• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Geezer V Cabot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geezer V Cabot

Hi,

I spent a bit of time looking through this site and found a wealth of info. Armed with this I approached Cabot about an alleged debt they are trying to collect.

Anyway, I sent off the CCA letter with the £1.00 PO to get things moving. They have been dragging their heels about supplying me with info on the account (I didn't know then that there are ways to get things moving so quickly - I've been battling them for 18 months)

2 days later - I get a reply from Cabot, returning my PO and saying they are not obligated to supply the info, but are sure they will be able to in due course.

Another couple of days and the 12 days will be up.

Are they just bluffing?

Cheers.

Re: Geezer V Cabot

Yep their doing their usual bluff, bluff, bluff. Carry on as planned, I will pop along sometime later and advise further if you get stuck.

Oh and welcome to the site.

Comment

This is their normal Bovine Excrement I'm afraid.
      Basically it means we don't/can't get your agreement, but we'll continue to demand payment for this unsubstantiated debt..

Comment

Hi,

Well Cabot finally got back to me.. about 18 months since my last letter to them.

Cabot are still not able to provide me with the original agreement etc, They say they are still waiting for the original lender to provide the details. 18 months since my CCA letter.

Anyway, they have also included a typed up sheet (which they refer to as my account statement) which shows I made a £1000 payment in Sept 2007 (which I did under duress, under threat of court action - if I had known then...)

They state this is proof enough the debt exists and I have acknowledged this as such.

Is this correct? Can they do this?

cheers,
        geezer..

Comment

Showing that the debt exists and is enforceable are two completely different things.

Without the actual agreement they are rather stuffed.
          So all in all, file under I and get on with your life

Comment

Threat-o-matic.

If you have requested the CCA and they have not provided it, they are in default and you are not obligated to pay them a penny until they do. Look in curlybens dealing with DCA thread for the letters to send them.

While paying an amount to the debt in 2007 means you acknowledged it, this just restarts the limitations act 6 year period from 2007. If you requested the CCA under s77/78/79 and they are not providing one, put them under notice they are in default and until they provide the CCA and substantiate their claims, that you are not obliged to pay them a penny. They cant take you to court without a signed CCA. Id also advise ensuring you dont speak to them on the phone. a polite 'please write to me only *hangup*' when they inevitably keep calling.
            Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Negative, I am a meat popsicle

Comment

TBH, there's NO response to send them.
              Why poke the idiots when you don't need to

They are well aware of their lawful obligations, so sit back and wait for them to make real demands, ie court threats.

Comment

lol true enough. I just prefer to make it look like I have been trying to resolve things incase it ever does get to court, I have a paper trail a mile long
                Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the quick feedback.

So, unfortunately I have reset the clock and they have another 3 yrs to attempt to get this collected?

Will I be able to get my £1000 back at some point I wonder..

cheers,
                  geezer..

Comment

Yes you have reset the limitations clock, you actually do that every time you acknowledge a debt. If they call you up and talk to you about the debt without you categorically denying it is yours, or offering payment or even saying 'i cant pay' then the clock restarts again as you have acknowledged it..

Getting the 1000 back? unlikely. Id imagine you would have to go to court, prove to the court the debt is not yours and that you paid the 1000 under duress and threat. CB is your best man for this question I think.

Comment

Honestly getting the cash back, I have more chance of becoming Pope AND winning Miss World in the same week.

Write it off to experience.

Comment

Well you have my vote for miss world

Comment

Hi everyone, when I am inundated with calls, most of the time they ring with a 0845 or a similar number to that. I have stopped answering their calls as if I do then they will aknowledge that the debt is mine!!! Regardless of if it is not! I have been with MBNA for 6 years now and still owe a debt of 453 when my borrowing amount is only 200. Their customer service has been rude and unprofessional. I had a limit of 2500 and spent it and also paid this back within a month, they called me and rudely asked where i got this money from? They gave me the money, its my money to spent and they got it back so i dont know what their problem was apart from not making any money!! Hence why they then reduced my credit limit to 200 without notifying me. So I took the 200 out the caspoint and have never contacted then since or repayed them! After looking at this website I have now placed a PPI claim with MBNA and am still awaiting a response. Has anyone any idea's if this will work and they will clear my debt????????? I do owe the 200 pounds and I have every intention to repay this.

Comment

Hi Folks,

It's been a while and Cabot have decided to have another go. Just got a letter stating they have now fulfilled their obligation to supply the information I requested so are now pressing ahead with collection and warn me that the next step may be to obtain a CCJ as they can now enforce the credit agreement.

The credit agreement they have sent me says it is a "reconstituted true copy of credit agreement"

This looks like a photocopied copy of "an" agreement with my name put in (I noticed in the document my name appears twice in different formats, once with my middle initial and once without)

But there is no signature or date on this "copy"

Any advice on what to do next - they say I have 14 days to respond with a view to settling the account.

Cheers,
                            geezer..

Comment

Any terms and conditions sent with that agreement?

Also do they own the debt, and did you ever receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?
                              Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X