• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

7 months since voluntary interview for theft from employer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 months since voluntary interview for theft from employer

Hi there.
    Looking for some advice. In February I was dismissed and accused of stealing £3660 from my work (post office inside a cost cutter).
    Its such a long story but I’ll try to keep it short. So we had a visit from auditors who discovered that 2 girls were both down over £1000 on their post offices and mine was missing £3660. I was called in while the auditors were there. I could not explain where it was. I had been on my 2 days off and my post office was fine and all cash balanced prior to my days off. I got a phone call from my boss saying my post office was missing cash and could I come into work. I went immediately and tried to assist the auditors to check the safe etc. I was told to go home after that and that my boss would let me know what happened. Fast forward to that evening (and a lot of distressed tears from me!) I text my boss as to what was happening. He was very evasive and said he’d be in touch. I again text the next day for any updates etc and had to continue to chase him for information for another day or two after that.
    He called me In for a meeting (in his words) to see how we can move forward. I got to the meeting and was dismissed immediately. I was not aware that the meeting was any kind of disciplinary prior to attending.
    Almost 4 weeks later, the police arrive at my door in regards to the allegation. They asked me if the could search my house to which I fully complied. They said it was my word against his. I mentioned that the store is covered by at least 25 CCTV cameras and that the boss continually watches them from his office so it was pretty much impossible to steal anything. The police said that he hadn’t even mentioned the fact that there was CCTV.
    Anyway they then asked me to attend a voluntary interview the following week which, again, I complied with.
    I attended the interview and answered all their questions. The asked me about my bank account and asked I f
    i would allow them access to check them. I filled in the necessary paperwork to allow them access to check my account without hesitation.
    The policeman interviewing me said it would be a couple of weeks and they would let me know whether the case would be dropped or sent to crown court (because of the amount). I haven’t heard a thing since. The police man who interviewed me never gave me a contact number or anything or even an email address I could
    contact him on and to be honest, I now can’t even remember his name so I can’t even ring him to ask for an update.
    Surely I should have heard something by now? I suffer bad anxiety and this is just ruining my life. I still go into the shop and have never been barred or anything which surely if he truly thought I’d taken the money, barring would be standard?
    Even though I know I haven’t taken it and there 100% wouldn’t be any footage of me taking anything because it doesn’t exist, I’m just worried why it’s taking so long?
    could they have dropped the case and not told me?

Any advice would be great!
    Tags: None

Sorry since you left in Feb this is not really an employment issue now. However will tag jaguarsuk who may be able to help.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

How awful for you. Have you had a look through previous reports regarding innocent postmasters being accused of theft by the post office? https://www.theguardian.com/business...se-post-office just briefly for an overview.

Were you part of a union at all ? You were employed by the post office ? or directly by the shop the postoffice was in?
      Did you get any advice at the time regarding the dismissal ( presumably for gross misconduct ) ?
      Sadly action for unfair dismissal claims has to be taken within 3 months so it is likely that side of things has passed, but you are still having to deal with the police investigation - have you heard nothing at all since the interview back in what, March/April ?

I'd get in contact with the police station where you had the voluntary interview and ask what's happening with the case. You can't just permanently live under a cloud like this.

What happened with the two girls who worked with you ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Okay, so I get you are innocent and I get you were trying to be helpful to show that. In future if any police officer wants to search your home unless they are in possession of a warrant it's a no. If you are invited to an interview or you are arrested you only ever interview with a solicitor present. There's a reason they exist and a reason your offered one.

The police have limited resources these days, so it could be they haven't been able to review all the CCTV and bank statements yet, equally they may have and the CPS are being very slow in their part in this. If the matter had been dropped you would have received a letter, so the fact you have not means it is still "live."

