• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

h197 - Cabot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• h197 - Cabot

I have been reading a lot of the posts in this and other similar forums with interest and wish I had ne so earlier, as I would not now be in the mess I am in… I am writing to ask for some advice and/or help, as I have recently received a Count Court Claim Form by Cabot Financial (UK) Limited, for a debt I previously had with an Egg credit card. The long and short of it so far has as follows:

I originally applied online for an Egg card about 10 years ago. I received the card and used it for many years without a problem. That was until about 4 years back, when I was made redundant (timing just before the recession hit did not help either!).

At first we used savings to keep everything in order, but after a while (about a year or just over) even those started drying up and so I approached all my creditors (with Income / Expenditure forms completed) to enquire about a reduced payment arrangement. Some creditors were good and some were bad with Egg being the worst, telling me that my options were to (i) carry on paying the monthly total, (ii) pay the full balance, or (iii) default and then deal with the outcome! As options (i) & (ii) where not possible at the time, I unfortunately chose to do nothing (hiding from it all is not really an option as I am now more clued up…L).

What happened next was that I received a letter of default by Egg, and 2 or 3 months later (if memory serves) a letter from Egg saying that they would be taking me to court. I braced for the oncoming and then nothing happened… Until a letter came through my letterbox about 1½ - 2 years ago from Cabot (their standard NoA on their letter-headed paper) advising that they had taken over the debt.

By that time, in the peak of the recession and due to the first default by Egg, I was finding it impossible to remortgage the house to pay other creditors and was getting more and more letters by various DCA’s, so thought that Cabot was yet another DCA acting on behalf of Egg (i.e., I was not fully clued up at the time that they had ‘bought’ my debt to Egg). Eventually they called me on the phone and asked that we arrange a small token payment. I agreed to this and all was fine for a while (with the odd missed payment admittedly).

Then back around February this year, I missed a payment (that is another story for another time) and their calls started again (have caller display at home). At the time I was simply not in the frame of mind (for the lack of a better expression to hand) to be able to deal with anything like and I assumed that they would just collect next month and all would be fine. But the calls carried on sporadically until on July 11th I received a letter from their legal department Morgan Solicitors (dated July 7th), telling me that the account was in default, asking me to contact them within one month to settle the account in full, or be taken to court. They specifically stated that “If we do not receive a response within one month of the date of this letter, legal proceedings will be issued against you without any further notice or warning to you”.

I did in fact contact them on the 21st and in our discussion I did quote that as I had been previously requested to make ANY offer possible to clear the debt, I was trying to raise a 50% figure (through family predominantly) to offer for F&F settlement. Their advisor stated that as it was now with the legal department, I either had to accept a monthly payment enough to clear the balance in 60 instalments, or they would be taking me to court. I said that I would have to look into this and she then advised that as I had contacted them, I now had another month (or 28 days) to look at whether the proposed monthly payment plan is feasible, or reply formally otherwise. This would have meant that I would be allowed until August 18th, before any Court action was taken by them, so I had enough time to see what I can do.

Surprise, surprise, on the 13th of the month I received (hand posted) a Northampton County Court Bulk Centre Claim Form, issued on the 10th of the month. For this to happen it obviously meant that they did not follow their own procedures and keep to their word and exactly a month after the original Morgan letter they applied at the Court. I did call the Court to query this and they advised that though I may be able to add this fact to my defence, there is no legal framework regarding such matters yet ratified, it is currently simply work in progress. As such, as far as the Court can see the Claimant can apply at any time and even with no notice (is this really the case?) to the Asignee!

The relevant Claim Form details are attached below:

The Date of Issue is 10 AUG 2011

The Particulars of Claim are the usual brief and perhaps vague details they offer:

“ The Claimant is the Assignee of a Debt(s) from Egg Banking Plc
    Egg Card reference 2xxxxxx, (note their own reference no, though the full Egg card no is stated in the Morgan letter alongside their own reference no?)
    Notice of Assignment having been given to the Defendant in writing. Despite demand for Payment, 6xxx.xx remains due. The Claimant claims 6xxx.xx and interest under the s.69 County Courts Act 1984 and costs. ”

The amounts mentioned are as follows:

Amount claimed: 6xxx.xx
    Court fee: 190.00
    Solicitor’s costs 100.00
    Total amount: 6xxx.xx

Whilst on this point, how is it and they can add costs and interest on a defaulted sum? Is this correct? And can also they really take what was an unsecured loan and turn it into one secured against assets like my property?

