• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Paying council tax while living abroad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paying council tax while living abroad

What was happening with the council tax before your relative passed away ? Did he pay the full amount ? Were the council aware of the tenants in the property ?

I think a phone call to the council would be in order to find out why it has taken 5 years for them to tell you something wasn't right.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

NO, they were my aunt, my brother and a friend. So not paying rent.

Comment

Your aunt, your uncle's wife, or sister ?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

He was. So you think i have a legal case based on them being 5 years late?

- - - Updated - - -

NO she's not.

Comment

Okay.

So who owns that part of the property now ? What happened with your Uncles estate ?
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

It was left in his name for 5 years. I will transfer his part to another relative.

Comment

Did anyone inform the council of your Uncle's death ?

There are exemptions to council tax in the event the owner dies but only if no one is living in the property. If it is jointly owned then the liability passes to the surviving partner. There is a six month leaway period as far as I am aware to allow for probate, and council tax is then claimed from the estate.

If nothing has been done about your Uncles death in five years you are going to have a fair bit of sorting out to do.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

My uncle's probate was finished. Just his name was left on the property. What kind of sorting out?

- - - Updated - - -

so form what you are saying, because the council were not informed, that explains why it took them five years?

Comment

Well, partially, and you living abroad may have hindered things. I think you should phone the council and find out what's been happening and why you are only hearing about this now. Does your mail usually get forwarded on to you by the tenants?
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

My brother has been dealing with my mail. However, we did not hear anything or receive any bill for them or 5 years. Are we obliged to tell them the situation following probate?

Comment

in fact, i only heard about it with the council tax summons, i had to pay part of 5 yeas to get it out of court, and they will reopen the file later. The question is if we are obliged to tell them in the last 5 years or if it is their fault for not following up..

Comment

Hi. Council tax is due on the property. And they can claim back up to 7 years easy. Further if needed. Unless you have a contract with the occupires. Like a tenancy contract. Then u owe it in full.

If ur an oversees owner recieving rent from the property. There may be other tax implications as well
                          crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Thanks. I receive no rent as they are family members. What other tax implications? Where can I find this info in black and white i.e. govt legislation website..to say it's law?

Comment

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/14/section/6
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

You mentioned one of your family members was running a cafe from the ground floor - have they been paying business rates and have the relevant licences ?
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X