• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Victim of identity theft, anything I can do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victim of identity theft, anything I can do?

So I got a letter last Friday addressed to me and at my address (obviously) from O2 welcoming me to my new contract and giving some basic details of said contract. However I have not had an account with O2 in years, and it would have been a different address anyway and I certainly didnt sign up to a new one.

So I rang O2 and they were okay about it, took some details and said they would forward this to their fraud department and I should expect to hear from them in 5-10 working days. Got a letter from them today (the following Friday) just telling me that the fraudulent account had been closed and that I should check with the credit agencies to make sure it wasnt on my report .

This result is okay but I feel a little underwhelmed, am I not able to find out who this person is? Or press charges? I dont know what other information they might have about me and when they might use it again.

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by adambart84; 23rd August 2019, 12:42:PM.
    Tags: None

You can report it to Action Fraud but don't expect anything to happen. Send a Subject Access request to O2 to see what data they hold about you, keep an eye on your credit report and keep that letter from them confirming the fraud safe ( in case it pops back up in a couple years time as a debt ). You can make a formal complaint to O2 asking how someone was able to open an account using your details, ask them to confirm what ID checks are undertaken ( was it opened in store ?) and ask what they can do to assure you it won't happen again.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Okay thanks for the reply, I will be sure to get onto O2 and find out what they know. Crazy how little details they must have needed to give someone a contract.

Comment

Spam is a big issue on this site which is a shame - is there a mecanism to report it and have it removed?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X