So, I now need your kind advice on where to go next. I believe that I have 14 days to reply (one way, or another) from the day of Service, which is 5 days from the day of issue of the Claim. This would mean I am allowed up to 10 + 5 + 14 = up to the 29th August at the latest (which I would assume can be done online)? Can you please confirm this assumption?

By the way, I have tried National Debt Line for assistance and their advice was (in not so many words) that I have to take it on the chin and have a CCJ, as the time for other action has lapsed now that they have applied at the Courts…? Apparently that is because I have made payments towards the debt, which means that in the least morally I have accepted the debt with Cabot!

Having now spent a few days looking at all of this, my thoughts on the morality issues are as follows:

For me to consider their moral rights, they also need to do likewise. Leaving aside the fact that I personally do not find morally correct that they prey on people in desperate need, they are also the ones that did not consider my moral rights as promised. Specifically, they promised me enough time to reply before being dragged to Court and then they lied and did otherwise.

I am now considering how to ask them to provide ALL the necessary proof to substantiate that the ARE the LEGAL owners of the alleged debt and that the said alleged debt is legally enforceable. As if they (as previously have also done in similar cases) do not hold the correct legal rights to the alleged debt, then they would be further proving that their moral stance is not quite spotless! Finally, as I was told by Morgan’s that the time to negotiate is now over and the next step would most likely be the Court, the Court of Law is not where cases should be judged on morality, but simply in accordance to the Law. And if they do not possess / cannot provide the correct documents when required and in the correct format, then the Law is clear, as the alleged debt would become unenforceable! Please advise if I am failing completely in my line of thought so far…?

I need your help please as to how to reply via the Northampton CCBC Claim Form. As you will have gathered, I am thinking that if I am really going to end up in Court, I will be going fighting and not simply lying down (famous last words!)… I mean what have I got to loose by asking them to further substantiate their claim?
    I have read up a lot over the last few days and I am now unsure what is best to do next. I believe I should be doing as follows next:

1. Submit the Acknowledgement of Service in the first instance, before the deadline of (is it Issue Date 10th August + 14 days, or Issue Date 10th August + 5 days to ‘Date of Service’ + 14 days) 24th / 29th of August (please advise). I assume I should also be selecting box ‘1. I intend to defend all of this claim’?
    At this point, it mentions that I may have 28 days from the date of service to prepare my defence (instead of 14), by sending the Acknowledgement of Service in. Do I need to do anything else to get the 28 day allowance enabled, please?
    2. Next I need to serve Cabot with an SAR, requesting original and legible copies of CCA, T&T’s, and …what else please…, alongside sending a £1 PO to cover their costs? Any idea if there is a template I can use and/or which may be the best template available please?
    3. Then sit and wait, as I need to allow 12 days for this to be completed and returned.
    4. If the resulting documentation does not arrive / is incomplete, I need to swiftly apply (on a certain form?) for the debt to be ruled unenforceable.

Am I missing something here please?

Perhaps I should also add here that given all that I have read so far in all the forums and given that Egg themselves threatened Court action (for a sum nearly the £7k mark) and did not follow through, given the Cabot advisors’ insistence that I make ANY offer to settle the account in full and finally given Morgan’s expediency with which they are trying to push this though (i.e., before I even get the chance to build an argument against them), my gut feeling is that they do not have all that they need…

…but, on the not so nice side… If by some chance they do come up with all the required information and documentation, will my stance be (ie, saying that until they prove their validity of claim I am not recognising it and neither does the Law - hmmm, even though I have made payments towards it as I thought I was paying Egg?) detrimental to what then happens after this point? And does anyone know what would actually happen in such a case?

One more question please. As this is going through the Bulk Centre, do I still get the chance to present myself? Or do I need to be asking that it is not dealt with through the Bulk Centre? Would there be additional cost implications there?

Sorry for the length of the post, but I hope I have captured most of it in the first instance…

ANY help and/or advice would be much appreciated, especially as the clock is ticking!

Kind regards
    Last edited by h197; 20th August 2011, 11:33:AM. Reason: Hide financial details
    Tags: None

Re: h197 - Cabot

Hello all

I have tried to put as much info in this as possible, which I hope is not putting people off..? I am assuming all members that could reply will not be online until later tonight (as it is Saturday morning after all), though if I could have some urgent help and advice with this (as I am starting to panick ref timelines and timelimits), it would be much appreciated...!

