• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

UK cuts health ties with Channel Islands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK cuts health ties with Channel Islands

You will need your own travel insurance if you are planning a trip to Jersey or any of the other Channel Islands, as UK government severs agreement
    If you are planning a trip to the Channel Islands make sure you pack some travel insurance, because a change to the healthcare rules applying to UK visitors means you could be hit with a big bill if you are injured or fall ill.
    In what seems to be a cost-cutting exercise by the UK government, an agreement in place since the mid-70s allowing UK travellers to get some free medical treatment is being scrapped on Tuesday.
    Anyone travelling to Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark or Herm after this date will be required to pay for any medical treatment, even though the islands are crown dependencies, the UK Department of Health says.
    As a result, UK residents visiting the islands "must ensure they have adequate travel insurance," it adds.
    A spokeswoman for the department says it has always recommended that Brits going to the islands take out travel cover, as even with the agreement in place, UK tourists have always been charged for some healthcare services, including GP treatment, dental care and prescribed medicines (in Jersey), A&E hospital treatment, emergency dental treatment, GP and other medical care, ambulance travel and prescribed medicines (in Guernsey).
    At the moment, if someone falls ill on holiday in Jersey they would have to pay to see a GP or to get prescribed medicine – but would get free in-patient and outpatient treatment and free ambulance travel. From 1 April, the things that are currently free will have to be paid for, though if you have travel cover, the insurer will pick up the tab.
    Travellers cannot rely on cover from the European Health Insurance Card scheme as the islands are not part of the EU.
    The press release announcing the change does not explain why the UK government is ending the agreement, though it is understood the official view is that it no longer represents good value for money.
    Ironically, a few days after making the announcement, the DoH released new research showing that while almost half of all British travellers become ill or injured on holiday, 35% have delayed often essential medical treatment until they got back home. One of the main reasons people give for not seeking treatment abroad was "concern about the potential cost".

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2009 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

More...

Re: UK cuts health ties with Channel Islands

This isn't all. In future even when you travel to the IoW or Mull you'll be required to produce photo ID. ................How this will effect those without such ID, a DL or passport who are often elderly isn't explained

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post
      This isn't all. In future even when you travel to the IoW or Mull you'll be required to produce photo ID. ................How this will effect those without such ID, a DL or passport who are often elderly isn't explained
      Send an email to the organisation and ask(that is what I have been doing if I think there is an issue that needs a little clarity).

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "send an email" it's either true or it ain't . Forgot to mention it also includes the IoM

Comment

If its all explained, righty, then the bit in bold is answered already. If not then send em an email is the comment.

Comment

I didn't send an email I phoned IoW ferries & no one could give me an answer.

No matter what they say NOW (there's an election in 10 months) this government are determined to make ID cards in one form or another essential to our daily lives

Comment

I didn't send an email I phoned IoW ferries & no one could give me an answer.

No matter what they say NOW (there's an election in 10 months) this government are determined to make ID cards in one form or another essential to our daily lives
              The article is about health insurance, does the ferry companies do health insurance or have I misread the article?

Comment

It's about travel & I believe both issues are relevant & Nattie why you should want to argue for the sake of it I have no idea but if that's what float's your boat sobeit

Comment

It's about travel & I believe both issues are relevant & Nattie why you should want to argue for the sake of it I have no idea but if that's what float's your boat sobeit
                  Its cos you are not reading the actual article which is about travel insurance. When you first posted I suggested emailing to resolve an issue and then I decided to do the one thing I didn't and which you appear not to have done, ie READ THE ARTICLE and not READ AROUND THE ARTICLE.
                  For information, if it was about travel issues to the channel Islands I would have emailed the government department or Isle of Man. I've done that before and will do it again when issues arise. At least the thread appears to be more interesting than perhaps the article actually was

Comment

are you saying travellers will NOT have to produce photo ID to visit the Channel Islands + IoW + IoM + NI??

Comment

are you saying travellers will NOT have to produce photo ID to visit the Channel Islands + IoW + IoM + NI??
                      Where does it say in the article* that travellers WILL or WILL NOT have to produce photo ID to visit the Channel Islands + IoW + IoM + NI??

* For reference the article refers to the newspaper article that has appeared in The Guardian newspaper on Saturday 28th March 2009 which is quoted on Post 1.

Comment

HOME OFFICE -> UK Border Agency | Proposed arrangements for travel between the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the United Kingdom

This page explains how the UK Border Agency's plans to reform the operation of the common travel area will affect the arrangements for travel between the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the United Kingdom.
                        We will not introduce fixed or routine immigration controls on passengers travelling between the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the United Kingdom. We will increase intelligence-led operations on these routes.
                        Passengers travelling between the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the United Kingdom will not need to carry a passport or national identity card for immigration purposes.
                        Customs controls between the Bailiwick of Guernsey and the United Kingdom, and between the Bailiwick of Jersey and the United Kingdom, will remain in place.

also UK Border Agency | If you are travelling to or from the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Amusing comment from BBA regarding tax and the PM and the channel Islands

A letter from the Prime Minister to Britain’s crown dependencies demanding greater transparency on tax was seen as a veiled threat to the Channel Islands. He really must stop writing letters to people.
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I'm surprised they could read it

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X