• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial / Mortimer Clarke Solicitors Claim Form Received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Financial / Mortimer Clarke Solicitors Claim Form Received

Hello,

I am writing on behalf of my partner who has received a claim form from Cabot/Mortimer Clark Solicitors in respect of an old catalogue debt to Simply Be / JD Williams.

She contacted Mortimer Clarke today to see what the options were, they asked if she wanted to make a settlement offer, which she did at 50%, but it was immediately rejected. They have basically offered to accept approx £50 less than the claim amount.

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 19 JAN 2024
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: NO
    Total Amount Claimed : £2500
    Claimant’s Name: CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) LIMITED
    Solicitors Firm: MORTIMER CLARK SOLICITORS
    Original Creditor: JD WILLIAMS / SIMPLY BE
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : MAIL ORDER/CATALOGUE
    Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ): BY AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN JD WILLIAMS RE SIMPLY BE & THE DEFENDANT DATED 29.09.2019 (THE AGREEMENT) JD WILLIAMS RE SIMPLY BE AGREED TO ISSUE THE DEFENDANT WITH A CREDIT ACCOUNT. THE DEFENDANT FAILED TO MAKE THE MINIMUM PAYMENTS DUE. THE AGREEMENT WAS TERMINATED FOLLOWING THE SERVING OF A DEFAULT NOTICE. THE AGREEMENT WAS ASSIGNED TO THE NAMED CLAIMANT. CABOT CREDIT MANAGEMENT GROUP LIMITED, ACTING AS SERVICING AGENT OF THE NAMED CLAIMANT THROUGH ITS APPOINTED REPRESENTATIVE (CABOT FINANCIAL (EUROPE) LIMITED), HAS ARRANGED FOR THESE PROCEEDINGS TO BE ISSUED IN THE NAME OF THE CLAIMANT. THE NAMED CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 1. TOTAL AMOUNT 2, COSTS
    Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): NOT STATUTE BARRED.
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): NONE

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Hi TickTockDanz

Welcome to LB

A) You need to acknowledge service of the claim, this can be done on MCOL website, (deny all) this gives you an extra 14 days to file your defence, so that's 14 + 14 = 28 days to file your Defence (you get 5 days for postage).

B) Send a 31.14 request to Mortimer Clarke to address on the claim form, they have 7 days to respond after receipt of letter. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-of-documents/

C) Send a CCA request to Cabot Financial, they have 12 days to provide a copy of the agreement, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...etter-example/

D) Send a SAR to JD WILLIAMS / SIMPLY BE, they have 30 days to provide all the data on the account, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

You need to lodge your Defence with the Court and Mortimer Clarke within 28 days (although you have 5 days for postal). Do not forget, make a note in your diary. Update the thread when you get the requested information. We can help with your defence.

Don't speak to them over the phone. Depending on what documents they send, Mediation maybe an option. Remember a Court will only ask you to pay what you can afford, this is a non priority debt.

Comment

Thanks ECHAT11 for your quick response.

I'll get on with these and update once I get the requested information.

Obviously, the SAR from JD Williams will go beyond the defence date.

Comment

Originally posted by ticktockdanz View Post
        Thanks ECHAT11 for your quick response.

I'll get on with these and update once I get the requested information.

Obviously, the SAR from JD Williams will go beyond the defence date.
        Yes it might, although they have 30 days, it might be shorter or longer.
        But information is always 'valuable'. You don't need it to file your Defence.

Comment

Thank you. She is panicking like hell and was very frustrated at their lack of willingness to enter into discussions on a full and final settlement figure. She doesn't deny the debt but MCS are of the current stance of full payment or CCJ, they say they have no way of stopping the process. I don't believe this response as they could simply put it on hold?

Comment

Thank you. She is panicking like hell and was very frustrated at their lack of willingness to enter into discussions on a full and final settlement figure. She doesn't deny the debt but MCS are of the current stance of full payment or CCJ, they say they have no way of stopping the process. I don't believe this response as they could simply put it on hold?
            Tell your partner to stay calm.

They've started proceedings, so they need to be dealt with.
            Even though they have started proceedings, the Court encourages the parties to 'settle' the matter. What you can do is fill in an Income and Expenditure form, taking into the 'cost of living', energy, food etc.So if you are left with £5, after you've filled in the I/E form then that is all you can offer. Send that with a covering letter to MCS.

On the letter write 'Without Prejudice', so it can't be used in the case, but after the
            Hearing you can show the Court that you tried to settle the claim, but MCS rejected your monthly payment offer. The Court will ask you to fill in an I/E form, you will provide the Court with the same information.

Comment

Thank you again. Do you have a link for a reccomended I/E form?

Comment

Thank you again. Do you have a link for a reccomended I/E form?
                https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X