Many thanks in anticipation!

Comment

Hi h197

Sorry I can't help in this matter but I'm sure someone who can will be along soon to help you. I know it's not easy but try not to panic, you're in the best place for advice as these guys really know what they're talking about.

In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, have a read of this excellent thread.

Dealing with DCA's - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Comment

Hi Mrs James

thanks for the reply and for the link suggestion! I understand, this is volunteer run after all (?)...

It is just that I spent most of last night looking for and researching relevant data and I am now very tired, hence getting a bit more 'irritable and anxious' easier than I would normally...

Waiting is the game now!

Kind regards

Comment

Originally posted by h197 View Post
          Hi Mrs James

thanks for the reply and for the link suggestion! I understand, this is volunteer run after all (?)...

It is just that I spent most of last night looking for and researching relevant data and I am now very tired, hence getting a bit more 'irritable and anxious' easier than I would normally...

Waiting is the game now!

Kind regards

Many on here will know how you're feeling right now, but once someone knowledgeable talks you through it you'll feel so much better. You'll be in control, not Cabot and with people's help you'll be on your way to getting this sorted, and it can be sorted. So just hang in there.

Comment

Hi,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I am accutely aware of my limited knowledge of court procedures so am not going to try to suggest anything regarding that side of things. I will say, so you don't think you're being ignored, that the site tends to go very quiet at the weekend and so much of the best advice is not around until Monday. If you see your post dropping off the list of todays posts, just simply type a reply Bump and it will go straight to the top of the list again.

Right, back to the issue in question.....

1. Did you at any stage receive a Notice of Assignment from Egg or Cabot informing you that the debt had been sold to Cabot (it is called an Absolute Assignment). You should have done.

2.You state you missed a payment in February of this year. The next thing you say is you received a solicitors letter on July 11th. Were any payments made between these dates towards the debt? If so, were they full payments, part payments or what?

3. You need in my opinion, as a matter of urgency, to send a Subject Access Request to both Egg and Cabot asking for every piece of information held about you and this case. There is a template letter in the DCA section - if you can't find it, post up and I'll post an SAR letter up for you. You need access to all the information they hold about you. I believe that if you are awaiting information that might be used as evidence you can apply to the court for a delay in the hearing date in order that you not only have time to receive the information, but to go through it and analyse it for anything that may be used in your defence. One of the SAR's should produce a Notice of Assignment.

As above, I would say try to not worry - easy to say when it's not me it's happening to, I realise that, but worry will only build mountains out of molehills in your brain.

Let's also look at the very worst case scenario here as I believe it may help you. Worst case is they take you to court and get a CCJ against you. The judge then looks at your income and expenditure and orders an affordable repayment (which could very well be les than you were previously paying). A CCJ is not a criminal record, it disappears from your record after 6 years, and can be marked as settled if paid before 6 years has expired.This is I believe the worst thing that would happen.

If that is the case, then even if it happens, things are not too bad - it is not the end of the world and certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Sadly, moral arguments are well and good for those with morals, but if you're dealing with a company and people who make their money out of collecting these debts, a moral argument is going to hold no water.

Remember the worst case scenario - not the end of the world. A judge will not demand you pay more than you can afford.

I hope this has helped a bit and given you something constructive to do over the weekend. By Monday people will be back on here who know the court systems inside out and will be able to support you with that side of things.

If you have any further worries, just post them up.

Comment

Hi H197, Casper has covered all the bases with his reply to you, and your original post is excellent, all the relevant data is on the table. Can I just a add a few crumbs of comfort to you on all this.

firstly RELAX, They can sue your ass off, the question is where's the Judgment...?, I have been in exactly the same situation as yourselves 3 years back with EGG and Carter who was the henchmen for them. The matter then took 14 MONTHS! to get to a stage where it looked like it was going to trial, so these are the sorts of timescales you are looking at on this (assuming you defend). In my case we settled out of court for 25 pence/pound to close the matter. The CABOT dickheads are no different to any other legalised parasite, they can't rush the legal system, so you need to be on board with that fact. Please get the additional data that casper has asked about on the thread here and someone will cut in here to move this on for you.

