• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RLP “Letter before Claim”- What do I do ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLP “Letter before Claim”- What do I do ??

First off this is my first time using this site so hello. So my situation is that on the 1st of March I stole from a superdrug. I’m not gonna try to excuse it as I know it’s wrong, but I had just lost my counsellor for the time being and am undergoing a lot of anxiety and depression not only from exam stress (I’m going through my GCSE’s this year) but also from losing my dad temporarily due to his imprisonment (long story). This morning I got a “Letter before Claim” from the RLP which terrified me, as the superdrug had only taken the items off me, which weren’t damaged and still in plastic, banned me from all stores (no time limit given) and taken my picture on a mobile- that’s it, no police call, just my name and address to double check I wasn’t lying. But the letter (linked below) says that I have 21 days to pay a £150 fine- I currently have no job but am on the hunt as I’m scared of the repurcussions if I don’t pay this fine. Please can someone help me out, I’m absolutely terrified and don’t know what to do.
    Cheers.
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Hi & welcome

Hmmm!

They seem to have *accidentally* missed out one option from the 'within the next 21 days you need to' list. (2nd page of the pics you have posted).

I'll add it to the list for them.
    • You can completely ignore our speculative attempt to obtain £250 from you!
    RLP have no legal right to any monies from you.
    As far as I'm aware they have only tried to take 1 person to court some years ago for this type of thing (Oxford) & they were soundly beaten there.
    An epic failure.

See attachment
    Attached Files
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Perhaps they have decided that their letters were not scary enough and so have updated them!

As a letter before claim they have failed miserably in that Pre Action Protocol requires that they give you 30 days to respond and also include some additional paperwork required by PAP (not the Q&A you were sent).

Did you note their ultimate threat? If you do not reply in 21 days they will write to you again !!! Not another scary letter !!

Comment

Hi and welcome.

Just a couple of points
        As you are a juvenile, how old are you and are you living at home with your parents or guardians?
        If at home are your parents/guardian aware of the incident?

I only mention this because it is not unknown for these people to write to the parents in case they are not aware their child may be keeping bad company.
        Probably illegal, but not a lot that can be done!

Comment

Just to show how templated and non specific these letters are ....
          Click image for larger version  Name:	CC92C021-183F-4EE8-AA0C-A0296F03E423.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	13.3 KB ID:	1454341

They are threatening some undefined action ( mainly to write to you again ) on something they have zero detail of - Superdrug haven't even told them the facts of what happened
          superdrug had only taken the items off me, which weren’t damaged and still in plastic
          ( that goods were recovered in resaleable condition ). Ignore them.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            Hi and welcome.

Just a couple of points
            As you are a juvenile, how old are you and are you living at home with your parents or guardians?
            If at home are your parents/guardian aware of the incident?

I only mention this because it is not unknown for these people to write to the parents in case they are not aware their child may be keeping bad company.
            Probably illegal, but not a lot that can be done!
            I'm currently 16 and living at home with my mam, who I haven't told about my situation. I understand how they got my address and name etc (I wrote it down in the superdrug) but how would they reach my mam, would they just send her a template letter addressed to my 'parent or guardian'? I want to be able to tell her as this is so out of character for me but I don't know how she'll react, for them to send her a letter- as you say, illegally- seems so wrong.

Comment

Please tell your mum you will be surprised how supportive she will be better than her getting a letter as for further action more pathetic letters put this behind you and look to the future and don't make the same mistake again

Comment

I'm afraid I can't tell for sure how your mother will react, but I expect she will be surprised, shocked, upset.
                She may or not be angry, but I hope that would soon pass.
                You'll possibly get a telling off. but hopefully after that her maternal feelings will kick in and she will support you.

Your "crime" is very minor, and doesn't warrant the stress that RLP cause.
                IMO their actions are a lot more reprehensible than yours, and they should be completely ignored with contempt.

If you or your mother need support or advice feel free to come back here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X