• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Man 'evicted over legal bill' after solicitor complaint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man 'evicted over legal bill' after solicitor complaint

Rip off Britain on Wednesday 8th October will feature this story
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-26725929
    Man 'evicted over legal
    bill' after solicitor complaint

24 March 2014 Last updated at
    22:39 GMT

A pensioner from Greater Manchester claims he is being evicted after
    complaining about the solicitor who handled his father's will.

Paul Cowdrey from Rochdale said his home, part of his late father's
    inheritance, is being sold to pay a £130,000 legal debt owed to a solicitor.

He said he complained to the Law Society about the amount of hours he was
    being billed for by solicitor Michael Sandler.

Mr Cowdrey said he was then billed by him for investigating the
    complaint.

Two High Court judges have ruled Mr Sandler was right but the Solicitors
    Regulatory Authority described his behaviour as "morally reprehensible".
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Man 'evicted over legal bill' after solicitor complaint

Also http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/mp-i...038787.article
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Costs schedule http://www.paulcowdrey.webspace.virg...pdf/latest.pdf
      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Just read it all what a bloody disgrace, another 'loophole'.

Why are these in no way accountable ? Legal Complaints Service that he would not be liable for costs in a complaint about alleged misconduct.

and what chuffin use are these ?
        The SRA has told the MP and Cowdrey that it is powerless to stop Keoghs enforcing the costs order, in spite of any advice he may previously have received.

Thinking back this could have been me in this situation, very easily.

Comment

Judgment http://t.co/oHShubvfqw
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
            Just read it all what a bloody disgrace, another 'loophole'.

Why are these in no way accountable ? Legal Complaints Service that he would not be liable for costs in a complaint about alleged misconduct.

and what chuffin use are these ?
            The SRA has told the MP and Cowdrey that it is powerless to stop Keoghs enforcing the costs order, in spite of any advice he may previously have received.

Thinking back this could have been me in this situation, very easily.
            Me too, Enaid!

The moral for us all is: Do not appoint a solicitor as executor of your will!

Executors, trustees, beneficiaries are all then free to engage a professional as and when needed and not a hostage to these exorbitant charges for which there seems to be no redress even through the alleged regulatory bodies.

The key issue being that the beneficiary would then , unarguably, be the "client" rather than a third party.

This gives a better chance of any legacy going to your heirs and not being soaked up by the legal profession.

That poor man!

Comment

So in a nutshell Solicitor employed his own firm to deal with beneficiaries complaints, as the beneficiary (it was decided) was not a client of the firm but a third party and lost, then costs go to him?

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                So in a nutshell Solicitor employed his own firm to deal with beneficiaries complaints, as the beneficiary (it was decided) was not a client of the firm but a third party and lost, then costs go to him?
                Quite - and apparently all within the letter of the law. Iniquitous. :colbert:

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                  Me too, Enaid!

The moral for us all is: Do not appoint a solicitor as executor of your will!

Executors, trustees, beneficiaries are all then free to engage a professional as and when needed and not a hostage to these exorbitant charges for which there seems to be no redress even through the alleged regulatory bodies.

The key issue being that the beneficiary would then , unarguably, be the "client" rather than a third party.

This gives a better chance of any legacy going to your heirs and not being soaked up by the legal profession.

That poor man!

Yep exactly I had a bit of a do getting my dads will and deeds off his solicitor even with a LPA, finished up dad doing a new will naming me and my sis as executors instead of the Solicitor.
                  Thing is people of my dads era and possibly mine think they must have a solicitor in these matters and as you state, far easier to get one if you need one rather than have one you don't need.

Comment

What is particularly disturbing about this is the position of the SRA. Surely if they can see that the behaviour of the solicitor is "morally reprehensible" than it's within their remit to discipline him for bringing the profession into disrepute?

They also (as with the FSA/FCA fiasco) seem to be saying that they can't do anything about complaints raised to the LCS as they are a "new" regulatory body.

The letter (p14-15), indeed everything on this PDF (sorry can't cut & paste to quote) from Anthony Townsend (CE of SRA) to Simon Danczuk MP is truly shocking:
                    http://www.paulcowdrey.webspace.virg...f/sv230714.pdf (pages 14 & 15)

It seems that the SRA has no regulatory power at all. What is the point of having a "Code of Conduct" if there is absolutely no enforcement or discipline for those who choose to break it?

Enaid, in our parents' time solicitors probably did largely try to conform to Lord Bingham's model - that we should be confident that we could trust them "to the ends of the earth" - but that no longer seems to be the norm and voluntary self-regulation is clearly not working to protect the public from the unscrupulous - more the other way around.

Comment

how true they are a waste of time,

Comment

This case was on Rip Off Britain this morning - it will be available on watch again shortly. Apparently the SRA couldn't comment on the case as it had been decided by a Judge.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

This interest me for 2 reasons.

1. I have half sister thats under 18, had 3/4mill left to her in estate, and the trustees ( solisitors ) have been taking the P, and have been very cavalear with the interpritation of the wording of the will. And have played hop scotch

2. I had £ 238,000 legal charges, charged against my estate ( in my BK fight ). That i fought, successfully ( eventually ).

On this particular man case, i would be demanding the claimant prove the value of the work done to the charges imposed. This is what i did.

re - the SRA.... they do work, but you have to go through there regulations, and make sure your argument fits one of there rules..... base your complaint around a breach of there rules directly.
                          crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s-6-episode-18

32:42 mins in
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X