Bri

Comment

Hello Caspar and Brian

Thank you both for the encouraging words and the advice offered. What should I be looking to do next then, given the timatables at hand?

I assume I still need to send off asap the Ackowledgement of Service to the Court, to indicate that I wish to dispute the issue. I believe that at that point I will be entitled to 28 days to raise my defense and that is 28 days from the Date of Service, meaning 5 days from the Date of issue (= Date of Service) and then 28 days from the Date of Service?

If so, I am then to send off an SAR to both Egg and Cabot? Why send to both please, as Cabot is the ones taking me to Court? Should I not just send off to Cabot and let them worry about getting the evidence sorted out, which hopefully they cannot? I also believe that I am then to allow them 12+2 days to produce the documents (not just reply) , from the date of post mark?

Is that all I need to do for now? Do I also need to call the Courts to give them an update, or anything else for that matter?

As for your questions Caspar:

1. Did you at any stage receive a Notice of Assignment from Egg or Cabot informing you that the debt had been sold to Cabot (it is called an Absolute Assignment). You should have done.

- I do not recall receiving a letter from Egg saying anything to that extend, though I do recall receiving the Cabot Welcome notes and their "NoA"

2.You state you missed a payment in February of this year. The next thing you say is you received a solicitors letter on July 11th. Were any payments made between these dates towards the debt? If so, were they full payments, part payments or what?

- Looking back, I believe not. At the time I assumed that they would be just claiming on furtger down on the next month, etc, but when I eventually spoke to their legal department, they advised that once a payment has failed they cannot restart it without my approval. I am unsure that this is what happened in the past, as I am sure they did restart the monthly payments in the past when I was late on other payments, but that is what they advised over the phone. Unfortunately I was at too dark a place in my mind at the time to even check if payments were made at all (can reply privately to this if required)

3. You need in my opinion, as a matter of urgency, to send a Subject Access Request to both Egg and Cabot asking for every piece of information held about you and this case. There is a template letter in the DCA section - if you can't find it, post up and I'll post an SAR letter up for you. You need access to all the information they hold about you. I believe that if you are awaiting information that might be used as evidence you can apply to the court for a delay in the hearing date in order that you not only have time to receive the information, but to go through it and analyse it for anything that may be used in your defence. One of the SAR's should produce a Notice of Assignment.

- I will repeat my question please; why do I need to send an SAR to both Egg and Cabot? Is that not more opportunity for things going wrong? As for the NoA, am I looking for the one that Cabot sends out as standrd (ie, welcome pack), or another one issued by Egg? Also, I was under the impression that the main point of this was to receive proof of CCA, or is getting an NoA copy more important? Moreover, do I do this first, or closer to the end period for when my defence is due? Also, does it make ANY difference that I have actually made some payments to Cabot so far? Does this mean that I have "morally" accepted a debt with them, although even this is a grey area (I thought I was paying Egg THROUGH them and in the end realised that they have actually BOUGHT my debt)?

Many thanks again for your advice and comments!

Comment

Just another thing I picked up on (though I am unsure it makes any difference?) is that Cabot are not talking about the original amount minus any payments I have already made, they are instead starting off with the balance. Is that an effort to imply that I have made NO payments so far...? Does it make any difference altogether?

HELP please...?

Comment

One more question that arises from other posts in numerous forums so far please: as the Claimants gets a copy of the Acknowledgement of Service from the Courts, they will have a copy of my signature on it (I have read that is to be avoided if at all possible), so do I have to sign the AoS, or can I leave the signature blank?

Many thanks in anticipation...

Comment

Timewise you are correct, you have 14 days from the date of service to enter your acknowledgement, which I see no issue in signing at all, (if you don't then it will likely be returned to you by the court) and once your acknowledgement is submitted your time to defend the claim extends to 28 days from the date of service. Send the AOS to the court, not the claimants.

Defending takes it out of the bulk centre and to your local court.

As well as the SAR, as they take the 40 days allowed by the DPA, you can ask for information under the Civil Procedure Rules, as they have referred to a consumer credit agreement, assignment etc you are perfectly entitled to request copies of those documents under the CPR (without any fee) from the claimants. I think, off the top of my head, it is a CPR 31.14 request for disclosure. Reasn being they should submit any documents to the court that they intend to rely on in their claim (egg agreement and assignment - possibly also default notice), when they enter the claim, but with the bulk centre this doesn't happen so you ask once you receive the claim. You should also ask for a full statement of account, and cc your request to the court.

