• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot refunds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot refunds

Hello, I received a letter last week from Cabot saying that I’m owned a refund as they didn’t collect an old debt correctly so they now want to give me £276, the reference looks familiar an old HFC debt that I paid a charging order on and it’s paid in full, it also shows the outstanding balance as £0.00 but I’m just a bit suspicious, they give me the option to either text with my details or fill in the bottom of letter and return to them to be paid either by BACS or cheque, what do u think too good to be true.
    cheers
    Dave
    Tags: None

Hmmmm interesting - can you do a pic of the letter. It's about time HFC debts and the way they were collected got sorted out - I had a charging order from an HFC debt back in 2006 - via Restons. There were masses of collection charges added ( around 18% as I recall ) which I defended but many people didn't so it could be that ( which would be huge if it is that ) - no explanation from Cabot at all what the refund is for ? How much was the debt originally do you remember ?

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Quick smooch and others have had similar but can't see any definitive reason - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com....php?t=5757744

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com....php?t=5674931

( they say 16.4% as collection charge which sounds about right )

also this https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...ollection/amp/
      but seems very slow if you've just got a letter about it
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hi AMETHYST
        thanks for the reply I will post up a pic of the letter sometime today, I’m just a bit weary that they’re not trying to entrap me in anyway, as I said the debt was paid in full a long time ago and from memory the total I got charged with the charging order was close to £1700 I think, you just can’t be too careful with these people though can you, I was thinking they may be making the letters look as sus as possible so that people throw it away as a scam, crazy paranoia eh, I did email them yesterday but I’m not holding my breath for a reply.
        Cheers
        Dave

Comment

Entirely understandable - it's not often a debt collector offers to give you money, so my cynical warning lights would be flashing all over the shop too.... however, as this was paid off a long while back, and others have had similar, and Cabot are actually okay ( not con men) .... you're likely absolutely fine to send the form/text them.

Be interesting to see how the amount offered was calculated and whether any interest has been added from when you'd paid it off, being as it should never have been there in the first place.

#staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi AMETHYST
            Ive just got off the phone with Cabot and spoke to a very pleasant Karen who assured me this was all above board and legit so a cheque is being sent out, she said a collection charge was levied on the account that was too high so I was overcharged and they now have to pay back, so a nice surprise all in all, cheers for taking the time to reply to me and hopefully others now may feel a little more comfy replying to them.

Comment

Lovely. It is good these Collection charges are finally being repaid to people, they were never fair. They do seem to be taking their time to get these paid out.... some of them will be quite a large amount so I do hope that statutory interest is being added to compensate.

Enjoy your £276 xxx

PARTICULARS a/c no - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

DATE.........ITEM........ ..........VALUE
              10/08/06 Default Balance .........£6058.41
              10/08/06. Collection Charge........£1009.93
              Post Refrl Cr ...........NIL

TOTAL: - £7068.34
              That was mine ( I got it removed before they got the CCJ and charging order after a bit of a battle ... so no refund heading my way unfortuntely lol )
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Wow is that collection charge is crazy a refund on that would of been nice, and yes interest being paid at 8% Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by DAVEB71 View Post
                  Hi AMETHYST
                  Ive just got off the phone with Cabot and spoke to a very pleasant Karen who assured me this was all above board and legit so a cheque is being sent out, she said a collection charge was levied on the account that was too high so I was overcharged and they now have to pay back, so a nice surprise all in all, cheers for taking the time to reply to me and hopefully others now may feel a little more comfy replying to them.
                  They have also offered me a refund but it looks like a scam. I have checked my account and it appears HFC have a judgement against them for adding false terms and conditions to the agreement that you have signed. They have now offered me 750 pounds but looks like the whole contract is unenforceable as my terms do not go with my agreement so looks like I am due a 9000 refund.

Comment

HFC don't have a judgment against Cabot. Have they got a judgment against you ? And was a collection charge part of it ? The collection charge would be refunded ( that would be about 16.3% of the debt that they were claiming ).
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      HFC don't have a judgment against Cabot. Have they got a judgment against you ? And was a collection charge part of it ? The collection charge would be refunded ( that would be about 16.3% of the debt that they were claiming ).
                      Have an old HFC credit card that ended up with a Tomlin order in the name of Pheonix recoveries uk sarl but nothing at all to do with Cabot. Payments have never been sent to Cabot only to HSBC. Now looking to revisit the Tomlin order which was originall handled by Weightmans.

Comment

Weightmans were in the middle of this 16.3% malarkey- as were Reston's. The claims were usually from HFC tho - is your judgment and Tomlin order in phoenixs name or HFC ? ( agreed with weightmans ). How much was your Tomlin for ? You could, depending on the terms of the Tomlin, breach it and let it go back to court to defend it .... have you got a copy of the Tomlin still ?
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                          Weightmans were in the middle of this 16.3% malarkey- as were Reston's. The claims were usually from HFC tho - is your judgment and Tomlin order in phoenixs name or HFC ? ( agreed with weightmans ). How much was your Tomlin for ? You could, depending on the terms of the Tomlin, breach it and let it go back to court to defend it .... have you got a copy of the Tomlin still ?
                          Yes still have the Tomlin for about 6.5k and there is a clause where parties have permission in the event of default under the terms of the schedule. Tomlin is in the name of Phoenix.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X