• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

conned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conned

i was tricked by a employment agency thinking i was signing up with them and being i was really being employed by another who are taking money out of my pay thinking about going to a tv program like dont get done get dom , who do i phone . thank u
    Tags: None

Re: conned

Directory enquiries or you could try google

Comment

Who is taking money out of your pay, and for what ?

Can you give us a bit more idea of what has happened.

We've got a few contact details of similar programmes to dont get don get dom (which is currently not in production) we can pass your issue on to.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by bessylu View Post
        i was tricked by a employment agency thinking i was signing up with them and being i was really being employed by another who are taking money out of my pay thinking about going to a tv program like dont get done get dom , who do i phone . thank u
        Could this relate to an umbrella company being used to pay you? Umbrella companies do charge a certain amount or percentage, they are often used by people who don't have their own limited companies and can be more tax effective than PAYE for temp or freelance work, even when taking their charges into account.

Some agencies require their temps to go through an umbrella company, but this fact should have been made clear to you. As Ame said above, a few more details would help.

Comment

they take money out to cover the cost of employer ni ,holiday pay and cost of employer insurance for employee

Comment

it is a umbrella company we were told we had to go paye and had no choice and we were told it was to only pay us as the agency had a independant payer we were not told it would be as employee we were told we would have 22.95 deducted to get paid that was it

Comment

Could you tell us the company name. The one that is taking the money from you.

Also have you checked with the tax office that your PAYE and NI is being paid?
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

crest plus

Comment

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3985455

another thread about them which might help.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

What kind of work are you doing ? Is it something where you would generally be self employed and invoice the firms for the work you do ?

Which agency did you go through ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

www.crestplus.com

Comment

I'm sorry but I can't see this being a con at all. :nono: Umbrella companies are perfectly legitimate and people who do not have their own companies often use them for tax purposes. Friends of mine were already using them, voluntarily, in 2000, and I chose to use one in 2004. Despite their charges, I was still around £50 a week better off that I'd have been working directly for the temp agency as PAYE. :wof:

Presumably you are working as a temp through another agency who uses crestplus to pay you, that's not unusual. The other agency should have told you about this arrangement as well as the daily/hourly rates, whether they included holiday pay, etc. at the time they arranged your booking. Is the £22.95 deduction weekly? Whether £22.50 a week (if it's applied on a weekly basis) is reasonable or excessive depends on the rates you are getting and the number of hours/days you are working.

When you use an umbrella, you are often able to deduct expenses for tax purposes as you normally do when you are self-employed or limited company. This could be turned to your advantage. :thumb:

I'll ask someone who's had more recent experience than me with umbrellas and being forced to use them by temp agencies, to pop in.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                          I'm sorry but I can't see this being a con at all. :nono: Umbrella companies are perfectly legitimate and people who do not have their own companies often use them for tax purposes. Friends of mine were already using them, voluntarily, in 2000, and I chose to use one in 2004. Despite their charges, I was still around £50 a week better off that I'd have been working directly for the temp agency as PAYE. :wof:

Presumably you are working as a temp through another agency who uses crestplus to pay you, that's not unusual. The other agency should have told you about this arrangement as well as the daily/hourly rates, whether they included holiday pay, etc. at the time they arranged your booking. Is the £22.95 deduction weekly? Whether £22.50 a week (if it's applied on a weekly basis) is reasonable or excessive depends on the rates you are getting and the number of hours/days you are working.

When you use an umbrella, you are often able to deduct expenses for tax purposes as you normally do when you are self-employed or limited company. This could be turned to your advantage. :thumb:

I'll ask someone who's had more recent experience than me with umbrellas and being forced to use them by temp agencies, to pop in.
                          I'm sorry Parrot but many agencies fail to specify that the rate quoted is an umbrella rate, not a PAYE. It is like if you accept a job offer, say, paying £25k a year but then you are told that you will not get any paid holidays and that you will have to cover the employer's part of your national insurance too.

A rough difference between PAYE and umbrella rate is about 25%, hence your £25k salary would be worth just £20k.

It is this practice by agencies, rather than umbrellas themselves, that needs to stop. There is nothing wrong with umbrella arrangements provided that the agency specifies clearly that they are talking about an umbrella rate which includes absolutely everything i.e. your holiday pay and all national insurance contributions, including those normally paid by your employer. They then need to mention that umbrella companies charge fees for their services.

Umbrellas can be useful for certain types of contracts, especially those where lots of expenses are occurred and the pay is at least £250 per day (equivalent to £200 PAYE).

For most ordinary temps umbrellas don't serve any purpose, apart from being beneficial to agencies.

Do as I've done if you can. Get a direct contract with a client and get on to their payroll if possible. That will teach agencies a lesson!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr $quanda£ot View Post
                            Umbrellas can be useful for certain types of contracts, especially those where lots of expenses are occurred and the pay is at least £250 per day (equivalent to £200 PAYE).

For most ordinary temps umbrellas don't serve any purpose, apart from being beneficial to agencies.
                            We all chose to voluntarily use them between 2000 and 2004 for a reason, and the pay wasn't nearly as much as that.

Originally posted by Mr $quanda£ot View Post
                            Do as I've done if you can. Get a direct contract with a client and get on to their payroll if possible. That will teach agencies a lesson!
                            ...or as I've done and set up your own company, that way you can invoice directly and skip the middle men. :grin: :grin:

Much more tax effective than being on anyone's PAYE. :wof:

Comment

client only goes through agents crest plus im not on enough for it to b my favour and i dont see spending up to 280 pounds in a week to get 20 percent back on my expences apoligies about speelling broke gllasses

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X