It doesn't matter that you do not know the police officers name or collar number dealing with the matter, you can ring 101 and inform the operator you are involved in an ongoing investigation, you can't remember the details of the officer dealing with it and you need to speak to the officer for an update. The operator should take some details to locate it and then send a message to the officer to contact you.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Hi, well it’s been almost a year to the day where this all happened and still haven’t heard a dicky bird from the police in regards to the matter, whether it’s ongoing or been dropped.
          Think I’m going to have to do the chasing to find out what’s happening so I can put an end to all this rubbish!
          Thanks everyone that’s replied for your help. I’m beginning to think that the case must have been dropped and I’ve just not been told because I can’t see it taking this long for them to view my bank accounts and the shop CCTV? There has been no arrest and no further interview and no contact from any of the police

Comment

Amethyst the 2 girls still work there a year later with no repercussions. I spoke to Acas and they said that because I’ve been there less than 2 years I cannot proceed with an unfair or constructure dismissal case against the owner. I was thinking of seeking legal advice for deformation of character once this is all done and dusted but have no idea where I would stand with that or whether I would even have a case against him? The facts I do know that at he beginning of all this, he sacked me immediately without me even knowing it was a disciplinary meeting and he sacked me without even viewing any CCTV prior to my dismissal. He didn’t even tell the police that there is CCTV all over the shop, it was not that brought that to their attention during my voluntary interview. He also took 4 weeks prior to my dismissal to even contact the police. Just something really stinks about the whole thing and it’s not me lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fifotay83 View Post
              Amethyst the 2 girls still work there a year later with no repercussions. I spoke to Acas and they said that because I’ve been there less than 2 years I cannot proceed with an unfair or constructure dismissal case against the owner. I was thinking of seeking legal advice for deformation of character once this is all done and dusted but have no idea where I would stand with that or whether I would even have a case against him? The facts I do know that at he beginning of all this, he sacked me immediately without me even knowing it was a disciplinary meeting and he sacked me without even viewing any CCTV prior to my dismissal. He didn’t even tell the police that there is CCTV all over the shop, it was not that brought that to their attention during my voluntary interview. He also took 4 weeks prior to my dismissal to even contact the police. Just something really stinks about the whole thing and it’s not me lol
              Defamation cases are heard in the high court and require substantial legal fees even to issue them, a solicitor would want funds on account to proceed with issuing such a claim.

The unfortunate thing is that with employment law as is in this country you have no method of recourse for this and all you can do is chalk this up to experience once finally closed off.
              COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

ACAS is quite correct in regard to the ability to proceed with a claim since firstly you have less than 2 years service and secondly you would now be out of time. It does not excuse your employer not going through a fair dismissal process but often with staff on less than 2 years service employers feel they can ignore this.

The facts as you have detailed them are around the dismissal process and the lack of information your ex-employer gave to the police in regard to the CCTV. As to whether this would be strong enough grounds for a defamation claim then I am doubtful, however this is not my area of expertise and hopefully Amethyst will be able to provide greater clarity.
                If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Well on Monday 11th it’s a year to the day since my voluntary interview and still no news thus far. I’m going to grow some balls and contact the interviewing station I was at (because I can’t for the life of me remember who the interviewing officer was and he gave me nothing with his details on) and find out what’s going on. This is getting stupid with how long it’s taken and that I’m having to chase for answers. I know they have bigger fish to fry but I quick call to say it’s still under investigation or a call to say it’s been dropped would have been appreciated. Monday is the day I’m getting some answers!!!

Comment

Go for it ! ( Don't expect too much but it really won't hurt to give finding out what,if anything, is going on, a try ) Hopefully it will set your mind at ease a bit xxx
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by Fifotay83 View Post
                        Hi, well it’s been almost a year to the day where this all happened and still haven’t heard a dicky bird from the police in regards to the matter, whether it’s ongoing or been dropped. run 3 online
                        Think I’m going to have to do the chasing to find out what’s happening so I can put an end to all this rubbish!
                        Thanks everyone that’s replied for your help. I’m beginning to think that the case must have been dropped and I’ve just not been told because I can’t see it taking this long for them to view my bank accounts and the shop CCTV? There has been no arrest and no further interview and no contact from any of the police
                        Defamation cases are heard in the high court and require substantial legal fees even to issue them, a solicitor would want funds on account to proceed with issuing such a claim.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X