• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

OFT Test Case - as it happens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFT Test Case - as it happens

I arrived at the venue with no-one else in sight at 5am.

The IDRC is a smart modern building with a revolving door to reception with a sign boldly stating ''State of the art mediation'' an interesting concept.

I was issued a security pass for the day along with Stephen, Tom and Phil. We're back at the Leagle Beagles bunker chilling out before heading back to the venue for 10.00.

The passes are for the video feed retiring room which will have 2 x 40 inch screens. Rather amusingly the IDRC guy in charge of issuing the passes told us he had successfuly claimed back charges from HSBC.

I'll post an update when the hearing adjourns for lunch at one.

Re: Day 1

Fantastic News EXC

Look forward to hearing from you later
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Day 1 - OFT Test Case - as it happens

Yep fantastic... who is Phil though?

Comment

Thats fantastic that you managed to get passes for the morning session.
        DSxx

Comment

The passes are for the whole day. Stephen, Phil, Tom and EXC
          are due back to the LB Bunker (where I am right now) at 1.10 for lunch.
          There will be an afternoon session that I may be able to get into.
          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Any news yet?
            any opinion are are my own and advice offered is gained from my experience of life. If you want legal advice consult a Lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
              The passes are for the whole day. Stephen, Phil, Tom and EXC
              are due back to the LB Bunker (where I am right now) at 1.10 for lunch.
              There will be an afternoon session that I may be able to get into.
              Any news for us??? What was on the menu for lunch??

Comment

Banks blame OFT for 'torrent of refund claims' - Legal Beagles
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Future Of High Street Banking In Balance In High Court |Sky News|Business
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hearing tomorrow will commence at 11am

Abbey Nationals turn
                    Last edited by Amethyst; 17th January 2008, 15:59:PM.
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

pmsl oh dear
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

After a change of clothes and coffee at the plush and well lit Legal Beagles bunker we arrived back at the venue. Outside the IDRC was the band doing a live performance of I Fought The Bank watched by a clutch of TV cameras and some slightly confused passers by.

The Scene

The Retirement room had 25 chairs in rows of 5 facing two large flat screen TV’s. It was difficult to say who the other attendees were or what interest they had in the case. Although it was apparent that one was from the Daily Mirror, a lady from A&L.s solicitors and a presenter from Channel 4 News. None of the others seemed to be either from the media or campaign groups.

A court attendent explained the basic procedure and hovered around reminding everyone, countless times, to switch off there mobiles. During the. half hour wait for the show to start there were scenes of lawyers settling into there places in the courtroom. Some were having animated discussions but unfortunately the sound was switched off until the procceedings began. Shame.

The left hand screen was focused on Judge Andrew Smith and the right on the banks legal teams. The courtroom was laid out in rows of tables almost like a school room and the walls were dominated by shelves from floor to ceiling neatly stacked with arch files containing the acres of court bundles. How on earth the judge read it all in two days I’ll never know. the hearing was located next door but one from our feed room.

The Cast.

Judge Andrew Smith bore a fair resemblence to snooker player Dennis Taylor without the glasses. He, on occasion, had a mild stutter. The banks legal teams of which there were 6 per bank comprised of a fair amount of women. Most sat in front of laptops. The opening submission was made by the QC for RBS and next to him sat Nat west’s QC Ben Pilling, a man with rodent like features and a reputation to match. He represented Nat West against both Stephen Hone and Tom Brennan and was described by a certain barrister in the feed room as ‘’smarmy’’.

The show

At 10.30 sharp the court clerk said ‘’rise’ and everyone stood briefly, bowed, and sat down. The judge started with an apology to all present for the day’s delay to the start of the case, due to the jury still sitting on his criminal trial in Chester involving 3 ‘’youngsters’’. and went on to apologise in advance for having to return sometime in the next 10 days for sentencing.

The RBS QC then stood directly in front of the judge, behind two boxes to begin his submission.

To be continued…

Comment

Day 1 - OFT Test Case - as it happens

Apologies for not posting sooner.....its been a very busy day!

I arrived at the bunker shortly after 12. It was a great set up, even if it did look like there had been a stampede in there. Lap tops, clothes and coffee cups everywhere!

EXC, Tom Brennan, Phil and Stephen arrived shortly after one. We ordered lunch and discussed the events of the morning.

The overall impression is that we have a GOOD JUDGE! He wasn't at all overwhelmed by the vast array of legal elite representing the banks. He questioned and queried many points made and seemed to be interested in being absolutely scrupulous and fair in his interpretation of the points made to him.

It was nice to meet Stephen at long last, we had spoken before and had many a MSN chat, but it is always good to put a face to a character. Tom was also very charming and extremely bright. We all had a very enjoyable hour long chat about the case, our thoughts for the outcome and of course and also the various websites involved in the campaign against these charges.

Sadly I think we all agreed that the likely outcome will be a lengthy appeals process, so I feel a fresh assault on the FSA's waiver will be urgently required.

I walked down to the court with Stephen, Tom and Phil. They all decided that as the afternoon was likely to be entirely comprised of RBS's Laurence Rabinowitz putting his defence across, that they would head home and try and make up for their total lack of sleep!

I headed in to the court and took my seat at the back of the feed room. The room was 2/3 full, seemingly mainly with lawyers rather than journalists. Evidently, the media had their fun with Oystar earlier in the day! A dancing horse will always do better than 'dry legal argument'!

The feed room was quite small with two flat screens displaying a view of Mr Justice Andrew Smith and a second view of the court room.

Laurence Rabinowitz was working slowly through the RBS defence mainly trying to explain that a 'penalty' charge is effectively a part of the 'price' of a service or goods. There was a major discussion based around: http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/j...arlingtons.htm

Mr Justice Smith queried many points made by Mr Rabinowitz. At times he seemed utterly unconvinced of Mr Rabinowitz interpretations and interjected many times to request clarification. He also frequently offered an alternative analysis to a given scenario. He also disagreed when Mr Rabinowitz said that the OFT's interpretation of the implication of Bairstowe v Darlingtons was 'mangled' However the atmosphere was surprisingly light and at times even humorous. Both Justice Smith and Mr Rabinowitz have a sense of humour and used it often during their dialogue.

During the afternoon break, I got chatting with a lady sitting near me. After a few moments discussing who was who and the case, I asked where she was from and got a jolt when she said the BBA! She asked me where I was from, I said Legal Beagles and was rather amused to discover she knew all about us.

It was interesting and satisfying to have attended and seen the proceedings at close hand. I feel quietly confident that Justice Smith will be fair and meticulous in his hearing of the case. It is already widely believed that the case will now take several weeks as opposed to eight days. RBS are arguing first and longest, the others will follow on, presenting their own clients individual arguments, layering those on top of all defence arguments that precede them. In theory the banks toward the end of the queue will take less time than RBS who are scheduled to take 2 days.

The OFTs section of the case will be the next highlight.
                          Last edited by Celestine; 17th January 2008, 21:13:PM.
                          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Very interesting summation Kate, will you be attending tomorrow mornings proceedings?

Comment

well done folks excellent work

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X