• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Fee Changes - March 9th 2015 (possibly - there's a LOT of argument going on)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Fee Changes - March 9th 2015 (possibly - there's a LOT of argument going on)

So for general awareness and warning.... these are to come in on March 9th, really only affects claims over £15k, so isn't hugely going affect the type of claims we deal with which tend to be small claims under £10k, but those over £15k the issue fee is going up a lot, the fee for a £15k claim is going up from £550 to £750, a £20k claim up from £550 to £1000, a £30k claim up from £550 to £1500, and so on. A £200k claim is going up from £1315 to £10,000

So thinking back end, if a creditor sues you for a loan of £20k costs of £1000 will be added instantly they issue a claim.

There's also rumblings and consultation on further changes but to application fees and repossession claim fees. The application fee is going to be of major concern, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it - I have lodged our opposition to it, for what that's worth.
    Attached Files
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Court Fee Changes - March 9th 2015 (possibly - there's a LOT of argument going on

bbc parliament live right now is interesting....
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Re: Court Fee Changes - March 9th 2015 (possibly - there's a LOT of argument going on

This is coming into effect on Monday.

Comment

County court backs law student McKenzie Friend scheme

Drake: legal advice centre of last resort

Huddersfield County Court has backed a scheme in which local law students act as unpaid McKenzie Friends to help litigants in person.
        Phil Drake, senior law lecturer at Huddersfield University, said duty solicitors at the court would approve suitable cases when the scheme launches later this month.
        He said a district judge had briefed a group of around 20 students on how the court system worked, what they can and cannot do as McKenzie Friends and the purpose of being one.
        After they acted as a McKenzie Friend, Mr Drake said district judges would give each student a brief feedback session on their performance and what they might do differently.
        http://legalfutures.co.uk/latest-new...-friend-scheme
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

We're trying to get this introduced nearer the West Mids, so hopefully this will help!

Comment

Brilliant. It's really needed, all over the country. Gives the student an really useful experience and the feedback from the Judge is a great idea.... and it will really help people who fall outside the system for help. We could do with those law students coming on here (and other similar sites) and helping in real cases ( informally of course).
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by dan_1207 View Post
              This is coming into effect on Monday.
              Wrong, it takes effect for anything sent to the Court and not marked as received by Monday, if you issue today, then the Court wont get it til Monday then you will be stung with the new fees. The fee remissions are also now very interesting too.
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

They are complicated aren't they PT I was reading them on someones blog ( Gordon's possibly) yesterday.

Ah nope - it was Kerry Underwood - https://kerryunderwood.wordpress.com...ee-remissions/
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                  Wrong, it takes effect for anything sent to the Court and not marked as received by Monday, if you issue today, then the Court wont get it til Monday then you will be stung with the new fees. The fee remissions are also now very interesting too.
                  Which means it comes into effect on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    Brilliant. It's really needed, all over the country. Gives the student an really useful experience and the feedback from the Judge is a great idea.... and it will really help people who fall outside the system for help. We could do with those law students coming on here (and other similar sites) and helping in real cases ( informally of course).
                    I'd like to think that the other students in my class would be interested in it. I'll mention it to them, as they're also in practice.

Comment

We're always grateful for any help.

I wonder if there is a way we can set up a McKenzie friend type scheme through the forum.... or if it would fail at the first hurdle - regulation.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by dan_1207 View Post
                        Which means it comes into effect on Monday.
                        No, my point is, if you send a claim form today as a LiP say for a claim for unfair credit card charges, youre now going to have to plan ahead as the fee will be the higher level.
                        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

If you whack it in on MCOl you'll be okay though ?

TBF most unfair credit card charge claims wouldn't be affected adversely as they are below £15k.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Dan if that is something that interests you, you could offer to act in sub £10k as a lay representative as it's pretty much an automatic right sub £10k.

There are plenty of those on the forum although how many are near enough to you, i don't know. Hope admin would approve

M1

Comment

Yes of course. I think it is an area that warrants further investigation and thinking about all round tbh.

Back on the huddersfield bit - http://www.hud.ac.uk/news/2015/febru...tostrength.php

spread that through out the countries universities and make it accessible to those who cannot visit the legal advice clinics etc ( eg by enabling contact/communication online) could be seriously worth thinking about.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X