• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Coventry Council Apologises for Threatening Bankruptcy for £42.50!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coventry Council Apologises for Threatening Bankruptcy for £42.50!!

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water, the sharks are circling again.

This arrived this morning, even though the council was paid a while back and I have been in constant contact with Newylns regarding their inflated fees, including telling them I would be clearing the balance on 1st August when I get paid, they still insist nothing has been paid, now threatening bankcruptcy, which apparently they have been intructed to do by their client, Coventry City Council

For £42.50 FFS, there having a laugh, thought it had to be at least £750

I need a strong worded letter if someone could oblige please, to inform the council of this outfits business practices.
    Attached Files

Re: Newlyn Bailiffs RE: Council Tax

Ouch - that's not nice of them is it! Is the total sum of Council Tax owing in excess of £750?

Comment

There is no council tax owing, its been paid direct to the council weeks ago, they know this

They are threatening backcruptcy for their fees alone, £42.50

Comment

Hmmm....... interesting. How exactly do they plan to bankrupt you for £42.50? Bear with me a bit on this one.

Comment

Thanks for the PM Labman
          I'm happy to give them a call tomorrow to 'politely' enquire what the **** they are playing at? :tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Just need a PM with name/reference number. Though CP may need to give them authority to speak to me?
          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thanks guys, contacting to celestine as we speak

Comment

Spoke to Newlyn and Coventry Council Press Team.

I just await a response from Coventry. I'll update when I have that.
              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                Spoke to Newlyn and Coventry Council Press Team.

I just await a response from Coventry. I'll update when I have that.
                No doubt that will give them time to have a conflab & come up with a story that will lay the blame at the OP's door.

Comment

I cant see how they can conflab an excuse to cover threatening BR for under £750 :o

Despite all the many failings CornishPasty has experienced over the debt, my concern is focussed on the abuse of debt collection guidelines by a major council.

Comment

This is the email I await a response to:

Dear John

Following our brief telephone conversation, I can confirm:

The debtor is Cornish Pasty
                    XXXXXX XXXX XXXXX

CT REF XXXXXX

The debtor received the attached letter; which clearly states BANKRUPTCY PROCEEDINGS. It then goes on to describe the consequences of Bankruptcy in detail.

The UK Bankruptcy threshold is £750 and it is an abuse of OFT debt collection guidelines to lead someone to believe they will be made bankrupt for an amount lower than that. Im sure you will agree, £42.50 is therefore a gross abuse of the guidelines.

I was disturbed to learn from Newlyn that "Coventry Council approve of these letters". If this is incorrect, then the Finance Director responsible for the contract for CT collection needs to address this very urgently.If it is correct then I am very disappointed that a respected City Council has misinterpreted national regulations to such a serious extent.

I work at the 'sharp end' of debt and I see the devastating impact such letters have upon an already stressed population. Such threats can lead to suicides and depression and do not assist in resolving the indebtedness in a fair manner.

Mr XXX has been extremely upset and distressed by these events and deserves an sincere apology from both Coventry Council and Newlyns.

I would also expect to see reassurances that such letters are never used against debtors owing less than £750 again.

I can be reached on XXXX or XXXXX.

Mr XXXX has kept a detailed diary of his experiences here:
                    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...RE-Council-Tax

Legal Beagles is an OFT stakeholder and works to improve the treatment of consumers by the financial industry. We are viewed by 2 million people annually and have 35,000 registered embers.

I plan a major article on this story, especially if we see no sensible response from either Newlyn or Coventry. Nationally there is a huge amount of dissatisfaction with the conduct of bailiff companies acting to recover CT, so it is expected that "Coventry Council threatened Bankruptcy for £42.50" would attract a high level of further media interest.

I therefore look forward to hearing from you promptly.

Kind regards

Kate Briscoe

Founder www.legalbeagles.info

Comment

Of course it was only £707.50 below the BR threshold! It would be hard to explain, other than the common one of 'Computer generated letters' which never quite cut it with me.

I like the email - it will be interesting to see the response.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                        Legal Beagles is an OFT stakeholder and works to improve the treatment of consumers by the financial industry. We are viewed by 2 million people annually and have 35,000 registered embers.
                        Please don't write us off as mere embers - I'm sure I could manage a flame if required. :grin:

Comment

Hi Kate,
                          Sorry for the delay.

Here's our response.

A Council spokesperson said: " The Council has discussed the issue with Newlyn Plc and we would like to apologise to Mr XXXX for the letter issued and for any distress it has caused.

"Mr XXXX settled the outstanding Council Tax arrears by instalments, but left outstanding £42.50, a sum equal to the visit fees incurred on the account. A letter was sent asking for the remaining balance, which did include details of potential bankruptcy action. The Council and Newlyn accept entirely that this was inappropriate due to the small balance that remained outstanding.

"We will be contacting Mr XXXX to apologise for the error and, together with Newlyn, we will look at processes and work to ensure letters are issued correctly."

Thanks,
                          John.

Comment

Chuffin 'Sorry' my gawd they should be strung up by the balls.

PS forget to say very well done to all concerned but it is become a habit ROFL xx

Comment

Another happy customer and a good result. Well done Cel. The more we can keep the pressure on through examples like this, the better. Can we not still publicise the letter, along with their apology somewhere? Maybe a few more people from Coventry would come forward then.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X