• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot claim a CCJ in place - Call their bluff?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DE DOGS View Post

Mike if you look back on previous reports, there are members who have lived at the same address and still get a CCJ

The question was have they moved in the last few years, not if/buts/

Comment

Happy New Year Beagles!

So, my initial SAR to Cabot is about 3 days away from them technically defaulting on providing the information. Since posting it, I've not made any contact with them, and my plan was to email them to remind them of the deadline as a "courtesy" with a couple of days remaining - however other than their Complaints email address, I couldn't find a service email and I'm reluctant to fill in anything on their website!

So, shall I just sit out the last few days then email their Complaints line? Should I just go straight to ICO? Should I write them again at the end of the week? I got proof of delivery on 6th Dec, so I reckon nothing by Saturday 8th would be about right?

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post

The question was have they moved in the last few years, not if/buts/

I wonder if contacting the Court would get the answer ?. My guess is they apply for the summons once granted then amend it ?.

Comment

UPDATE(s)

Cabot's time is up on the SAR. I gave them an extra week due to the public holidays within the period, and as I made no further encouragement in the meantime, I've given them a 7 day ultimatum , also by First Class Signed For - after that, the ICO get nudged.

By purely coincidental timing I'm sure, I received a letter yesterday from MC (even if it was backdated a week To Friday 7th - I always date mine within 2 days of posting at the worst, and 6 days from send to deliver for an important letter seems quite lacksadaisical, especially with a 14 day deadline) that has a slightly more affirmative tone but STILL cites no CCJ reference.It also included a form for me to fill in my income and expenses, which I take it would usually be a pre-cursor to a Letter Before Action? I'm not filling it in or giving them any response as yet.

FYI: I have now paid for 3 searches on the Land Registry of previous addresses - my current address has no info available. The only one with a charge against it is due to an equity release that has nothing to do with me. So, nothing applied correctly, if at all!

Docs in and out below. Happy to accept any critique or advice for the Next Round.

Attached Files

Comment

Your postcode is shewing...suggest you remove your letter

As you don't have a property, how are they going to obtain an order for sale?
            One last letter telling them you have no details of any CCJ, and they need to tell you what, when and where.
            End with a PS that if they don't comply they had better try and obtain an order for sale, and you wish them the best of luck!

or just ignore them until and if they try court

And complaint to ICO

At least that's what I would do

Comment

That's Cabot's postcode, not mine

Comment

Update:

Received in post from Cabot on Saturday (my ultimatum for an ICO complaint) a letter that they have received my SAR - the Second copy I sent with the warning, not the initial one from the beginning of December! Both were sent Signed For, tracked as Delivered. The only debatable issue is the signature entered by the postie on delivery. The second states "Cabot", the first appears to be a random string of capital letters (possibly a typo by the postie on their screen?) yet both are signed off.

So, now Cabot want proof of ID before the calendar month cycle starts which is fine, but do you all think I should proceed with a complaint to ICO as well on the strength of the tracking confirmation?

Either way, I expect our friends at Morty Clarke will be dropping the next pile of doodoo on my doorstep this week.

Comment

I would continue with the complaint to ICO

I find it odd that after sending you a letter stating "A County Court Judgment (CCJ) has been obtained on this account, which we have enforced with a Charging Order. We attempted in the past to speak to you, but you have failed to get in contact to repay." they suddenly need proof of identity!

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                    I would continue with the complaint to ICO

I find it odd that after sending you a letter stating "A County Court Judgment (CCJ) has been obtained on this account, which we have enforced with a Charging Order. We attempted in the past to speak to you, but you have failed to get in contact to repay." they suddenly need proof of identity!
                    As I haven't contacted them before the SAR, it would be considered due diligence - can't dispute that, and it's all part of the SAR request as handing out personal data without proof of person is generally considered a no-no. It may also why they've been elusive on the CCJ details?

Also, their response included an email address I can use! Woohoo!

It also included TWO different ref numbers - one being from their "claim" on the former letters, the other being a new one which I assume is specific to the SAR.I won't be using the first ref on the grounds that I'm not acknowledging their claim and the SAR is legally its own entity and thus shouldn't be tied to it.

Anyway, my next steps are:

Email scans of the relevant ID proofs - if they demand them in physical copy, they can just print them out themselves I'd think? Postal copies will follow if they get funny about it. I'll be insisting on a response by email during this week to confirm if the scans are acceptable or not. Waiting for the exact same thing but printed on a piece of A4 would seem an unnecessary delay to me.

Note in the email the ICO complaints procedure has been activated on the basis of an unsatifactory explanation due to my evidence of postage and delivery.