CPR 31.14 here -->PART 31 - DISCLOSURE AND INSPECTION OF DOCUMENTS - Ministry of Justice

When it comes to your defence include any copies of letters and evidence of payments made, as well as your IE sheets etc - depending which was you decide to go. With a £6k claim they will most likely be looking for a forthwith judgment so they can get a charging order, so if you don't have a solid defence (and we don't know if you do or not before you get the documents), and not having a charging order is of importance to you, then you may be better placed making a straight off offer to pay based on your IE sheets to get an installment order rather than defending and getting a forthwith judgment and having to apply to vary it.
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hello Amethyst and thanks for your reply

Regards the timing, I have rang the Court and have now confirmed that I have 14 days from Date of Service (calculated as Date of Issue + 5) and once I send the Acknowledgement of Service I get another 14 days automatically (so total of 28 days) to put my defence forward.

Today I managed to speak to someone at CAB and they agree I should send of for CCA off Cabot, and they are putting me forward to see a debt specialist, hopefully before the deadline for putting my defence forward!

For now, I am getting somewhat conflicting advice on exactly what I should do next, but I think the following steps are probably about what I should be doing...?

Step 1: Late tomorrow I will be sending off by registered post a CCA request to Cabot, including a £1 PO (I am thinking of using a letter which is a mixture of many templates found on forums, so please read to see if any comments / suggestions can be made?)
                        ---
                        Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Account / Reference No xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Cabot Reference No xxxxxxx

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I hereby require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77(6) will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that a lawful assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention would thus be drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

Moreover, please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing and will expect all such communication to only be delivered to my address by means of a Royal Mail service. Should it be your intention to arrange a doorstep visit, please be advised that under OFT rules you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make such an appointment with you.

There is an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v Sheppard & Short Ltd [1959] 2 QB 384. per Lord Evershed M.R.).

Therefore please take note that I revoke such license under Common Law for you, or any of your representatives to visit me at my property and, if you do so, you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee for production of document(s) formally requested above and herein. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you are expected to confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, as well as returning the attached £1.00 fee.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully
                        Name printed
                        ---

NB-Can you please confirm what is the minimum time I need to offer them to reply? Is it 12 days, 12 working days, 12 + 2 days, or 12 + 2 working days?

Step 2: I will also send in a separate registered post envelope, a CPR 31.14 as you suggest to Cabot and an SAR request to Egg and see what comes back. The template I have found and intend to use for the SAR is as follows:

---
                        Dear Sir or Madam,

Re: (Claimant's name) v (Your name) Case No:
                        CPR 31.14 Request

On (date) I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of the (Name) county court.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest all of your claim.

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 the agreement* (/CCA)
                        You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2 the assignment* (NoA)

3 the default notice*

4 the termination notice*

5 [any other documents mentioned in the Particulars of Claim]*

* delete if not mentioned in the Particulars of claim.

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy.

Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15(c) I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request. (Therefore, the maximum statutory fee of £10 is enclosed. (-is this required, or do I let them invoice me?)

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request.

In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Name Printed
                        ---

NB-Again can you please categorically advise what is the minimum time I need to offer them to reply? I have seen 40 days limit mentioned, as well as 7 days, but I am unsure as to which is correct, if either?

Step 3: 1-2 days before the AoS submission deadline I will submit it online, so that NO signature will be attached for Cabot to attempt to copy (maybe paranoia is setting in, but too many posts are suggesting...)

Step 4: If nothing comes back in time with regards to the CCA request, then advise the court that the case is hence unenforceable. If something does turn up deal with it and submit an embarrassed defence!

Problem is that if SAR / CPR requests allow for 40 days, then I will definitely NOT be receiving any data in time to formulate a defence, so I will have to submit an embarrassed defence no matter what..? How can I ask for more time from the court, if the required information has not yet been supplied (assuming Egg / Cabot still have time to reply and have not exhausted the time allowed to them by law?)

Moreover, I am thinking that if I do have to defend the case then I have to argue that had Cabot followed their offer of allowing 28 days from the date I contacted them, before they proceeded to apply to Court, it would have allowed me more time to reply properly and possibly even have submitted an acceptable offer so that Court would NOT have been necessary, risking a CCJ against me and damaging my family's future!

