• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dismissed Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dismissed Claim

Hello,

Back in 2017 I was successful in having a rather large claim by Restons 'Dismissed'.

The Order states:

1. The claim be dismissed
    2. There be no Order as to costs

My understanding was that this was the end of the matter. There was no appeal (not sure they could have with a dismissal?) But either way I have not heard anything for two years. Until this morning when a card came through my door from 'Resolvecall' - I called and asked what it was about and they said CABOT (Prev Marlin?) had tasked them to get in touch with me to facilitate them talking to me about the same claim??? Resolvecall said until I allow them to put me through to CABOT they will continue to send people to my home.

I suggested they don't and if they do I will immediate;y call the police as I consider it harassment - especially given the matter was dealt with.

My questions are obvious:

1. I thought dismissed meant they cannot bring back a case already dealt with?
    2. How can I stop them visiting my home again?

Thank in advance!

Tony
    Tags: None

Unfortunately you will just have to ignore it all.

The Financial Ombudsman Service will not stop them writing letters for a debt that CABOT feel is valid.

Cabot can start proceedings again but need a bloody good reason to do so.

However, if they visit your home it is another matter. That would be harassment & you can report that to the police.

I looked into this & dealt with it via the FOS but Asset Collections were the culprit. You are just wasting your time doing anything at the moment.

Just keep the letters & do not bother to contact them unless you get a brown envelope from the court.

Comment

Write to Cabot and tell them the claim was dismissed ( give them claim number and date and whether it was dismissed at hearing etc ) and to call off Resolve-call, that you consider it harassment and that if they continue you shall consider making a complaint to the FOS and/or taking legal action against them.

Why was the claim dismissed?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Write to Cabot and tell them the claim was dismissed ( give them claim number and date and whether it was dismissed at hearing etc ) and to call off Resolve-call, that you consider it harassment and that if they continue you shall consider making a complaint to the FOS and/or taking legal action against them.
        Ok send one letter. But why carry on? It's just best to ignore & get on with your life. The FOS will not do anything about it & I have that in black & white on headed paper from the FOS as a final decision.

Companies are legally allowed to chase debt that they feel is valid regardless of a dismissal.

Turning up at someones house is another matter.

Comment

oops! Two contradictory bits of advice.

One write...the other don't wrote!

Also GBExile I was under the impression that they cannot bring is back if its dismissed....set aside maybe but not dismissed???

Comment

Originally posted by GBExile View Post

Ok send one letter. But why carry on? It's just best to ignore & get on with your life. The FOS will not do anything about it & I have that in black & white on headed paper from the FOS as a final decision.

Companies are legally allowed to chase debt that they feel is valid regardless of a dismissal.

Turning up at someones house is another matter.
            Letters I can deal with, blocking number I can do, But working from home as and having random people knocking on the door is another thing altogether,.

What can I do to stop that in its tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by myotai View Post
              oops! Two contradictory bits of advice.

One write...the other don't wrote!

Also GBExile I was under the impression that they cannot bring is back if its dismissed....set aside maybe but not dismissed???
              They can launch action again. They are supposed to ask the court for permission & give a good excuse. But a good excuse would be something like more evidence available. IE a form now available that was not available at the time or a semi-admission by you calling them up.

Don't call them. Writing only & I suggest you do what Amethyst says & write ONE letter to satisfy yourself but I wouldn't bother. Just ignore it all & get on with your life. They are just letters & you are getting sucked in again.

Oh & the FOS will do nothing. That is a promise.

You are not going to get people knocking on your door without a CCJ.

Comment

GBExile someone who was dealing with Asset/TM got an ombudsman ruling and compensation - I've just posted the letter on another thread. I'll fill in gaps later xx

Cabot send stuff to Resolvecall without much care/thought/diligence so unless you tell them to take it back and cease contact they don't know that resolvecall have it and are making pests of themselves. Resolvecall care not - their only job is to broker contact between Cabot and a 'debtor'. If there's only the debt that was dealt with by court and Cabot ( via Restons) lost the case you have nothing to fear by contacting them to tell them such.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

They can launch action again. They are supposed to ask the court for permission & give a good excuse
                  Hmm...thanks, but it seems my understanding is not what I thought it was!! My solicitor said that they had a period of time within which they could appeal/re-claim (like 30 days or something similar) but the difference between other judgements and a dismissal was the latter means the matter is done! No?

I am really confused now.

But they did knock, thats my point

Comment

You write to them and remove right of access to your property

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      GBExile someone who was dealing with Asset/TM got an ombudsman ruling and compensation - I've just posted the letter on another thread. I'll fill in gaps later xx

Cabot send stuff to Resolvecall without much care/thought/diligence so unless you tell them to take it back and cease contact they don't know that resolvecall have it and are making pests of themselves. Resolvecall care not - their only job is to broker contact between Cabot and a 'debtor'. If there's only the debt that was dealt with by court and Cabot ( via Restons) lost the case you have nothing to fear by contacting them to tell them such.
                      Filled gaps welcomed because Asset/TM got cart blanche authority by the FOS to continue with their actions.

Comment

Originally posted by myotai View Post
                        But they did knock, thats my point
                        They are not allowed to continue with their behaviour by knocking at your door. Totally unlawful.

Comment

Does anyone have a template I could access that would facilitate in
                          1. Updating CABOT with the fact that the case was heard and dismissed
                          2. Request the inform Resolvecall to cease any house calls

Very much appreciated thanks!

M

Comment

<bump!>

Sorry, I have looked but can't find anything that I can legally quote to CABOT to ensure they stop Resolvecall from knocking on my door again.

If someone can advise I'd really appreciate it.

M...

Comment

Dear Sirs

Your visits to my property are both unwelcome and distressing. I do not wish to discuss any matters with your agents on my doorstep.

Should your agents continue to attend my home they will be treated as trespassers and removed accordingly, with reasonable force if necessary or with the police attendance. Further, any such visits will be noted and will be made subject to an application to the Court under s140A Consumer Credit Act 1974 on the basis that they amount to harassment, and therefore an unfair relationship. Should you be unsure of the legal position on this point i refer you to Harrison v Link Financial Limited which confirms that s140A CCA does extend to harassment.

Something like that should do the trick all you need to tell them really is to Friar Tuck Off
                              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X