If nothing else, it might expedite their reply.

Then wait (again). I anticipate Morty are gonna start turning the screws on whilst Cabot dither and delay to leave me half-blind.

In the meantime, a query to all you folks re: Charging Orders on Property:

If a property was sold legitimately by the bank holding the mortgage (and thus the titles and deeds) to clear owings to them before the charging order came into being, would it still appear on the Land Registry? This may be why I can't find a charge against the property from all those years ago, as I would have already been (in my mind) removed of any ownership. In which case, the CCJ would be valid but practically unsearchable without historical knowledge of it being granted, whilst the charging order would be null and void due to the object of the charge already being disposed of.

Comment

If the charging order could not be registered because the debtor no longer had an interest in the property I imagine the creditor would have been informed.
                      The County Court Judgment would still exist, as would the debt, but after 6 years is unenforceable without permission from the Court.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                        If the charging order could not be registered because the debtor no longer had an interest in the property I imagine the creditor would have been informed.
                        The County Court Judgment would still exist, as would the debt, but after 6 years is unenforceable without permission from the Court.
                        Yeah, but it may explain why my Land Registry searches turned up Zilch. Charging order existed, but got pre-empted. In which case, there's just that ghostly CCJ hovering waiting for a target.

Anyway, proofs fired off, along with notice of ICO complaint being filed. I stopped just short of asking them to get Morty Clarke to back off until it was sorted, but I can do that myself if needs be. On to the next chapter!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinfish View Post

there's just that ghostly CCJ hovering waiting for a target.

!
                          but the chances of the Court giving permission to fire it off are slim!

Comment

Another wall of security to break through before getting a proper response by email, le sigh but not unreasonable. I hope they pay particular attention to the caveat I included only to talk about what I want to talk about, and not their claims, Fight Club etc.

Comment

Developments.

ID acknowledged by post today (Friday), SAR response to follow. ID was emailed on Sunday, got a "please confirm your ID" email on Monday, then no response to that after sending the details they required.

Complaints section emailed me today (Friday) about the SAR response issue.

Keeping it brief as I don't want to compromise anything. However, would it have taken much effort to email back in advance of the postal copy if the proofs of ID sent were accepted?

Still expecting a frightener from MC to drop on my doorstep tomorrow whilst all this plays out.

Comment

Hello Hive Mind, it's been a while... and like buses, everything has happened in fairly quick order!

Morty sent a letter a little while ago about how they have failed to contact me (i.e. I blanked them whilst awaiting the eventual SAR etc), and that they will ask their client to decide what action to take. Good for me, as it stalled any developments until....

SAR was due (for the second time), so I sent a reminder - and WHAT A SURPRISE everything came through 24 hours later! I've also been offered some compensation for their failure to act on my first sending - ironic, and also unsure whether to accept money from someone chasing a greater sum. I guess technically the issues are remote from each other and it wouldn't have a legal impact? I could also pursue the complaint further via ICO and FOS, but as they've now satisfied the request and offered compo, I think that wouldn't be of much help to anyone.

So, now I have more clues about what has happened in the meantime, including info about that elusive CCJ (albeit buried in a bunch of other data), which the original lender obtained over 12 years ago, with a charging order placed 2 years later (almost 12 years ago). I guess that hasn't appeared anywhere on the Land Reg due to the original property being sold by the mortgage vendor prior to it being obtained.

So, in summary:

CCJ and (fairly redundant) Charging order over a decade ago, but not mentioned by Cabot until they had a scent to chase in later letters. I've only bitten as far as getting my info out of them and the SAR complaint.

So.... What Next? I've still not (to the best of my knowledge) actually acknowledged the debt directly - although their references have been used in some comms about the SAR and complaint purely to keep the conversation chain from breaking. Naturally they keep mentioning "the account we hold in Your name", but I've not directly acknowledged that.

I don't think a Defence would be successful against the CCJ based on the information I have now to hand, even though my lack of prior knowledge of it could open this route.

So, should I continue to sit on my hands and force them to assess their risks in further pursuit? Worth taking into consideration: they also had another lesser account in my name, with they sharply off-loaded at the same time as they accepted my SAR - probably as it had no CCJ for them to potentially exploit, and thus falls outside the Statute Bar timeframe.

It appears my choices are limited to letting them work the risks out and seeing if they think they'll get lucky, or capitulating with their demands in some way or form :/ I don't particularly like the idea of leaving my future life financial circumstances in the hands of the credit version of ambulance chasers, but I also don't want to spend most of my mental currency on courts or hostage negotiations, either.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X