• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot/Mortimer Clarke

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot/Mortimer Clarke

Good evening,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I am after a bit of advice with a claim that Mortimer clarke sent on a HSBC account I did not recall having.

Received a claim? Yes/No: Yes
    Issue Date: 04/08/2024
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes
    Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000) £1800
    Claimant’s Name: Cabot Financial (UK) limited
    Solicitors Firm: Mortimer Clarke
    Original Creditor: HSBC
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : Credit card
    Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
    Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): Last payment was December 2017, I am not sure if the debt could be considered Statued barred now that the last contact was over 6 years ago but the claim was done in August of last year. Reply has not been received until now 7 months later.
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): I did a request in my defense but I have only received these incomplete documents now
    Any Other Information or Background Details: I already defended the claim in full within the stipulated timeframe. I have just received today (14/03/24) a reply from Mortimer Clarke stating that they do not have the original CCA and attaching a "reconstituted" agreement, saying they are not under obligation to provide the original signed by me. Last payment on the account was made Dec 17, could this be considered statued barred even though claim was made within the 6 years limit?

I need some advice on what steps I should follow next.

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Hi ANGAR

Welcome to LB

Issue Date: 04/08/2024 ? That's wrong.

Particulars of Claim: That's missing.

a) What you need to do is Acknowledge the claim online, that will give you an extra 14 days to work on you defence, so that 28 days in total, plus 5 days post - You say you did this.

b) Send Cabot a CCA request for your account, they have 12 days to provide you with a copy of your original agreements. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...etter-example/

c) Send Mortimer Clarke a CPR 31.14 Request, they have 7 days to provide documents they are relying to make the claim. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-of-documents/

d) Send HSBC a SAR for the account, they have 30 days to provide all the details on the account. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Make sure you get your defence in on time, so 28 days from the date of the claim letter, note it in your diary,
    if you want the Defence checked post 5 days before it's due.

e) This is an example defence, amend it carefully to suit the current situation, wait nearer the day your Defence is due (to see what documents you receive). Send a copy to the Court and their solicitors, make sure you get Proof of Postage for both.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

Comment

Did you receive anything from the court after you submitted your defence- for example to say it was stayed?

As the claim was issued within 6 years of the last payment it is unlikely to be SB if you are in England and Wales.

You say you do not recall having it- so how do you know when the last payment was made. HSBC do many cards for example M&S or the old John Lewis _ well judging by the apps

Comment

Originally posted by Matty B View Post
        Did you receive anything from the court after you submitted your defence- for example to say it was stayed?

As the claim was issued within 6 years of the last payment it is unlikely to be SB if you are in England and Wales.

You say you do not recall having it- so how do you know when the last payment was made. HSBC do many cards for example M&S or the old John Lewis _ well judging by the apps

I received an acknowledgement of my defence and was advised it will be stayed after 28 days if no reply was received from MC. That was months ago.

A few days ago, I received an email from MC with loads of papers, one of them is a statement, which shows when the last payment was made, hence knowing that, but I still cannot recall having this card, is not a store card and all the information about me and my address at the time is correct, but no CCA was provided as they said they do not have to do this. I am really not sure what to do.

Comment

When was the account opened?

Have a go at the example defence, copy and paste back to this thread without personal details, we can take a look.

e) This is an example defence, amend it carefully to suit the current situation, wait nearer the day your Defence is due (to see what documents you receive). Send a copy to the Court and their solicitors, make sure you get Proof of Postage for both.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Have a go at the example defence, copy and paste back to this thread without personal details, we can take a look.

But wasn't the defence already submitted months ago?

If Anagram wants to amend it there will be a cost involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Matty B View Post

But wasn't the defence already submitted months ago?

If Anagram wants to amend it there will be a cost involved.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

It was issued on the 4th August 2023 and defence was submitted 18th August. Mortimer Clarke/Cabot was notified on the 24th August and only got a reply on the 13th March 2024 via email, saying that my defence does not sustain and they will ask for a lift of the stay

Comment

I don't believe it's statute barred.
                  You need to go through the documents you've received and look for anomalies.

Comment

Hi there, that sounds like a frustrating situation with the HSBC claim. Here's what I can offer:
                    1. Statute Barred Potential: You're right, the last payment in December 2017 might make the debt statute barred. Even though the claim came in last year, it's the last payment that matters.
                    2. Incomplete Documents & Next Steps: It's a red flag that they sent a "reconstituted" agreement instead of the original CCA. Since you defended the claim already, consider:
                      • Respond to Mortimer Clarke: Write back, clearly stating you believe the debt is statute barred due to the last payment being over 6 years ago. Mention you've received an incomplete response and request the original signed CCA.
                      • Free Debt Advice: Citizens Advice offers free guidance on debt issues. They can help you draft a response and give specific advice on your situation: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/.
                    3. Hold off on Further Payment: Don't make any payments until you get proper advice or resolve the statute-barred question.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X