgment coming soon !

Originally posted by maggiemay48 View Post
                        Is this the final one?Or Have we still we still got long way to go?

thank you
                        If there is no referral to the ECJ(only the court can do that), the banks' fail in their appeal, then we move onto secondary issues or what is called the Substantive issues.

Comment

There i am spending my money.Before i have even got it! Oh!Well not to worry.theres no harm in dreaming.I wonder will i still be alive when the case is settled?

Comment

Have added to the story up on the homepage now - if anyone thinks I need change anything just yell at me, please!, my brains gone swashy today

The long awaited judgment in the battle between the seven largest banks and the Office of Fair Trading will be handed down on Wednesday 25th November in the new Supreme Courts of Justice. The Judgment will not mean the end of the wait for consumers hoping for refunds of unfair bank charges taken from them by the banks, but if the judgment is in the OFT's favour it will be a massive step forwards.

In August 2008 the OFT informed the banks that in its initial findings the terms providing for the charges being applied were unfair. The Supreme Court Judgment will tell the banks if the terms are capable of being assessed under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations. If the Judgment confirms the OFT's view then the OFT will ask banks for voluntary compliance in refunding historical charges and amending future charging structures and levels of fees to a fair level. If the Banks refuse, then the OFT have the option of taking their findings back to court to be ruled upon.

This is an extemely important judgment with far reaching implications, whichever way it goes, however it is not the end of the road by any means.

Legal Beagles will be attending the handing down of the Judgment and keeping our members up to date via the forum and through Twitter.
                            Robster I don't think we were first to post it up, Marc on CAG mentioned middle of next week at about half twelve today, I havent read the MSE story as yet, but we wanted to wait for the supreme court listings to confirm it before getting everyone all excited.
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by maggiemay48 View Post
                              There i am spending my money.Before i have even got it! Oh!Well not to worry.theres no harm in dreaming.I wonder will i still be alive when the case is settled?
                              I think you will be.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X