• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Repossession Hearing for Rent Arrears & Costs Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repossession Hearing for Rent Arrears & Costs Help

I was in court yesterday with my daughter for a repossession hearing for rent arrears on her flat.

As all arrears had been paid before the hearing the court adjourned the case for 12 months but made an order for my daughter to pay legal fees & court costs. As my daughter is on Universal Credit she offered to pay £10 p/m but the claimant refused this and the Judge said that if a repayment schedule is not agreed then my daughter will have to ask the court to decide.

My daughter has 14 days to either pay or come to an agreement and I can't see the Landlord's Agent agreeing to anything. Is there a form that can be sent to the court asking for time to pay?
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Snapples View Post
    I was in court yesterday with my daughter for a repossession hearing for rent arrears on her flat.

As all arrears had been paid before the hearing the court adjourned the case for 12 months but made an order for my daughter to pay legal fees & court costs. As my daughter is on Universal Credit she offered to pay £10 p/m but the claimant refused this and the Judge said that if a repayment schedule is not agreed then my daughter will have to ask the court to decide.

My daughter has 14 days to either pay or come to an agreement and I can't see the Landlord's Agent agreeing to anything. Is there a form that can be sent to the court asking for time to pay?
    A Costs order is exactly the same as any judgement and if the two parties cannot agree the judgement can be enforced via various different mechanisms, such as applying for bailiffs to come around.

Application for enforcement can only be made after default on the 14 days, therefore it would be wise to contact the claimant today to ask their agreement of the proposed repayment plan giving seven days to respond or else she may make an application to the court without further reference to them.

Your daughter I assume should get fee remission being on UC and would be well advised to make an application to vary the order to pay in instalments before the 14 calendar days are up. An application to vary will put a bar in place and prevent the claimant from moving to enforcement until the application has been dealt with.

The application is filed with form N244 and its advised a draft order is included with the application to show the court exactly what she is proposing. In section 10 of the form N244 tick "the attached witness statement" and enclose a Witness Statements stating that she is unable to pay within 14 days, that she proposes repayment by instalment, attaches a Statement of assets and other financial circumstances by way of evidencing her financial situation and that the matter be determined without a hearing so as not to cause the claimant or court any further cost.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

A Costs order is exactly the same as any judgement and if the two parties cannot agree the judgement can be enforced via various different mechanisms, such as applying for bailiffs to come around.

Application for enforcement can only be made after default on the 14 days, therefore it would be wise to contact the claimant today to ask their agreement of the proposed repayment plan giving seven days to respond or else she may make an application to the court without further reference to them.

Your daughter I assume should get fee remission being on UC and would be well advised to make an application to vary the order to pay in instalments before the 14 calendar days are up. An application to vary will put a bar in place and prevent the claimant from moving to enforcement until the application has been dealt with.

The application is filed with form N244 and its advised a draft order is included with the application to show the court exactly what she is proposing. In section 10 of the form N244 tick "the attached witness statement" and enclose a Witness Statements stating that she is unable to pay within 14 days, that she proposes repayment by instalment, attaches a Statement of assets and other financial circumstances by way of evidencing her financial situation and that the matter be determined without a hearing so as not to cause the claimant or court any further cost.
      Thank you for your reply..

So, do you think she should immediately file the N244?

Application to vary the order to pay in instalments, what form is used for this?

Comment

N245 https://www.gov.uk/government/public...on-of-an-order
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I am getting confused now. N244 or N255 or both and does my daughter send the application with help for fees at the same time?
          Last edited by Snapples; 26th February 2019, 14:40:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X