Any thoughts and comments please?

PS Wow, it has taken about 2+hrs to put all this together!

Comment

You can see why many people just get court claims and think stuff it and wait for the courts to rubber stamp 'guilty' on them and order payment.

I think your plan is about right. The 40 days is for a full SAR - which would be worth sending as well as the CPR 31 request. The CPR should be giving them 7 days, if it is not back within a timescale for you to submit your defence you can apply for an extension to allow them to comply with the request. Submitting the AOS online at moneyclaim is a good idea.

Re the CCA request - I think you have included a bit too much in there, particularly considering the stage you are at with the debt, and a simple, formal request for the CCA would be better - and less likely to ring alarm bells and encourage them to get the big guns out for the claim. I'd think more of using the basic national debtline one - the one you have with the bits about doorstep visits and whatnot is a little OTT for the purpose you are using it for. At least I would cut it down to the below - not sure if you are sending it to Egg or Cabot though ? I'd send to Egg with the Egg card/ref number - plus as Cabot are doing the claiming it keeps it seperate and you are asking their sols for it anyway under the cpr.

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Account / Reference No xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Reference No xxxxxxx

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I hereby require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77(6) will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that a lawful assignment is of both rights and duties.

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee for production of document(s) formally requested above and herein. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you are expected to confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, as well as returning the attached £1.00 fee.

Yours faithfully
                          In the CPR letter make sure you delete anything not relevant (ie. take out the templated bits) - I think you should be asking for the agreement, the default notice and the assignment notice.

I also disagree with including this bit entirely
                          In accordance with CPR 31.15(c) I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request. (Therefore, the maximum statutory fee of £10 is enclosed.

The letter does sound a bit over templated to me and kind of telling them how to suck eggs but I guess it saves them querying it later.

So

1) AOS
                          2)CCA to EGG
                          3) CPR 31.14 to CABOT sols
                          4) FULL SAR under the DPA & £10 to Cabot (and/or Egg)

Re this
                          Moreover, I am thinking that if I do have to defend the case then I have to argue that had Cabot followed their offer of allowing 28 days from the date I contacted them, before they proceeded to apply to Court, it would have allowed me more time to reply properly and possibly even have submitted an acceptable offer so that Court would NOT have been necessary, risking a CCJ against me and damaging my family's future!

Was the hold for 28 days to make an offer in writing or just over the phone ? ie do you have evidence of the offer. You can include it in your defence either way, just helpful more if it is backed up.

Originally posted by h197 View Post
                          Hello Amethyst and thanks for your reply

Regards the timing, I have rang the Court and have now confirmed that I have 14 days from Date of Service (calculated as Date of Issue + 5) and once I send the Acknowledgement of Service I get another 14 days automatically (so total of 28 days) to put my defence forward.

Today I managed to speak to someone at CAB and they agree I should send of for CCA off Cabot, and they are putting me forward to see a debt specialist, hopefully before the deadline for putting my defence forward!

For now, I am getting somewhat conflicting advice on exactly what I should do next, but I think the following steps are probably about what I should be doing...?

Step 1: Late tomorrow I will be sending off by registered post a CCA request to Cabot, including a £1 PO (I am thinking of using a letter which is a mixture of many templates found on forums, so please read to see if any comments / suggestions can be made?)
                          ---
                          Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Account / Reference No xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Cabot Reference No xxxxxxx

Your attention would thus be drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

Moreover, please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing and will expect all such communication to only be delivered to my address by means of a Royal Mail service. Should it be your intention to arrange a doorstep visit, please be advised that under OFT rules you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make such an appointment with you.

There is an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v Sheppard & Short Ltd [1959] 2 QB 384. per Lord Evershed M.R.).

Therefore please take note that I revoke such license under Common Law for you, or any of your representatives to visit me at my property and, if you do so, you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully
                          Name printed
                          ---

NB-Can you please confirm what is the minimum time I need to offer them to reply? Is it 12 days, 12 working days, 12 + 2 days, or 12 + 2 working days?

Step 2: I will also send in a separate registered post envelope, a CPR 31.14 as you suggest to Cabot and an SAR request to Egg and see what comes back. The template I have found and intend to use for the SAR is as follows:

---
                          Dear Sir or Madam,

Re: (Claimant's name) v (Your name) Case No:
                          CPR 31.14 Request

On (date) I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of the (Name) county court.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest all of your claim.

