• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Question Re. Evidence of work not done

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Re. Evidence of work not done

We got an estimate for a house improvement. We agreed a price and paid a deposit. Regrettably although we can prove we paid the money to him we have no paperwork to show what for. OTOH he wouldn't be able to show that he did any work in our house to justify the deposit. I've started the initial process of taking him to the small claims court by sending a letter before action but I'm wondering what our chances are of winning given the lack of paperwork?
    Some additional information, He runs a one man company from a small unit and this address is on the govt. companies register. We can find no home address for him and we can never find him at the unit but have sent a letter before action to this address and his email address. We know he is still working but cannot contact him apart from leaving a message as he no longer answers the phone to us.He has recently taken deposits from at least two other people and not done the work.
    We know we were daft not to get the job down in writing but he had already done some work for us and we trusted him. Lesson learned.
    Any advice will be gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Hi BRADGATE

Lodge a complaint with Trading Standards via CAB. If you do that with the other 2 people plus, your complaints will carry more weight.

How did you pay him? If you have his full name, you can use 192 website to track his home address. Check social media for activity.
    MyBuilder.com etc.

Essentially it becomes his word against yours, but then you are aware of others who has been 'scammed' by the builder.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I gave him fourteen days to respond to my letter before action. Should I continue with that as well as contact CAB? Would it cause a problem that I've sent a letter before action but not proceeded with it.
      Regarding the two others he has scammed I have no way of contacting one of the two and the other who I have been in contact with has probably already started their court action. I wish I had found this forum before as I asked the question on a non law related forum and their advice was go to the small claims court. I can see now that although that was good advice I perhaps should have tried CAB first.
      I should also point out that I can prove that I have left messages asking him to contact us urgently and its now several months with no contact from him so a court would know that he has been totally unreasonable as if he had done the work he would have obviously replied to say so. IOW he has given us no opportunity to resolve this amicably.
      Thanks again.

Comment

just a question - are there no addresses for directors on Companies house?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          just a question - are there no addresses for directors on Companies house?
          He is the sole director now although there was another up until a couple of years ago. The only address given though is his unit on a small industrial estate.
          He seems to rarely go there.

Comment

So the company address and the directors address are the same? Did you pay and download any info to see if there are any clues in it? I seem to remember you can order accounts etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradgate View Post
              Thanks for the advice. I gave him fourteen days to respond to my letter before action. Should I continue with that as well as contact CAB? Would it cause a problem that I've sent a letter before action but not proceeded with it.
              Regarding the two others he has scammed I have no way of contacting one of the two and the other who I have been in contact with has probably already started their court action. I wish I had found this forum before as I asked the question on a non law related forum and their advice was go to the small claims court. I can see now that although that was good advice I perhaps should have tried CAB first.
              I should also point out that I can prove that I have left messages asking him to contact us urgently and its now several months with no contact from him so a court would know that he has been totally unreasonable as if he had done the work he would have obviously replied to say so. IOW he has given us no opportunity to resolve this amicably.
              Thanks again.
              It's not a problem, providing you are taking other steps to resolve the matter, Trading Standards etc. But if you send an LBA you should go through with it.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                So the company address and the directors address are the same? Did you pay and download any info to see if there are any clues in it? I seem to remember you can order accounts etc.
                I had another look. There are accounts you can download which are free but they all still just state the company address.
                I've also tried 192 as Echat11 suggested but I would have to pay £15.99 and I think it may just come up with his company address.
                Thanks for your help.
                Edit to say that if I click on his name it gives a correspondence address which is the same as the company address.
                Last edited by Bradgate; 2nd February 2022, 12:54:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

It's not a problem, providing you are taking other steps to resolve the matter, Trading Standards etc. But if you send an LBA you should go through with it.
                  That's very helpful. Thank you. I will contact CAB..

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X