• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Owed money by ex partner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owed money by ex partner

Hello, Firstly I’d like to apologise if I’m posting in the wrong place. But I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice please. While with my ex I paid a debt off for him, and due to sour circumstances (lying about money and such) the relationship soon broke down after the loan was paid off. At first he agreed in person (while we was still together) that he would pay me back he full amount, which was around £3500 mark. After the relationship broke down and through trying to remain amicable we agreed he would pay £2000 off (he protested he couldn’t pay the full amount as he had paid rent and such while living with me, even though I had paid same amount in rent too) but I agreed on £2000, I’d like to add I have all these conversations saved.
    He began payment of £100 a month until he had paid the full £2000, and this was last November (12 months ago) that he started this. All was going well until a few months back.
    The past 4 months I’ve had to text to remind him or ask him if he was making the payment. I even said to him I understand if he was struggling or needed to take a month off, I’ve tried to be very friendly through the whole thing, and numerous times he has told me he will be paying me a lump sum to finish the debt, but I have not held my breath. Each month has been a new excuse but he had eventually paid. However this month he has ignored my message, where on the Tuesday I messaged and asked him to pop it in my account by Friday. And he has not. He has ignored my message completely even though the messaging service says he has been online regularly.
    Id rather not get into a texting/telephone row and I was wondering what my options are?

Thankyou.

How have you got the conversations saved? In text? Looks like you'll have to make a court claim, but will the court be able to collect?

Comment

I have the messages saved as screen shots as the original convo was on a old phone. But I do have texts saved on here. What do you mean by Will the court be able to collect? Sorry

Comment

If you issue a claim and you win has he enough cash or income tobe able to pay you what the courts order?

Otherwise, as you have the documentation, then you may well have a good claim.

Comment

Ah sorry, as far as I am aware he recently got a promotion at his job, and still earns more than I do.

Comment

So there's a good chance that he can pay. If your documents and texts definitely show that he has admitted to the debt then issue a small claim. You can't just drop a claim on him without warning so you have to send him a letter reminding of why there is a debt and requesting the repayment of the amount outstanding, possibly starting with the original amount less payments already made rather than the £2000, and give a deadline for it to be paid or action will be taken to enforce.

To start a claim then register with MCOL using this site. It's not instantaneous so if you're serious start the registration now. You may want to keep the claim below £3000 as some has been paid. That keeps the cost of the claim to £105 (paid for by your ex eventually !). Going for £3500 costs £185.

Quite often just the sight of a MCOL form gets the result you want. If he just ignores then you get a judgement by default and you may get the pleasure of seeing him on "Can't Pay, we'll take take it away".

Comment

Just to note Ostell - it's this site https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim now - much easier to use for LIPs, the old one can still be used and is used by debt purchasers still, but the new system is simpler for laymen.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks Amethyst, I wasn't aware there was a new one. I tried it as far as having to create a user ID and it seems fine, though still in beta

Comment

I knocked up a little guide for Claimant's ( attached ) which will give you a decent overview how it works - working on a Defendant's one now.
                  Attached Files
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I like that guide, looks good and an easy process. Hope the OP finds it easy

Comment

Thankyou both, so first step is to write him a letter reminding him of the debt that is needed to be repaid.

I’ve got screenshots and saved conversations from recent stating how many payments are left to be paid and he is fully aware, at this point it’s more principle than money.
                      Again thankyou for your advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X