• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bet company settlement - are they now liable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bet company settlement - are they now liable?

Hello everyone. Long time lurker here.

Without going into the details, I recently settled a problem with a betting online company. The settlement offer was some money and some free bets.

Whilst the problem was being debated, this company suspended my account.

Yesterday I emailed back and for with someone there to make arrangement to pay the cash part of the settlement to my bank account. I also asked "when will the free bets be put back in my reinstated account?" I was told by the end of the day.

Bought some tips from a tipster online to place the free bets. Went to log-in just before midnight. Could not. Account closed. I went on the sites online chat and told that person the games I was betting on were starting in a couple of hours (they were in the USA) and she refused to reopen the account, telling me to email customer services in the morning. She also would not connect me with a supervisor - there was not one available.

I have accepted their settlement offer and I believe that they have now contravened the terms of that settlement, as they have not reinstated my account or made the free bets available to me by the given time/date they told me they would be.

I relied on their information and the free bets and these four games all went on to be won in my favour.

I am out of pocket about five grand because of this maladministration.

Can I now tell them to cough this cash up?

Thanks all

M Dido
    Tags: None

Re: Bet company settlement - are they now liable?

Anyone?

Comment

Unlikely they will pay up would be in the small print that they are not liable.
      Is there a receipt online for this bet on there website you can access may help your case.problem may be if you take action what juristriction the company operates under if you take any legal action

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        Unlikely they will pay up would be in the small print that they are not liable.
        Is there a receipt online for this bet on there website you can access may help your case.problem may be if you take action what juristriction the company operates under if you take any legal action
        Many of the online betting companies operate out of Gibralter so legal action here in the UK would be difficult.

Comment

They are in the UK.

The bets were not placed as they denied me access to my account.

Comment

If you did not place a bet no chance of a 5k payout we could all not place a winning bet they would say.
            With respect if these tips are so good why not place cash bets in a betting shop does this online bookie have any.'if you name them others on here can read their terms and conditions to see if there is any way forward

Comment

I have free bets to use in my account. My claim would be that the terms of our settlement were that the account would be reopened and the free bets there to use the night that they failed to deliver on this. I relied on this information, and as a result it was too late to go to a bet shop and place the bets as it was mere hours away, late at night, before these USA games took place.

I also have the tips for the games to prove what bets I wanted to place, I specified the bets in the online chat that night when I was trying ot get the account reopened as per the agreement (with no joy), and I have my previous bet history with them showing the types of bets I placed, so proof of my intention to place similar types of bets on these games.

Comment

Post 1 you said "Without going into the details...."

Regretfully without full details as requested by [MENTION=30456]wales01man[/MENTION] you are unlikely to receive much worthwhile advice as the devil is in the detail

Comment

FULL DETAILS lol

I was told in a letter dated four days ago, sent Friday morning, that on agreeing the settlement, the free bets would be put in my account and the account reopened "as soon as reasonably practicable." Well the settlement was agreed and became legally binding a week ago.

On Friday day I responded to this email to ask "when will the free bets be placed in my reinstated account?" The response was sent immediately, stating: "the free bets will be placed in the account today."

I had been watching this tipster for three days before this. He came highly recommended. Bought all his tips those three days. He was on a roll. All the tips worked out. I bought four tips Friday afternoon after receiving word the free bets would be in my account that day. I spent six hours researching the games, and spoke to American friends who follow the sport there.

I decided these were the games i would place the bets on - the free bet were worth 2K by the way.

Tried to log in two hours before the games, could not. Went on their online chat - no help whatsoever. Told me to email in the morning. I warned them online I needed access to the account and free bets as the games started in two hours time.

MY CASE:

Breach of contract and resultant damages - I relied on the information given to me and the company failed to fulfil their end of the bargain. It is for-seeable by them that I would use free bets to bet on games and there would be a chance I went on to win - indeed that is the purpose of free bets - punters place them with the desire to win money.

I tried to mitigate my potential losses by getting in touch with them to ask them to fulfil what I was led to believe would happen. They failed.

I have proof of the bets I intended to place in the tips themselves, my betting patterns, and the fact I todl them the sport I wanted to bet on within two hours in the online chat.

What do you all think?

Also ,the settlement agreement was because of a problem previously with unhelpful, disorganised staff who gave me completely the wrong information.
                  Last edited by dido; 12th November 2017, 10:46:AM. Reason: typos

Comment

To be honest you have no chance of 5k with your claim you would have placed a winning bet sorry to say.
                    We have had several threads on here where others have wanted to claim from betting companies no one has to my knowledge come back to say they have won a claim maybe ithers know some.

Comment

Hmmh. That is interesting. I have been told by someone just yesterday that this exact thing did happen only this year.

- - - Updated - - -

The way free bets work is the money cannot be withdrawn only bet on the site - so you have to win the bets placed in order to get the original stake returned plus winnings, or you get nothing.

Bets have to be placed, therefore, and I have proof of the bets I wanted to place.

Comment

Has your account been reopened, and have you yet received your agreed settlement, even if belatedly?

Comment

There was no agreement to sign - I was asked to respond to a letter accepting the settlement a week ago (in order for the settlement to become binding, I assume), which I did that day.

The account has not yet been reopened.

Comment

The only thing that springs to mind to me is how the information was passed about the account being re-opened and free bets placed. "As soon as practically possible" and "placed in the account today" might not be specific enough, was there still time left of "today" for them to honour their pledge after you wanted to place the bets. The only thing for you at the moment is the fact that the account still hasn't been opened but could they mitigate that because you are now back in dispute?

Comment

Originally posted by dido View Post

Also ,the settlement agreement was because of a problem previously with unhelpful, disorganised staff who gave me completely the wrong information.
                              I might be missing something but if this is the case why did you invest in tips on the strength that they told you that your account would be open by the end of the day?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X