• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

"In camera" employment tribunal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "In camera" employment tribunal

I've moved from Employment Law threads. I now have specific legal queries.
    I took the Probation Service to employment tribunal. I lost and costs were awarded against me.
    Q. When is it legal to hold part of an hearing "in camera"?
    Q. When can it be legal for the applicant to be excluded from that part-hearing?
    Q. When, in law, can the existence of such meetings be kept secret from the appellant?
    Q. On whose authority?
    Q. An employment tribunal is listed for three days. Decision is reached on second day, third day was spent in chambers. What can I deduce from this? (I have my own idea.)
    If anyone could enlighten me or point me to the relevant legislature. It would appear to be well-hidden on the web.Many thanks.

Re: "In camera" employment tribunal

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...lon%201716.doc

http://www.employmentappeals.gov.uk/...135fhMLNZT.doc

I do not know anything about employment tribunals but thought the above human rights info might be of use.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2004/20041861.htm#16a
    Originally posted by The Employment Tribunals (Constitution and Rules of Procedure) Regulations 2004
    Hearings which may be held in private
    16. - (1) A hearing or part of one may be conducted in private for the purpose of hearing from any person evidence or representations which in the opinion of the tribunal or chairman is likely to consist of information -

• (a) which he could not disclose without contravening a prohibition imposed by or by virtue of any enactment;

(b) which has been communicated to him in confidence, or which he has otherwise obtained in consequence of the confidence placed in him by another person; or

(c) the disclosure of which would, for reasons other than its effect on negotiations with respect to any of the matters mentioned in section 178(2) of TULR(C)A, cause substantial injury to any undertaking of his or any undertaking in which he works.

(2) Where a tribunal or chairman decides to hold a hearing or part of one in private, it or he shall give reasons for doing so. A member of the Council on Tribunals (in Scotland, a member of the Council on Tribunals or its Scottish Committee) shall be entitled to attend any Hearing or pre-hearing review taking place in private in his capacity as a member.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 24th May 2009, 22:12:PM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

That link most helpful. I've just read Sec.54 and The Register 32.(1). Hmm.

Comment

I've found the legislation I'd been looking for.

Comment

which is it?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re:"in camera" employment tribunal

Hi Amethyst.
            Looks like I was given an "edited" version of the ET decision, which can only suggest cover-up. I'm confused. Some documents say I should be informed of any part of proceedings being held in camera. Other documents would appear to suggest otherwise. I'll let you know once I've done some more research.
            Zeitgit
            Last edited by zeitgit; 11th June 2009, 20:29:PM. Reason: forgot the title

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X