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 the agreement* (/CCA)
                          You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2 the assignment* (NoA)

3 the default notice*

4 the termination notice*

5 [any other documents mentioned in the Particulars of Claim]*

* delete if not mentioned in the Particulars of claim.

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy.

Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15(c) I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request. (Therefore, the maximum statutory fee of £10 is enclosed. (-is this required, or do I let them invoice me?)

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request.

In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Name Printed
                          ---

NB-Again can you please categorically advise what is the minimum time I need to offer them to reply? I have seen 40 days limit mentioned, as well as 7 days, but I am unsure as to which is correct, if either?

Step 3: 1-2 days before the AoS submission deadline I will submit it online, so that NO signature will be attached for Cabot to attempt to copy (maybe paranoia is setting in, but too many posts are suggesting...)

Step 4: If nothing comes back in time with regards to the CCA request, then advise the court that the case is hence unenforceable. If something does turn up deal with it and submit an embarrassed defence!

Problem is that if SAR / CPR requests allow for 40 days, then I will definitely NOT be receiving any data in time to formulate a defence, so I will have to submit an embarrassed defence no matter what..? How can I ask for more time from the court, if the required information has not yet been supplied (assuming Egg / Cabot still have time to reply and have not exhausted the time allowed to them by law?)

PS Wow, it has taken about 2+hrs to put all this together!

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst

Thanks for the reply (though I am surprised you are still up and posting...:-)...)

Now with regards to your reply:

1. With regards to the CCA request, I think that sending off to Cabot maybe more appropriate, as a) I now believe that they claim to be the owners of the debt, b) they are the ones that are taking me to court and c) if they do really miss the correct paperwork, it should take them longer to pull it all together? I mean who is really responsible to provide it in such a case?
                            Moreover, I take your point about my suggested letter being OTT reference the door calling, but what I am trying to convey is that I do not want them calling at my door, even if it is to hand deliver additional documents! Posting it should be the way forward...! Any comments please as to how I may then add this in my letter to them?
                            Also, do I allow for 12 (or 12+2) days, or working days please?

2. With reference to the letter requesting the CPR, I will remove the noted paragraph and will forward as advised.

3. With regards to the SAR, a) is there a template I can use and b) if it arrives within 40 days (again days OR working days please?) it will not be here in time for my defence, so how do I deal with that please?

NB - I was originally thinking Cabot - CCA (12 days), CPR (7 days) and possibly SAR (40 days) and Egg CPR (7 days) and SAR (40 days)...your thoughts please?

One more thing I have noticed in other posts please, there seems to be a reason to argue that their claim is not prepared well enough, due to the length of detail included (something to do with the total amount of characters allowed and only a small portion of them utilised). Do you have any thoughts / comments on that please, or is it something I should leave for the defence (if it gets to that)?

Many thanks

Comment

Dear Amethyst

I have revisited my CCA letter, your relevant comments and an excellent related post by Curlyben within this site (Dealing with DCA's) and have now amended my CCA request letter as follows:

---
                              Dear Sir/Madam

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxx
                              YOUR REF: xxxx

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. As per your obligations under said Act, I hereby request you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account and a statement of account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit of 12 working days from the date of this letter. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77(6) will apply, as I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act, creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

Moreover, I am requesting that you supply a signed true copy of the executed deed of assignment for the above referenced agreement. This is your legal obligation as a Debt Collection Agency, under section 189 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, whether you are the original creditor or not.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

In summary and WITHOUT PREJUDICE, I do not acknowledge your claim regarding this debt and require you to substantiate your claim by providing the following documentation:

1. True copy of original signed executed credit agreement
                              2. FULL statement of account
                              3. Copy of the executed deed of assignment from Egg and Cabot
                              4. A fair processing notice

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

Further to the above, please ensure that any contact by yourselves is made in writing only to the above address. Telephone calls and personal visits will not be accepted and will be viewed as harassment / trespassing and relevant authorities may be notified.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter and I look forward to hearing from you in writing and within the statutory time limit.

Yours faithfully
                              ---

So, do you think this is a better letter to approach the issue at hand with?

Many thanks in anticipation
                              Last edited by h197; 23rd August 2011, 03:25:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X