• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CPR 31.14 and CPR 18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPR 31.14 and CPR 18

Hi

I have been doing some reading and am curious

I have read that CPR 31.14 and CPR 18 requests are not valid in the small claims track

I have tried to read part 27 of the civil procedure rules and it seems to confirm this

So my question is
    If you ask for documents and the claimant refuse or are unable to supply them, for example the default notice , can they be forced by a judge to produce them and if so is there a formal method for forcing such disclosure

I also have read that in the fast track this is done via a form that costs rather a lot of money , would this still be the same if they can be forced.

Maybe @charitynjw @Diana M [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] could help
    Tags: None

Re: CPR 31.14 and CPR 18

Originally posted by Linus View Post
    Hi

I have been doing some reading and am curious

I have read that CPR 31.14 and CPR 18 requests are not valid in the small claims track

I have tried to read part 27 of the civil procedure rules and it seems to confirm this

So my question is
    If you ask for documents and the claimant refuse or are unable to supply them, for example the default notice , can they be forced by a judge to produce them and if so is there a formal method for forcing such disclosure

I also have read that in the fast track this is done via a form that costs rather a lot of money , would this still be the same if they can be forced.

Maybe @charitynjw @Diana M @nemesis45 could help
    When a claim is issued it is not already allocated to any track, so CPR31.14 applies until the allocation to the SCT, the process if one wanted to press the request to apply for an

" Unless Order" (fee payable) asking a judge to compel disclosure of the documents the cost however is often prohibitive on a small claim.

nem

Comment

Thanks
      I guess it would have to be timed quite carefully so that the unless order was done before allocation to the small claim track.

Is the fee £255? I can see why it might be prohibitive on a claim for just a few hundred pounds but maybe important if the claim is several thousand.

Well that is a question answered

I noticed on another site that they say send part 18 requests because 31.14 does not apply but i see 27(2.1)(f) says part 18 does not apply either.

Comment

Thanks
        I guess it would have to be timed quite carefully so that the unless order was done before allocation to the small claim track.

Is the fee £255? I can see why it might be prohibitive on a claim for just a few hundred pounds but maybe important if the claim is several thousand.

I noticed on another site that they say send part 18 requests because 31.14 does not apply but i see 27(2.1)(f) says part 18 does not apply either.
        Hi
        the cost for an application is only £100 not £255 IF you tick box 'without a hearing' which is basically what you want
        remember if you do this application with an "Unless order" (which we have done twice- with Lowells and Restons/Arrow) then you can ask for the costs of application back from claimant (make this part of the order)

hope that helps
        "It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking
        and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution
        before tomorrow morning." -Henry Ford

Fiat currency- the curse of modern money system

Comment

GOODF per chance?

Both will apply before the case is allocated (although it is still arguable) - hence the unless order app should be done before submitting any defence if the claim is likely to go into small claims ( ie under £10k and not complex )

Part 18 is for further info ( ie. questions you want answering ) CPR 31.14 is for documents mentioned in statement of case.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks

Yes and Yes to your two questions above.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              GOODF per chance?

Both will apply before the case is allocated (although it is still arguable) - hence the unless order app should be done before submitting any defence if the claim is likely to go into small claims ( ie under £10k and not complex )

Part 18 is for further info ( ie. questions you want answering ) CPR 31.14 is for documents mentioned in statement of case.
              Hi if GOODF is get out of debt free, yes that is where I saw that, there only seem to be two people on there that have any skills whatsoever even if they recommend using part 18 and not 31.14

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X